1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual Tranny Question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by alx_alx_69, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Jan 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    alx_alx_69

alx_alx_69 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hope Mills, North Carolina
    I got a 6 speed manual, sometimes from a dead stop I start in 2nd gear because 1st gear is so short, will this cause damage to my clutch or anything like that, or is it not a big deal?

2. Jan 13, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    Toymaker

Toymaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra RCSB 4x4 TRD OR, Black
    The thing that wears out a clutch more than anything else is starting off from a dead stop. That requires the greatest amount of gas and the slowest release of the clutch pedal. That combination is what's most damaging to your clutch. Starting off in second gear means you have to compensate by giving the engine even more gas and letting your foot off the clutch even more slowly than you would when starting from first gear. This puts more stress on the clutch, consequently resulting in it wearing out faster than normal.

The lower gearing isn't there just to make you accelerate faster, it's also necessary in order to put less stress on your drive train when taking off.

Compensate for the lower than usual first gear by simply upshifting to second faster and earlier. It doesn't take long to get used to and helps save you money and time at the repair shop in the long run.

3. Jan 13, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    CtYankee

CtYankee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 black 4x4 acc
    step bars, bull bar, tint, bug shield, debadged, tires and rims
    how bout going from 2nd to 4th gear? i sometimes skip over 3rd... my previous taco i started doing that cuz the clutch was starting to wear. i fugured the less i stepped on the clutch the better. now, its kinda just a habit.

4. Jan 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    vball6pac

vball6pac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Alexandra, VA
    Vehicle:
    white 09 4dr TRD O/R 4x4
    Front skid plate. Hood protector, and wade in-channel guards. K&N CAI. Weathertech floormats, and door scuff guards. Tri-fold soft tonneau cover.
    I just use 1st to get her rolling, then shift to 2nd. gas mileage is a little better than if I try it from second as well.

5. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    Toymaker

Toymaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra RCSB 4x4 TRD OR, Black
    I sometimes do the same thing. As long as you ensure that you're going fast enough as to not bog the engine, you're ok. Being in too high a gear though for your speed will overload the engine's valvetrain components, cause premature wear and could cause damage. Nice thing about rolling along is that you can quickly push the clutch in and correct it in case you mis-judge a shift point.

6. Jan 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    CtYankee

CtYankee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 black 4x4 acc
    step bars, bull bar, tint, bug shield, debadged, tires and rims
    k, thanks for the info.

Products Discussed in

To Top