1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual transmission fill plug sort of stripped

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by abqnurse80, May 6, 2019.

1. May 6, 2019 at 11:50 PM
    abqnurse80

abqnurse80 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    ABQ, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    Bilstein 5100 all around, first clip front. AVS window visors, BFG AT KO2s. JBL.
    Last time I changed my tranny fluid, kind of marred up the threads... Could still get it in, but threads looked not great. I'm not sure if I did this, or from previous service not by me. Looking for am18 x 1.5 tap and die set, but hard to come by. Found one on Amazon, looks to be Chinese... Anyone have any hints on where to find one?? Or any other ideas?? Thanks!!!

2. May 7, 2019 at 1:13 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
  3. May 7, 2019 at 1:51 AM
    abqnurse80

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    ABQ, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    Bilstein 5100 all around, first clip front. AVS window visors, BFG AT KO2s. JBL.
    Thanks @Jimmyh !!! Working nights,and a little delerious!!! Didn't see those ones.. have a set, minus the big ones!!!

4. May 7, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    fixnfly

fixnfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    S.W.PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access cab 4.0 4WD
    Teflon tape works great for this.
    Wrap the plug and screw it in.

abqnurse80[OP] likes this.
  5. May 7, 2019 at 10:22 AM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the tap but there are a couple of things you may want to keep in mind. The case is aluminum and is thin at that location of the fill plug, and not the best working room available as you know. The tap is 4" in length.

If this were mine I think I would probably disconnect the front drive shaft to give more room to work and focus on getting the tap in straight.

I would also be tempted to try a clean-up of the threads by first trying the tap in my hand without using any tools. There is no filter (or magnet) in the RA60 to catch detritus so maybe grease both the tap threads and those of the fill hole to catch as much fall as possible.

You may have a back-up as there is another plug higher up on the case on the same side that could also be used as a fill port if it looks like the one you are working on is terminal and you decide to quit before permanently damaging the case. I believe that this other fill location can only be accessed by removing the console cover around the shift lever. You would then have to measure 1.9 qt. (2 qt.) for the fill.

6. May 7, 2019 at 4:12 PM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    This is what I would try first. Apply tape liberally and install just good and snug. If the plug is going in straight, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    I always use Teflon tape on my drain and fill plugs anyway. No drips, I believe it keeps them from seizing up and the added interference of the tape, in my mind, is added insurance to keep one from loosening later.

7. May 7, 2019 at 11:57 PM
    abqnurse80

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    ABQ, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    Thanks man, sound advise. Will give it a try to just clean it up. Might wait to try to tap it until I do my clutch sometime this year along with mt-90

Products Discussed in

To Top