1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual Transmission gear oil leak

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bernduffy, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Oct 18, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    bernduffy

bernduffy [OP] Member

Member:
    Firstly: apologies for stupid questions...and even stupider behavior.
    Tired of hauling my pontoon fishing boat around on my car rooftop, I bought a 96 V6 ExCab with 175K miles for fishing and camping here in Oregon (Fisherman's Paradise). It checked out with my mechanic so I pulled the trigger and enjoyed 3K miles of camping & fishing bliss.
    One day about a month ago, I notice a spot of oil on the driveway, check oil, it looks a little low, top off. Continue to see oil, now at baseball size. Dipstick not reading lower, but I figure it's got to be oil engine oil. It felt, looked and smelled like engine oil and was coming from under engine. But the oil level was staying at full. I know: this is when I should have gone to a mechanic.
    Last week I'm shifting to 2nd uphill and there's reduced drive. I can't get over 15 mph at 3500 rpms. 3rd gear won't get me going beyond 25mph even on the flat. Yes, there was the smell of burning clutch. I pull over, call AAA and get towed home. I call a couple of mechanics who tell me clutch needs replacing. But then I remember the mysterious oil leak. I crawl under the transmission and find its all coated with oil. I then realize that my driveway is slightly slanted and the oil from transmission was flowing down to a misleading location. It was the trans oil I was seeing on driveway. So, what I'm wondering: is there any chance the trans leak can be repaired, gear oil replaced and clutch job avoided? I know this is wishful thinking. I also know I'm an idiot for not correctly diagnosing or at least having a mechanic diagnose the initial problem.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Oct 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    If the trans ran dry you will probably need it rebuilt or replaced. As for the clutch, if fluid got on the disc then it will have to be replaced.

Posted via :sandwich:

3. Oct 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    bernduffy

bernduffy [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks.... I'd say "Live and learn"...but I'm getting a little old for that...

Anyway: I'm lovin' this truck. Wish I had made the move a long time ago.

Best moment so far: Backing down a very steep gruesome boulder strewn hill to launch my boat onto a lake while a coupla dozen fellow fisherman, backed up and waiting for the boat ramp, stood watching. To add insult to injury, then caught a fat kokannee as I trolled out past the ramp.

Yeah, baby: Eat my mud and surf my wake!

Cheers,
    Bernie
    Oregon

To Top