1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

map lamp question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Urban Redneck, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Aug 31, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    Urban Redneck

Urban Redneck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 3.4L V6
    I need to replace the rear view mirror on my 2004 Taco. The old one didn't have the map lamp. How hard would it be to put in the map lamp version with this new one? Is it just a couple screws or will I have to undo the ceiling lining and mess with the roof. I'm a total rookie here.

2. Aug 31, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    BAZZMAZZA

BAZZMAZZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 and then some...
    OME-882 Coils + Nitro- Sport shocks, ARB Compressor, Spare fuse box, ALL-PRO Bedrack
    Very easy actually. I have done this twice now.

Remove old mirror and you should see the factory mounting holes in the cab behind the headliner you will have to cut out the headliner material in order to place map lamp in the holes. Mark outline of map lamp against the headliner (the holes should be there) and cut an X in the slot with a razor blade then trim the pieces until the map lamp fits into place. Set the lamp aside for now.

Remove drivers side "oh sh!t" handle and A-pillar.
    Remove drivers side sun visor (you need the room to fish the wire)
    fish a 16-18 guage wire from map lamp location under the headliner to the drivers side A-pillar take extra wire for both ends and let hang.

Remove console lamp (one that comes on when doors are open) and determine which wire is hot there is only one I believe. NOTE the color ** and replace console lamp in headliner your done with it.

On the drivers side A-pillar find that same color wire there is a bundle of them tucked in the channel you will probably need to cut the tape and find some slack for the splice and make a three way splice (if not you will lose power to the console light) to the wire you ran from the mirror to the A-pillar. BAM you should have a "hotwire" now. Check the voltage with a meter 12 volts!

Now splice the hotwire into the map lamp and install it. You only need a hotwire the map lamp will ground via the screws that attach the map lamp to the roof. (test the light now)

Replace A-pillar, oh sh!t handle and sun visor.

PROJECT NOTES:
    Both the console light and map lamp are grounded via the attachment screws. The hotwire is a constant 12 volts.

On the map lamps I installed I only needed the two screws to secure it to the roof there are two other screw holes on the map lamp (corners) itself but you dont need to use them.

I like the splices at Home Depot they come with solder and heatshield allready and they just slip over the splice then use a heatgun for the best splice. But in a pinch you can get away with just twisting them together just tape them well.

I purchased two map lamps from ebay (older Tacomas and 4runners) dont exactly know the years but at least 96-2004 I am fairly certain they are the same. Be sure they come with the plug and connector with some wire to work with.

This is a very easy job took me an hour the last time I did it. GOOD LUCK! and let us know how it turns out.. BAZZ

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    lvs2rock likes this.
  3. Sep 1, 2011 at 5:52 AM
    Urban Redneck

Urban Redneck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 3.4L V6
    Excellent write up! :thumbsup:

4. Feb 27, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    Itsataco

Itsataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner SR5 Reg Cab. CA truck. Black Sand Pearl Metallic. Low Miles
    5 star V6 factory wheels with Kumho Mud Tires. All original truck.
    I have the single map light mirror combo. There’s a switch/lever that goes from off to door to on my assembly. I just got the dual map light assembly out of the same year truck as mine. Is this a plug and play situation or will I need to make modifications?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Feb 27, 2021 at 3:35 PM
    Blue92

Blue92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 2.7L
  6. Feb 27, 2021 at 3:45 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    You should upgrade to the
    Gentex 453 mirror since your there,
    3 home link buttons for garage
    Compass
    Outside temperature
    auto dimming lens
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...pass-auto-dimming.553041/page-2#post-24439896

D88F2067-94C6-4631-B8E5-D53CA7A00481.jpg

7. Feb 27, 2021 at 5:03 PM
    Itsataco

Itsataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner SR5 Reg Cab. CA truck. Black Sand Pearl Metallic. Low Miles
    5 star V6 factory wheels with Kumho Mud Tires. All original truck.
    the one I got today from the junkyard doesn’t have that door toggle button between the two map light buttons. I took it out of a 2004 access cab SR5.

8. Feb 27, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Look at the 4runners

Products Discussed in

To Top