1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Map Lights On with Dome Lights - No Diode

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Scooter, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Apr 26, 2009 at 12:00 AM
    Scooter

Scooter [OP] Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I read a thread a couple of days ago about someone finding a way to do the map light on with dome lights by just swapping polarity on the map light wires, and adding a wire to the dome light without the use of a diode. I just can't find it any more. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

2. Apr 26, 2009 at 12:02 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    click my link about the temp gauge.. or look it up on the free/cheap mods - its super easy this way.. i dont know of a nondiode way without putting way too much power through the lights in the wrong ways..

3. Apr 26, 2009 at 12:14 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Thanks, Unholycumulus, but I thought I saw a post on a way to do it without a diode. I know everything in me tells me you need a diode, but someone posted that they did it by swapping the poloarity on the map light wires, and then connecting the unused slot at the map light connector to the centre slot of the dome light connector, and swears it works. The dome lights do not come on when the map lights are switched on, but the map lights do come on when a door is opened.

4. Apr 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Bump!

5. Apr 26, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    the diode way is super easy. I have an extra one. PM me your address and i'll mail it to ya!!

6. Apr 26, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks very much, and I really appreciate the offer. I can get a diode locally easily enough. I was really curious on how someone did it without a diode. I thought I read it in an unrelated thread that went off on a little tangent, but completely forgot which thread it was, and searching turned up nothing. Maybe I was out of my mind and only thought I read it here at TW. It was quite late.

7. Apr 27, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Okay, I'm not going out of my mind. I found it. It's in the "Cheap/Free Mod" thread, Post #504 to 511. Has anyone else tried this, and did it work?

8. Jun 2, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    frizb99

frizb99 New Member

Member:
    I believe you may have seen my post on toyotanation forums. I talked about doing the mod without a diode. I have linked to my post with pictures, but you may want to check out this link to see the end of the thread. I chimed in at post 191.

Products Discussed in

To Top