1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

mark your oil filter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by scrantonscrambler, May 26, 2012.

1. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    Hrm very troubling. Gonna mark my oil filter tomorow! If I can find it, never changed own oil before, but would like to learn how if anyone has a link to a good writeup on it?

[​IMG]

2. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  3. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If you have a 4.0 it's the easiest thing in the world.
    If you have a 2.7 it's the second easiest thing in the world.

Warm up the engine... drive 10 miles or so. When draining, be careful, hot oil is hot.

4.0, the filter is on top of the engine.
    Drain the oil, remove the rubber cap on the bottom of the cup, put a coffee can under the nipple, spin the filter off, clean out the cup, put the rubber cap back on, install the new filter, put the drain plug back in, and refill with the required amount of oil.
    Start the engine, make sure the oil light goes off. Let it run for a few minutes while you look under and check for leaks, and check around the filter for leaks.
    Shut it down, let it sit for 5 minutes, check the oil on the dipstick to make sure the level is correct.

2.7? Same procedure except the filter is on the side of the engine behind the right front tire. Access is from under the frame behind the LCA/crossmember. It's a bit tight with the exhaust there, but I haven't burned myself yet. The filter is upside down, but a fair amount of oil will run from the mount when you break the seal, so make sure that the drain pan is situated to catch it. On mine, it drips directly onto the trans cooler lines.

BTW: There are two drain plugs under there. One is for the transmission... do NOT remove that one. The oil drain plug it tucked up behind the crossmember toward the front of the truck.

4. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    In 2000 I bought a 97 ram the next week the motor started tapping I checked the oil & nothing on the dip stick. I took it back & they checked the motor,changed the oil & everything was fine. The dealer told me this has happened before & later found out the tech doing the work was putting 1 quart in & taking 4 quarts & the filter home on almost every one he did. They checked his car & found oil,oil filters & air filters.

5. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    I'm surprised how many people let the stealership change their oil.

6. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    Not only do I mark my oil filter, I've labeled my tires with paint pens in the tread so I know if they are rotating my tires. Never had a problem yet from the dealer here in western branch area of Chesapeake, VA.

7. Jun 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    Puppypolice78

Puppypolice78 Active Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    4X4 2.7L
    Going to see if I can catch up with the customer service manager there tomorrow or at least in the next few days. It's not the Wilkesboro one, but I'm hesitant to say exactly which one because I'm not sure how far I want to take it yet and I don't want to post anything that might somehow hurt my case.

8. Jun 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Barry70Stang

Barry70Stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    West Monroe, La
    Vehicle:
    TX TRD Tacoma
    Toyota toolbox, Marathon seat covers and Husky liners.......so far!
    After reading this thread, I stood back there in the shop and watched the guy service my truck. Actually I helped him rotate the tires. Perks of a small dealership I guess. I'm sure most large dealerships won't let folks into their shop for liability reasons.

9. Jun 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    First of all it was 'free' as you stated so if your willing to risk your truck for free stuff by all means enjoy being paranoid, but that makes zero sense to me to risk anything for free shit, contract or not.

Now if it was me and I was that frugal I would just stop by the dealership and get them to give me the free oil, crush washer, and filter then do it myself. Hell I would ask for 2 years worth of filters, crush washers, and oil so I wouldn't be wasting my time or gas driving back every month.

You do realize your also wasting your time going to the dealer for this? For the time it takes to drive to my dealer (15-20) minutes I could change the conventional oil in (5) V-6 Tacoma's. My time is worth more to me then sitting in a dealership lounge watching shitty TV and drinking poop free coffee for an hour.

Your telling me. Some people don't know what really goes on. My buddy is a tech and works on Lamborghini, Land rovers, Aston Martins, etc for a very high end dealer. He has an entire drawer of his 20' long 30k tool box full of "spare" parts off of cars and he is one of the good ones.

10. Jun 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I will mark my tires and filter the next time I come in. Have been doing oil changes at the dealer since 09 when I bought the truck there. I trust that they are doing the job right, but a check for my peace of mind does not hurt...

11. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    I'm coming up on the first oil change on my 12 prerunner. One advantage is the dealer i'll go to has a readily visible bay for the customer to see all the cars on the lifts. It'd be nuts for them to 'miss' changing the filter.
    On my Sienna my old dealer (closed bays) would leave oil dripping down the fan blades; I'd just go get some towels from them and clean it myself and let all the customers wonder why I had the hood up in the dealer lot!!!; no sense po'ing the techs. No telling what they'd do.
    So wouldn't the parts manager have to be in on it for all the extra filters in stock, cause they have to issue (or not issue) the parts to the tech? I'm thinking fraud.....
    Anyone think of a cam on the hood to watch? Maybe audio too?

12. Jun 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    1C271

1C271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Off Road

They issue the filters, they just go in my toolbox for my own shit when I need them. screw your oil change, you'll never know ha ha ha lol

:brianr:

13. Jun 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

by by asshole

14. Jun 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I got my truck from dealer in Wilkesboro and they changed my filter. Your right new filter has different part #

15. Jun 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Any idea what the number is?

I never even though of the actual filters, but I only use the V8 Lexus filters on my Tacoma. Much more media then the Tacoma V6 filter = longer life at similar price points.

16. Jun 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    Idk the original filter #, but I can look at the one I have on now and get back to you

17. Jun 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    J Gibson

J Gibson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB,4wd,TRD Sport, tow pkg, MGM
    katzkin leather, toyota step bars, pro grill, advent overhead DVD player, cargo extender, bed mat, husky liners, impulse digital brake controller, avs bugflector, tinted windows, Firestone ride-rite air bags, ARE camper top with tool doors, ScangaugeII, ProEFX tow mirrors, ImMrYo rearview mirror lift bracket, Salex glove box and console organizers, 2020 Tacoma Pro styled wheels, 265/70 r17 Michelin MS2 tires, LED map lights, drivers seat extended and raised, ram ball tech deck installed, blacked out badges, tinted taillights, upgraded climate control knobs, ultimate headlight upgrade with Osram superbrights and wiring harness along wit OEM pro headlight housings.
    Sure enough, there are different part numbers. The original filter that came on my truck is 90915-20004. The replacement filter is 90915-YZZD3. The original is made in Japan, the replacement in Thailand.

18. Jun 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    J Gibson

J Gibson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB,4wd,TRD Sport, tow pkg, MGM
    katzkin leather, toyota step bars, pro grill, advent overhead DVD player, cargo extender, bed mat, husky liners, impulse digital brake controller, avs bugflector, tinted windows, Firestone ride-rite air bags, ARE camper top with tool doors, ScangaugeII, ProEFX tow mirrors, ImMrYo rearview mirror lift bracket, Salex glove box and console organizers, 2020 Tacoma Pro styled wheels, 265/70 r17 Michelin MS2 tires, LED map lights, drivers seat extended and raised, ram ball tech deck installed, blacked out badges, tinted taillights, upgraded climate control knobs, ultimate headlight upgrade with Osram superbrights and wiring harness along wit OEM pro headlight housings.
    The original filter that came on my truck is 90915-20004. The replacement filter is 90915-YZZD3. The original is made in Japan, the replacement in Thailand.

19. Jun 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
  20. Jun 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    I'm going to start marking! I have 2 free oil changes left and does anyone else get the "Talk to the service manager at your local dealership" statement from Toyota?

Products Discussed in

To Top