1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Marriage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Sharpish, Jul 13, 2020.

?

Would you get married again knowing what you know now?

1. Yes

156 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. No

105 vote(s)
    40.2%
  1. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:45 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    We just celebrated our 50th anniversary. Marrying her was the smartest thing I ever did. If the two of you are not happy, the wise thing to do is end it and look for the right mate. Life is too short for misery.

2. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    CJREX

CJREX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Was this the case initially or did it come about later in the relationship?

This is why it's important to really get to know someone before making the commitment.

I was engaged to a girl who was psycho, but hey, I was young, in love, and she was a nympho.

And then one day a moment of clarity of thought smacked me in the head "Do I want to spend the rest of my life dealing with this?"

I joined the military within a month of that.

I have Zero doubt that if I would've married that girl I would have been divorced within a few years.

I sincerely hope that you can work it out, but if she was like this when you started and you decided to overlook it for whatever reason, she's not going to change and you will be miserable.

3. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:55 AM
    kgarrett11

kgarrett11 Master Yoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    CA desert
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    ^^ What this guy said, except Im only 29.

4. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    07RedTacoDawg

07RedTacoDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Jamestown , NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Red Tacoma
    2 inch lift , tires and wheels
    Been married 40 years. We've had some disagreements , but no huge fights. Most were about dealing with 2 teenage boys. But , they are gone now. I had a good paying job so shes never worked outside the home. Now i am retired and we spend a lot more time together. I thought that might cause trouble , but we get along fine. Good luck with your marriage. Its hard on ya im sure.

DPTacomaGuy and Fargo Taco like this.
  5. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    Loan Wolve

Loan Wolve ‘18 DCSB OR 4x4

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Cement ‘18 OR 4x4
    Married for 10 and a couple for 14ish. Ups and downs (like every relationship). Here’s my 2 cents and hard-to-swallow pills:

-Marriage takes a ton of work. It’ll be a Taco that runs forever if you put enough preventative maintenance into it. But like an older truck, the longer you’ve got it, the more work you’ll need to put in. Sure you can trade it in, but the new version will have a bunch of quirks that drive you crazy as well.

-Men aren’t taught to process or express their emotions, and that doing so makes you ‘weak’ or a ‘bitch’. This means many of us have no clue wtf we are doing emotionally. This is why there are severe spikes in domestic violence after tragedies - men don’t know how to feel vulnerable and often lash out, as anger is our go-to way to deal with shit. But anger just ends a conversation or blocks another - it doesn’t win the war or get you anywhere.

-Women aren’t just “crazy” or a “bitch”. That’s dismissive, and you’ll never get to the root of the issue if you’re writing off someone as not being logical. If you think this way you’ll never have a successful relationship.

-If therapy doesn’t work, find a different therapist. Anyone can learn anything - any relationship can be built or rebuilt, if you both put in the effort.

-Even if you’re pissed at the other person, always try to take the high road. Reconciliation takes compromise.

I’ll shut up - I hope you & your partner find happiness in whatever path you go down. Keep your head up.

6. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:59 AM
    HelloMyNameIs

HelloMyNameIs I know words, I have the best words.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road in Cement
    OME 2885, Billie 5100s, HS Prog AAL, 255/85r16 Cooper ST Maxxs
    In my opinion two things are very important:

1.) She's your best friend. If she's not your best friend, don't marry her.
    2.) Agree on how money should be saved/handled/spent.
    3.) If she's not your best friend, don't marry her.

7. Jul 14, 2020 at 11:05 AM
    Hextall

Hextall Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    If you're willing to call your wife a bitch on a public forum, then likely the marriage is doomed and you already know it won't last. from someone who got divorced last year after 17 years of marriage (about 16 happily), look into mediation over full blown lawyer faceoff. Advice: be cordial and calm now so that your divorce doesn't turn into a nightmare.

I have a friend who went through a nightmare divorce that cost them over $100k. My calm and reasonably mediated one probably ended up costing us no more than $5k.

Spare Parts likes this.
  8. Jul 14, 2020 at 11:13 AM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    O3 Rubicon wrangler
    Frankenstein lift, warn winch, heavy rear bumper swing out
    Just had our 15th anniversary this past weekend. It ain’t easy and at times I felt we were on the verge of divorce she’s been at my side thru my time in the army and crazy moves chasing my career. I wouldn’t be where I’m at in life without her for sure.
    If you’re not genuinely happy or feel like you want to be a better person with her it might be looking for an exit. However I hope you can find a way to mend things.

9. Jul 14, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Relationships are hard, both party’s have to give %100, it’s not 50-50. I always hear, is she your best friend, never have I had any woman be my best friend.

10. Jul 14, 2020 at 11:32 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    1st marriage, 1 year.
    Lessons learned.
    Second, just had 25th anniversary and been together for 29, so, that's probably a yes for me...

11. Jul 14, 2020 at 11:51 AM
    Sharpish

Sharpish [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Money isn’t an issue. We both were debt free when we met each other. Our salaries, investments, savings and pensions are pretty much damn near equivalent. She actually makes a bit more than me now.

I shouldn’t have called her a B. I was having a roundly bad day in every way yesterday and was pissed off at life. My bad.

She used to be my best friend, now she’s more like a micro managing employer. Thanks for letting me vent, I’m going to keep working at it and make it successful.

12. Jul 14, 2020 at 1:05 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    So, she changed after you got married?

13. Jul 14, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    This is a VERY, VERY, VERYYYYYYYYYY condensed version of the last 12 months of my life outside or work and TacomaWorld.

Like others here, I spent money on the truck, boxes show up and I get reamed a new asshole...every single time. She had no problem spending $500 in a weekend on makeup and clothes, though. It got to the point where she was pressuring me to go on trips a TON and use the truck as intended. When the trips got cancelled and fell through, sure I was upset, but shewould get so pissed off that I still would not go regardless. Fast forward, sold the house in the city, bought a house in the suburbs to start the next stage of our lives. Better schools, better area, overall happiness increased. Was planning a weekend trip in June last summer. The week of the trip, I couldn't sleep one night. Something felt off. Checked her phone on the nightstand and sure as shit, there it was. All the proof I needed. She was planning on having a guy come over to MY house and another guy out on the street to watch the house in case I came back early from the trip. Confronted her and she said it wasa "joke" and that she would never do it.

Fast forward to September (3 months later). She leaves. November, she made an official announcement on Facebook that she is seeing another guy (different than the one in the story above). This new guy was over for a party one time with a bunch of other friends. I went to sleep after most people left and woke up at 3:30am that night to find that this new guy she is seeing was still at the house, alone with her WHILE I WAS ASLEEP UPSTAIRS. Fast forward again to a few months ago. Officially divorced. Marriage (on paper) made it almost 4 years.

Moral of the story? My Tacoma is morereliable and trustworthy than my ex-wife.

FACTS.

14. Jul 14, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    JohnT43

JohnT43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Radio
    My ex wife was a housekeeper. She divorced me and kept the house.

15. Jul 14, 2020 at 1:26 PM
    Sharpish

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    People don’t change. They can stop putting on an act though.

Fernando likes this.
  16. Jul 14, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    Sharpish

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    That really sucks man. At least cheating makes the decision simple.

17. Jul 14, 2020 at 1:33 PM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    She was a bitch before you married her but you did It anyway.

18. Jul 14, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    22 Tremor 402A, 22 T4R ORP
    Just celebrated 9 year Anniversary this week, 100% would do it all over again the same way. The key we have found is just to care more about the other person than you do about yourself. Only works when you both do it though, if one of you is selfish, you are going to have a bad time. No kids yet so can't speak to that, obviously can complicate things. Not saying we have not had challenges, we've been through school, job changes, cancer and chemo(me), moved cities, bought and sold several houses, made just a little money and made a whole lot. Can't really give you any advice about your current situation, but for me, when you pick the right one, it works.

E34A34B1-2D7C-4D8E-8BCE-61E29402ABAB.jpg

19. Jul 14, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    Sharpish

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Not a helpful comment but thanks anyways.

FMRAV4 likes this.
  20. Jul 14, 2020 at 1:45 PM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    That’s was the quick wake up answer. He’s the real one. My wife and I have been together 26 years. Marriage is work, it not all roses. There will great times, bad times sad times etc. it a road if hills and valleys. The hills are when everything is just as it should be and the valleys are when you need to work together as a unit to to get through. Communication is the key, always talk to each other and not at each other. And when you talk listen to each other but most importantly hear each other. The good times will always be awesome but its when you get through the hard times together that you’ll stand back and say to each “we made it”. And believe you me “we” is so much better than “I” . I wish you luck. Truly.

Products Discussed in

To Top