1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Marvel Mystery Oil, Anyone Use It?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Wadar, Apr 19, 2017 at 6:42 PM.

1. Apr 19, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    Wadar

Wadar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma TRD Xcab
    K&N 77 Cold Air Intake, Total Chaos UCA's, Warn M8000s, Factor 55 Fairlead and Flatlink E, Kenwood KDC-X598 Stereo, Bily 5100's W/ 2013 TRD Double Cab Coil Springs, Bily 5100's W/ Toy Tec Adjustable Lift Shackles, Method Race Wheel Grid's and American Racing AR 767 Wheels, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Glasstite Raven Topper, Extra Backup Lighting, Disabled DRL's, E-Locker Mod, All Pro APEX Front Bumper, 4 X Innovations Sliders, 200 amp Alternater and upgraded Charging System, Extra PIAA and Hella lighting, Paranoid Fabrications Switch Plate, Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares, Rhino Rack Towers and Bars, Küat Vagabond Rack...
    So I recently learned about Marvel Mystery Oil out in the wide world of web. Does anyone have experience with it. I was thinking about adding a quart at my next oil change, (which should be fairly soon) and was looking for a bit of feed back. Pro's, con's, etc. what is your experience with this stuff. I searched the TW and found about three pages of posts it had been mentioned in, but I didn't see a specific post just for this stuff.

IMG_0371.png

2. Apr 19, 2017 at 7:11 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    From my understanding, if you are using a modern engine oil, there isn't a need to add it, since they already contain the additives. I do use it when putting engines up for storage, or filling an engine after the rare pulling a motorcycle out of the water.

Wadar likes this.
  3. Apr 19, 2017 at 9:07 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR 4X4
    Stay away from oil additives. Just use the recommend oil and change it at the recommend interval.

TRD16 and Wadar like this.
  4. Apr 19, 2017 at 9:30 PM
    Wadar

Wadar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma TRD Xcab
    K&N 77 Cold Air Intake, Total Chaos UCA's, Warn M8000s, Factor 55 Fairlead and Flatlink E, Kenwood KDC-X598 Stereo, Bily 5100's W/ 2013 TRD Double Cab Coil Springs, Bily 5100's W/ Toy Tec Adjustable Lift Shackles, Method Race Wheel Grid's and American Racing AR 767 Wheels, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Glasstite Raven Topper, Extra Backup Lighting, Disabled DRL's, E-Locker Mod, All Pro APEX Front Bumper, 4 X Innovations Sliders, 200 amp Alternater and upgraded Charging System, Extra PIAA and Hella lighting, Paranoid Fabrications Switch Plate, Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares, Rhino Rack Towers and Bars, Küat Vagabond Rack...
    I did ask my Dad about it tonight also. He said its been around longer than he has, and has a million uses. Apparently it works on everything from sewing machines to airplanes. Along with that he reminded me that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Currently I don't have any problems with the truck, so maybe I'll leave well enough alone and stick with my regular routine of Mobil 1. It is about time to fire up my saw maybe I'll look at the 2 stroke mixture recommendations due to the fact it hasn't been run in a few months.

5. Apr 20, 2017 at 1:27 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck
    Super Springs
    In the past I used it for air tool oil .

I have sprayed it into cylinders of engines that had sit for quite some time prior to turning over.

It is good to have around Not sure I ever dumped a whole quart in at a oil change.

I have been using it since the late sixties so it has been around for some time and still here.

6. Apr 20, 2017 at 1:46 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Both of these, and also for storage of engines, remove plugs and squirt some in.

I've even used this as a fuel additive. Extra lubrication on mazda 13B rotaries, so you don't only depend on the oil injection.

Home brew octane booster, toluene+ some other stuff and Marvel Mystery as a lubricant. Back in the day, friend was too cheap to buy C16 for 7M and 1JZ supras.

7. Apr 20, 2017 at 1:47 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    But yeah, no real need for it in a Tacoma. You're better off just doing regular oil changes.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  8. Apr 20, 2017 at 1:48 AM
    neegdogdig

neegdogdig Untrained with bad experiences go go go!

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen DC V6 5Spd an all purpose truck
    Been using it ever since my 01 taco turned 2 year old 1 quart every oil changed and pour 3 ounces into the gas tank every 4 months Marvel Mystery Oil works like magic. My taco is 16 years old and trouble free runs like champs IMG_6697.jpgIMG_6518.jpg IMG_6141.jpgIMG_6511.jpg

9. Apr 20, 2017 at 3:10 AM
    httuner

httuner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-OffroadPckg
    Never used it before but I got an older friend in his late 60s whose been using it on his diesel VWs and trucks, he says it helps with valve ticks and has kept a lot of his engines quiet.

I don't think it'll do any harm. I wouldn't use it personally, just because I don't see need for it.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  10. Apr 20, 2017 at 8:37 AM
    Lostsheep

Lostsheep Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 6spd 4x4 OR
    6112s and 5160 , 3 leaf AAL , Superbumps x4 , u-bolt flip , All Pro Skids , 265/70R17 KO2s, SEMA wheels, couple of machined things here and there
    My grandpa had us put a bit of it in our 63' vette that had been sitting for 20 years and had developed a couple of really bad ticks. Quieted right down until we yanked the engine and rebuilt.

That being said, I would absolutely not put it my Taco until at least 1/4 million miles.

I see it as more of a patch than preventative maintenance.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  11. Apr 21, 2017 at 4:40 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I use it mostly for small engines like lawnmowers and snowblowers. Ill dump some in before an oil change, seems to clean them better. I used to add it to my first cars which had carburetors, dumped it right into the carb and intake a little at a time. I dont see the need for it in modern engines.

12. Apr 21, 2017 at 12:37 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck
    Super Springs
    It should not hurt anything but will it help

lynyrd3 likes this.
  13. Apr 21, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 Strength ,Determination ,Merciless,Forever

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    New York ,upstate, Columbia county
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4
    Super White steel tail light protectors, 4 leaf Suspension TSB, Toytec 1 1/2 " AAL ,Rear bilstein 5100s ,front bilsteins set @ 1.75 ,Cooper AT3s 265/75/16,Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler ,AFE pro dry filter,Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors.N-Fab light bar with 4 Hella OR lights , Devil horns by Andres.... ,
    I heard it might be nothing but auto transmission fluid ? Rub it between your fingers , do you feel a very very fine compound in it ?

To Top