1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

master lock does not work!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TruckyTruck, May 19, 2012.

1. May 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
  2. May 21, 2012 at 5:21 AM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    '19 Barcelona Red DCSB TRD OR
    Roof rack, step boards, window visors, hood protector, tonneau cover, bed extender & small lift kit.
    I watched your video and tried to remove my tailgate again. You're right, it does come off if you push the bottom of the lock to the left. It's as if the lock will not close quite enough to keep it from being pushed in that direction. Damn.

3. May 21, 2012 at 5:48 AM
    g35man

g35man Discount Double Check

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC 4x4 OR
    Icon Stage II lift kit, LR uca's, Weather Tech floor mats, FX-R retrofit, Morimoto factory fit LED fogs, flyzeye designs cup holder lights, wet okole seat covers, upgraded Entune system
    I almost got a free one. Hopefully they can make changes so it will fit the tacomas.

4. May 21, 2012 at 6:18 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Like this...
    [​IMG]

5. May 21, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    You're pushing the front (as front of truck) of the lock inwards (towards center of truck) and the rear of the lock outwards as you attempt to remove the tailgate. This slips the lock off the front of the socket holding the tailgate pin, allowing that pin to come free of the socket.

The velco pads (or similar) can add volume to the socket to both tighten the lock over that socket and resist the twisting movement you did which slips the lock off the socket. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

-

6. May 21, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    I've got the velcro on mine - it makes no difference. Master lock clearly states the reason for the velcro is to eliminate rattles, it's not part of the security. If it was integral to the lock working it could be eliminated in 1 second w/ a pocket knife - fail....

David

7. May 21, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  8. May 21, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Oh, well. So much for that idea. I have a friend with one, which I helped to install. Didn't notice any problems then (seemed secure with velcro), but I'll ask if it can be twisted off like the video shows.

I have the Pop & Lock handle lock (electronic PL8521 version) on my tailgate. That eliminates all worries except when the tailgate is left down unattended for some reason, which is extremely rare in my case.

-

9. May 21, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
    OP, i would e-mail maters lock the video and see what they have to say about it.

10. May 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    MSU Spartan

MSU Spartan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '12 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    So after watching your video, I went and retried to remove my tailgate. You are absolutely correct it came off just as your did in less than 10 seconds. Epic Fail!! It is now packaged up and on it's way back to Amazon. Thanks for sharing and saving me my tailgate!

11. May 21, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    If you don't have a tonneau, the thief can open the tailgate's inside panel to access the latch and drop the tailgate. Obviously takes more time, but doable with an electric torx screwdriver if the victim truck is out of sight.

12. May 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    tpr676

tpr676 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just tried it and I could not believe it my gate came off, I just email masterlock to see what they will do.

13. May 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    MSU Spartan

MSU Spartan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '12 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Just ordered the Gate Keeper. Not much different in price. I'll be curious to what Masterlocks response is.

14. May 21, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Similar to a hose clamp, I used a flat band clamp. I don't have a photo, but it is installed with a metal locknut on a longish threaded "t"bolt.

I positioned the nut so that it must be tightened or loosened with an open end wrench. The fact that it is a locknut means you must wrench the nut all the way off.

Pain to install, and I hope a real pain to remove if you are in a hurry.

Cost was about $5.

PK

15. May 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    Let us know what they say. I just bought my lock a week ago, so i returned it.

16. May 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Coolerman

Coolerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    I currently have a hose clamp on mine but I had recently ordered one of these Master Locks for my tailgate. I may have to ship it back when it arrives. :(

17. May 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    I have the Bully tailgate lock on my truck

18. May 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    MahTaco

MahTaco Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Sport
    OME shocks and 885x coils, Dakar leafs, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, 17" ProComp 7089's, 2" black N-Fabs, ProEFX Tonneau Cover
    Wow, perfect timing on seeing this. Just checked with Amazon and today is the last day I could return it.. and off it goes!

19. May 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    When I did it that way it made it much easier to remove. In my case, and to see if yours is the same way, the head of the clamp was fully visible and accessible when the tailgate was closed. A direction example would be like reading the license plate and looking to the right. The whole daggum head could be accessed less than an inch past the sheetmetal. Any screwdriver could do it with 110% ease.

Maybe yours is tilted far enough back not to be an issue, it's not as square as mine was before I gave up and rotated it.

20. May 22, 2012 at 1:47 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Easier said then done. First, the thief would have to discover the existance of that lock on my truck, know how to deactivate it, and have the tools on hand to even attempt to go that far. That alone reduces the number of threats to my tailgate. Further, reaching under that panel is not so easy. The screws on the bottom and sides are not accessable while the tailgate is up. With only a few of the top screws removed, very little play exists to reach in to manipulate that latch. Of course, one could simply destroy that panel (or a tonneau), or steal the entire truck. Security is a balance, not an absolute.

Finally, in my case, the threat is reduced even more by the fact that my truck is parked in a garage at night, leaving few opportunities to gain access to the tailgate. I believe all that provides a reasonable level of protection.

Products Discussed in

To Top