MattJakob's 'Everything but a Tacoma' Thread

Discussion in '4Runner Builds' started by MattJakobs, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Dec 19, 2021 at 8:47 PM
    betterbuckleup

betterbuckleup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SC 2.7 4x4 5spd
    Stance on point

2. Dec 20, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    MattJakobs

MattJakobs [OP] Everything but a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Throwback to when I said I'd keep it stock...

Tried to buy some skids and sliders for the big pig but @Truck Brigade straight up ignored me a couple times, even after I called and spoke with them :boink:

3. Dec 28, 2021 at 2:17 AM
    Truck Brigade

Truck Brigade Well-Known Member

Member:
    I sincerely apologize for any confusion and inconvenience. Our intention is to ensure that every customer of ours has a great experience. I am not sure who you spoke with but I have reviewed the messages exchanged via forum and am personally happy to assist you to ensure that everything is squared away if you would like. I'll also be discussing this with our team to ensure that this does not happen again.

Please let me know if we can be of any assistance.

Thank you,

-TJ

4. Jan 6, 2022 at 10:57 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Thanks for clearing everything up via PM :cheers:

5. Jan 10, 2022 at 11:32 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Got a hell of a deal on a ADD Stealth Fighter Bumper, Baja Designs OnX6 Light Bar, and BNIB Smittybilt XRC 12k Winch w/ Synthetic Line late last week and threw it on Friday. Then headed up to the mountains for a weekend full of XC skiing and snowboarding. I still need to wire up the light bar, and I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the winch - it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, but I don't want the extra weight either. I'll probably end up installing it, but going to swap the springs in the Kings first. This will also help with the sliders and skids I ordered :spy:

[​IMG]Untitled by Matthew Jakobowski, on Flickr

6. Jan 10, 2022 at 12:32 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Not sure if that winch will be noticeable on the suspension, but my dad's 08 with the 5.7 doesn't even flinch at pulling 3 snowmobiles or a 22' wakeboard boat so not likely you'll have any noticeable issues with straight line performance.

7. Jan 10, 2022 at 5:08 PM
    essjay

essjay Part-Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5 (V6/AC/4WD)
    So, when are you turning all that chrome finish to black?

8. Jan 11, 2022 at 9:23 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Not so much worried about the straight line performance as much as I am carrying around the weight. The King springs I'm running are 600# - wouldn't mind bumping it up to 650# or 700# for the added weight of the bumper, potential winch, and forthcoming sliders & skids though.
    Been on the lookout for some TRD Pro takeoff headlights and a TRD Pro takeoff grill

9. Jan 30, 2022 at 5:39 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Took the Tundra + lady friend + doggos (the wirehair guy is mine) out to play in the snow over the weekend. Have to get back up there again next weekend. Had a good time, got a little stuck, and decided I night need to install the winch I have sitting in the garage.
    I also added an RCI front skid. Opted for 1/4" aluminum for a little bit of weight savings
    I've been contemplating changing the spring rate on the Kings - currently running 600# but think I might be better suited with either 650# or 700# with the addition of a winch and sliders (on order)

essjay and cbechtold like this.
  10. Feb 13, 2022 at 3:13 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Did a very unfortunate thing last week. But she's not totaled and the airbags didn't go off (get to keep clean title). Insurance adjustor quoted me for a new frame that's on backorder (ETA 2 months) - not too thrilled with potentially being out that long so I've been looking into alternatives.
    There's a somewhat local frame shop with great reviews and I've received a few recommendations for it. Tentative plan would be to get a payout from insurance for what the adjustor quoted, have the frame shop straighten everything out, and take it to a body shop for the body work. I should be able to expedite everything and may actually come out on top too. More interested in the expedited time line though.
    I had plans to run the Mojave Trail middle to end of March - I'm going to try to have the Tundra ready for it. Probably a bit of a far reach but why not try. Of the parts that need replacing, I'm going to try and upgrade to a set of TRD Pro headlights and a TRD Pro grill. Also need to do something about a bumper. I still have my stock bumper but thinking I want to get another offroad bumper - only problem is lead time on all the fully fabricated ones. Pending what insurance says, I've been thinking about picking up a welder and welding up a Coastal Offroad bumper. I really like the looks of it, it should save a few bucks, and most importantly - I should be able to have one delivered in two weeks time which hopefully means I can get it built before Mojave.
    I'm planning on making a few calls this week to insurance, body shops, and that frame shop. I'm going to try and push to get the Tundra into that frame shop ASAP and then see where I can fit it in at a body shop.

4x4runner2002 likes this.
  11. Mar 4, 2022 at 10:33 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    TLDR; White Tundra likely done-zo, set up deal for another Tundra that is pretty kickass

Couple updates...

Took the Tundra by body shop #1 to have the job quoted. They quoted me for a 5+ month lead time and a new frame. I didn't want to wait the 5 months so I checked into frame shops. Found one that said they could do the job, no problem. Told body shop #1 about this, and they didn't want any part of a partial repair - they wanted the whole job or nothing at all. Then I found body shop #2. We were talking about the frame and in that conversation, I had mentioned that I just wanted the truck totaled. They wrote me a new, slightly higher, estimate and filed it under a total loss. I went back and forth with insurance and it turns out I'm $3,500 under the threshold to total this vehicle. There's some additional damage under the hood so I'm heading to a mechanic this afternoon in hopes that this damage totals >$3,500. If so - totaled. If not, I'll get a check for the repairs from insurance and sell the truck to Copart, as-is.
    Either way, it's starting to sound like I will no longer have this Tundra - and I've already found the next one :hungry:

Update: Received a quote from a mechanic for $3,541 worth of additional damage under the hood. Submitted to insurance, now we wait.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  12. Mar 8, 2022 at 2:20 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
  13. Mar 8, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    betterbuckleup

betterbuckleup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SC 2.7 4x4 5spd
    Forget about the truck, that's a dope shop space

Dalandser and fatfurious2 like this.
  14. Mar 8, 2022 at 4:57 PM
    4x4runner2002

4x4runner2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 limited
    suspension and armor
    Too bad he didn’t get the shop with the truck hahaha.

15. Mar 8, 2022 at 7:09 PM
    cbechtold

cbechtold IG: @corybechtold

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Pleasanton, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 DCSB SR5 TRD 4x4
    Hot damn! Looks like she needs some sliders and a rear bumper and she'll ready to rip.

16. Mar 8, 2022 at 7:32 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Sliders sitting in garage. Can’t find a rear bumper I like too much. Hopefully picking it up Friday

cbechtold[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Mar 28, 2022 at 9:44 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Got back last night from a ~1,200 mile road trip (~165 miles were on dirt). Headed down to Laughlin, NV to run the Mojave Trail with some friends. Started in Laughlin and ended between Baker, CA and Yermo, CA.
    All in all, the trip was a blast. I got to break out my GFC Superlite for the first time and was super comfortable and wasn't able to tell much, if any, weight difference.
    Some takeaways from the trip...
    - Superchargers are FUN
    - I'd like a different bed mounting system for my tent. The Leitner rack is great but I don't think it's ideal for my application. Thinking of just going to a very simple bed rack consisting of two or three bed bars for the tent. Also considering an RSI Smartcap but I'm not sure how that would hold up to the abuse of an LT truck
    - A 37" tire mounted in the bed like it is takes up too much room on long trips. Thinking a vertically mounted tire will happen
    - I rub a good bit up front. I think a lot of this can be combated with some trimming and limiting the uptravel a tiny amount. I also think dual rate coils need to happen in the front. But I need to read more about those first
    - Hydro bumps up front are a must
    - The rear needs some work. It performed better than I expected but a SUA kit with some proper shocks/bypasses will go a long way in making sure the rear can keep up with the front
    - I need to make a case for spare parts/tools for this truck. I have one for the 4Runner so it's easy enough to make another one. While I didn't have anything go wrong with this trip, a lot could when doing that many miles and spare parts/tools would be a nice thing to have on hand if something does happen.
    - The HID lights up front don't do much in terms of good off-road lights. This needs to be addressed
    - A more permanent solution to mounting my fridge in the back would be nice. It was strapped in the back passenger side seat but bounced around a little bit, even when strapped
    - A proper phone mount will be nice for mounting my phone (which has offline maps)
    - Bigger brakes would be nice. The current (OEM) ones aren't terrible but having better braking power offroad will be a nice addition

Anyways, here's a few pictures.

Unner, foxrcing07, Dalandser and 3 others like this.
  18. Mar 30, 2022 at 12:51 PM
    Unner

Unner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    01 4Runner 4x4, 08 4Runner 4x4
    2001 4Runner, Lifted, Armored, 33s 2008 4Runner Stock
    I like how you went from a Prius, to a "stock" Tundra, to this latest Tundra. It looks good!

19. Jun 3, 2022 at 9:16 PM
    fatfurious2

fatfurious2 IG: great_white_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
  20. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:25 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Sold the silver Tundra.
    Trying to negotiate with someone on the next toy. I’d I get it, it’ll be a big project but a fun one.
    Still have the 4Runner, for now. It’ll likely go away if I get the one I’m negotiating for.
    Still not a Tacoma, so the thread will stay alive

Also, here’s the Tundra’s replacement
    4DB294B7-0415-423F-8076-14765AF1B68C.jpg

To Top