1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Max tire size

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Lucasmac94, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Dec 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM
    Lucasmac94

Lucasmac94 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    5 lug tacoma
    I have a 2014 tacoma 2wd, I have a 3” lift and want new tires, I just don’t know the max tire size for a 17”wheel. Any help would be welcomed! Thanks!

2. Dec 16, 2017 at 12:27 PM
    HackD

HackD Marching to the Beat of a Different Drum

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, eh?
    Vehicle:
    2010 Base 4x2, 2.7L, 5 speed manual 5-lug Slug
    Gone over the Top for a 5-lug..
    Max tire diameter size depends on a number of factors.. what are the offset of the rims being run - are you going to run up against frame/fenderwell/suspension pieces, with offset potentially putting the rims too deep under the fender even if they 'fit' in the wheel wells? Some have stuffed 33" diameter tires under their 5-lugs, with or without a 1" body lift coming into play along with the suspension lift.

Eyeballing the low-profile tires on the 17's in your profile picture, i'm thinking your present rim/tire combination is fairly close to the original 26.9" 215/70R15 tire size .. obviously a wider tire. So no significant gearing impact at this point, in the overall driveability state of your truck.

Start playing with tire size, and you start playing with gearing, performance, driveability and other issues that can get quite expensive and/or involved to resolve, quite quickly.

It is better that you do some background reading in the 5-lug section, and define for yourself what you want to do for the truck, and what the truck needs to do for you. Check your budget against that, and proceed accordingly. Plenty have gone before you.. other's have decided to leave well enough alone.

Bowers86 likes this.
  3. Dec 18, 2017 at 4:49 PM
    McDangle

McDangle Known Booper

Member:
    First Name:
    Mc Dangle
    Vehicle:
    33" 07 5 Lug
    All of Themz
    33x12.5r15 with a fully cranked MT system, and after taking a sledgehammer to the inside of the wheel well.... -3.75 BS I believe...

Products Discussed in

To Top