1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maxtrac Spindle Lift for 2nd Gen Prerunners

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by markmatters, Feb 11, 2012.

1. May 6, 2015 at 4:39 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    Yeah that makes sense. There's not enough threads to tighten the assembly.
    Are both Bilsteins like that?
    Sounds like you need to contact Bilstein or Headstrong & get it exchanged.
    Maybe tell them to put the stock struts back on while you get this resolved.

2. May 6, 2015 at 4:54 PM
    12thMan

12thMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrence
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DC PreRunner 2WD
    I spoke with the owner of Headstrong who says he wants to speak with them himself and get pictures because he doesn't think they are assembling it correctly, but if it is a manufacturing issue with Bilstein he said they would replace them.
    Of course, the shop here closed and so they didn't get to speak today or exchange the pics. I have to wait until tomorrow to get them on the phone with each other. This is exhausting. I have been waiting so long and done so much research to get the right stuff and it just had to be screwed up. FML

3. May 6, 2015 at 5:12 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    I know how you feel, my truck got hit & was in the shop for 40 days. One delay after another, the waiting sucks.
    I was gonna ask if they put them together right. Should be metal washer, bushing, top plate, bushing, washer & nut.
    Like this but in this pic it looks like the bushing before the top plate is missing.
    454138c7b147a214b77ee80a66abcbc4_08445fec87f15192accf89b57dd7d2604f5e03ae.jpg

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. May 6, 2015 at 5:36 PM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    To me it sounds like they might of forgot to put on the lower front shock absorber cushion retainer which is allowing the shaft to ride too far up not llowing it to tighten properly. Had to tell w/o pics or seeing what they did or didn't do.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  5. May 6, 2015 at 5:41 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking the same thing, I find hard to believe the shaft isn't threaded enough. Not impossible though.

6. May 6, 2015 at 6:57 PM
    12thMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrence
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DC PreRunner 2WD
    Thanks guys! I am frustrated, but I am so glad there are good guys across the country who care enough to talk me through this and help try to figure it out.
    I will hopefully have it all cleared up tomorrow. The hardest part is not being able to go over there myself because I have to go to work.
    I absolutely love TW and its members! definitely the best forum I have ever been on.

7. May 6, 2015 at 7:22 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    No problem, hopefully it's just something they over looked & can fix tomorrow. Let us know what you find out.

8. May 7, 2015 at 7:26 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Bingo!
    I got money on that bottom bushing underneath the top mount missing. Its usually adhered to it with adhesive, but some times that adhesive gives away and so during assembly it falls off and rolls away and is lost forever. The retarded part is they still should have noticed it missing if they have any experience with installs since this bushing has a lip that extends up through the stem hole in the mount making the stem fit nice and snug. The fact that they got as far as reassembling the strut without being able to understand whats going on tells me that they shouldn't being in business doing install work. Also for them to call Bilstein not understanding the 4x4 and Prerunners are the same with the exception of the front drive, just reiterates how stupid they really.

For the record just because and install tech might do this for a living, doesn't mean they should be or that they actually know what the hell it is they are doing.

9. May 7, 2015 at 3:54 PM
    12thMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrence
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DC PreRunner 2WD
    So, I went over there today and they walked me through everything. I do not think anything was lost or not used when trying to put the Bilsteins on because when they took the bilsteins off and put everything back together with the stock struts it went on perfect and drives great.
    They ordered another set of Bilsteins to compare to the ones I brought in. They will have them on Monday.
    They are also thinking that the bushings (yes they had both bushings in place) may have just been a little compressed form being on the truck with OEM struts and that it just needs a new set of bushings to go with the new struts.
    They are going to see the new struts on Monday and see what the difference is then. This is all at no charge to me.
    Right now I have my truck lifted, looking sweet as can be and running smooth with the OEM struts up front with the Maxtracs and the Billy 5125s in the rear with the 2" block.
    I'll post more updates next week when I have more answers.

10. May 7, 2015 at 4:41 PM
    maxtracbob

maxtracbob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Anaheim,Ca
    Vehicle:
    04 LJ (sorry)
    EVERYTHING
    Hey Guy's ... just wanted to say hi... it's been a while since I've been on.... So I told you guy's about hats and I still haven't seen them yet but it should be any day now... We will do it just like the shirts.... OK.... But you must have 35s on your truck... LOL... I will be back with hats....

11. May 7, 2015 at 4:49 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Well that's kinda good news. I don't buy the bushing theory, I reused mine & have had no issues. Besides if stock struts & 5100's @ 0 are the same length why don't the bushings work on the 5100's if they work on the stock ones.
    Oh & no pics? This is the point where you become a picture whore.[emoji16]

12. May 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM
    12thMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrence
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DC PreRunner 2WD
    Yeah, they had already put on my stock struts by the time I got to the shop. I was not able to go during these days due to work.
    But they are saying that it seems like a manufacturing error with this set of bilsteins, that's why they aren't the same length as the stock struts. We'll see when the new set of Billys show up.
    And yes, I will tell them to take a ton of pics this time!

13. May 7, 2015 at 5:26 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I believe the defect theory over the bushing theory.
    I meant pics of the final product or do you not have the truck back yet?

14. May 7, 2015 at 8:33 PM
    michaelrussell

michaelrussell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    belleview,FL
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner sr5 2.7 / 5 speed
    lots of stuff done more to do
    Sounds good ill be keeping an eye out and did someone say 35's IMG_20150504_113055.jpg

Bird33 and ChadsPride like this.
  15. May 8, 2015 at 4:33 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    I totally missed this yesterday.
    X2

35's [emoji16]
    67f5e2e284b07b34305da014cad897dc_b08d4a349884a7c4cd1e42d51775dcf5beaeb21e.jpg

16. May 8, 2015 at 4:04 PM
    Ricks2013

Ricks2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    Hats and 35's. Me likey!!:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

17. May 8, 2015 at 5:59 PM
    Taco Nation

Taco Nation Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Clinton, MS
    Vehicle:
    94.5 F350, 77 F150, 74 F100, 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Lift, wheels, tires
    Spindles arrived today! Waiting on 5100's and money for wheels and tires

18. May 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    I'm hearing the hats come with nice thick flat bills to go with everyone's black socks.

I'm going to request the none DB version hat which comes with a curved bill and a useless ultra thin beer cozy served merely for marketing purposes.

19. May 8, 2015 at 6:43 PM
    michaelrussell

michaelrussell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    belleview,FL
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner sr5 2.7 / 5 speed
    lots of stuff done more to do
    Spruce why doesn't your emojis work

20. May 8, 2015 at 7:03 PM
    HectoRome

HectoRome Playing Scientist In The PNW

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road Debadged, Icon Stuffs, MaxTrac Spindles, Dirt King LCAs, Archive Garage Shackle Flip
    59926P ICON 2.5 Remote Reservoir Front Coil Over Shocks 56103 Icon Rear Hydraulic Bump Stop Kit K53163 Icon RXT Leaf Springs Kit 58730 Icon 2.5 Front Remote Reservoir Coil overs 59926P Icon 2.5 RXT OMEGA Remote Reservoir By-Pass Shocks 58550 Icon Billet Aluminum Upper Control Arms Dirt King Steel Lower Control, 1” Uni-ball Joints Archive Garage Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Flip Kit TRD Cat Back Exhaust TRD High Flow Air Filter Kenwood Receiver + JL Audio Speakers Extended Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines Electronic Locking Rear Differential Rigid LED Driving Lights LED Bar in Bumper Top Windshield LED Bar Custom TACOMA Raptor Grill w/ LED Running Lights METHOD Standard Matte Black Wheels
    + 1 HeadStrong is a Solid Solid Company . . .

To Top