1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MBRP Dual Exhaust

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by scully, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    scully

scully [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Doublecab
    Rear TSB FJ Cruiser TRD anthracite wheels Bilstein 5100's allround Tint
    Getting ready to pull trigger on new exhaust and came across the MBRP XP Series dual exhaust. Looks good but not can't find too much info. Would love to hear from someone who has knowledge/experience w/ MBRP on their Taco. Priced at $455 shipped. Also considering TRD if I can get one for under $400 shipped.

2. Dec 27, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    I installed mine 2-1/2 years ago and it's holding up well. I did make up a hanger bracket to keep the drivers side brake line from contacting the added tailpipe and I wrapped the ABS wiring with a heat wrap. They were not touching but looked close enough to make me worry when the truck was loaded up.
    It is pretty loud too....especially on the highway if you're in the hammer lane against a barrier.

3. Dec 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    used to have one on my silverado I thought I sounded pretty good and so did my friends It was agressive but not too crazy overall I would recomend one and prob buy another not sure how it would sound on a v6 or a 4

4. Dec 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    I have had mine installed for a little over a year. It sounds great especially for a 6 cylinder. The guys at the shop that do all my work even talked me out of hollowing out the cat it sounds good the way it is. Just my .02. I powder coated the tips back so it looks awesome.

5. Jan 10, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    BajaNick

BajaNick Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Long Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4WD
    Sway-Away Shocks, TRD SuperCharger, MBRP Duel Exhaust, TRD Wheels and 33's
    I got the duels with black tips to match my rims, It installed in about an hour no problem and has held up nicely for about 6 months now. The coating on one of my tips started to flake after 21 hours of solid driving back from Mexico (I think I super heated it) and they sent me a new one under warranty no problem. I popped for the 304 kit as I plan to get 10 yrs and 200k out of my truck. I can get it up on the lift and take some pics for you next week if you want to check it out. just let me know

6. Jan 10, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    Mondwa

Mondwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Tacoma
    remote start, Allpro bumper, Slimchubby HID, MetalMiller custom Emblem
  7. Jan 10, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    scully

scully [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Doublecab
    Rear TSB FJ Cruiser TRD anthracite wheels Bilstein 5100's allround Tint
    BajaNick, I'm sure w/ the TRD supercharger your lovn' your truck. Thanks for the reply & would like to see pics

8. Jan 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I had one on my '09 and liked it quite a bit.

Keep in mind that unless you have a double cab long bed, you will need to measure and cut the straight pipe to the stock exhaust flange. I called MBRP about this and they said that they make the exhaust for the longest body configuation and everyone else would need to cut.

The stainless rear lines I had rubbed against the left side pipe so I put electrical tubing around them. That melted against the pipe so I wrapped the pipe and brake line with heat wrap tape and everything was fine.

The bracket for the left side pipe is a close fit with the spare tire. You may need to drop the spare tire and reposition it when you crank it back up so everything fits.

The end sections may wiggle around or shift when everything's done. MBRP recommended taking apart the exhaust clamps and removing the metal spacer so that the clamps could be closed tighter.

And one last tip...use oil to coat the studs that hold the rubber exhaust hangers. It will make removing the stock exhaust much much easier.

9. Jan 12, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    BajaNick

BajaNick Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Long Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4WD
    Sway-Away Shocks, TRD SuperCharger, MBRP Duel Exhaust, TRD Wheels and 33's
    I was able to get some time on the lift today so I took a couple pic's of my Duels Setup. You can see where the brake lines run that some folks have felt the need to protect with some kind of heat wrap, my rubber isn't scorched at all so I think it is unnecessary. You can also see with the longer stroke form the Sway-Aways the exhaust rubs against the rear leaf spring mount at full droop which concerned me initially but it clears fine at ride height and I didn't notice any marks when I had it up on the lift today so I don't think thats an issue either.

Exhaust near brake lines.jpg
    Full Rear Shot.jpg

10. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    bt08231

bt08231 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey SR5
    Stock
    mdbigred, i didnt realize your name until i recognized your green ridge pictures lol. Did you guys drive the firebreak/powerlines? I saw a guy do the steep side in an old cj, it looked so dangerous to say the least!

11. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    great exhaust, deep deep sound, sounds mean down low. get it

12. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    i would like to hear a sound clip

13. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
  14. May 31, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    a89aries

a89aries Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    London Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD offroad
    Ends up the MBRP factory is in Huntsville Ontario, just north of where I am.

They do a factory direct sale where they even install it for locals. I'm going to take advantage of it and get a set of XP duels installed next week. Will follow up with thoughts! :D

69TACO16 likes this.
  15. May 31, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    hmmm. I couldn't find any audio links on mbrp's site. Anyone got a clip on their 4.0L tacoma?

16. Jun 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    The only thing I want to hear is whether it gets really raspy like every other taco performance exhaust at higher rpms...

17. Jun 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    tacomtn

tacomtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    I'm bringing this thread back to life. I'm looking into the single or dual and want to know about the interior noise. I really dont want any drone it would just drive me crazy. Anyone share on this issue please. Thanks.

18. Nov 23, 2015 at 2:51 PM
    White-o

White-o Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma Double Cab TRD OffRoad 4x4 V6
    Toytec ULK w/ Bilstein 5100 and Light Racing UCA
    Reviving this thread! Its been 4 years, has anybody else gotten themselves an mbrp? I'm looking at the turn down xp series just because visually the pipe snaking over the axle bugs me, but I don't really know how much louder it will be then the standard side exit. Hit me with your opinions!

19. Nov 23, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    mcbagpiper

mcbagpiper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    14 DC/LB TRD Sport
    Tonneaupro hard tri-fold 3D Maxpider floor mats 10g steel skid plate N-Fab steps AVS bug guard & window visors 5100's @ 1.75" 1" steel rear blocks 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers Graphite metallic sport rims 20% front tint MBRP dual cat-back exhaust
    I had the double and got rid of it after 6 months because of the drone around 1,500rpm. Sounded great, but the drone was wearing on longer drives. Went back to the stock exhaust for almost a year then decided I would try the mbrp single. Sound is great, nice and low...but again the drone at 1,500rpm. Was about to pull it off this weekend but then while playing around with a few things I discovered the drone was from the final piece of the assembly (i.e. the side exit). So I tried ditching that last section, effectively dumping after the axle and the drone is gone! The bend must have caused a weird reverb at that 1,500rpm level.

Sounds nice and deep at idle and acceleration and is now fairly reserved at cruise.

20. Nov 23, 2015 at 4:59 PM
    White-o

White-o Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma Double Cab TRD OffRoad 4x4 V6
    Toytec ULK w/ Bilstein 5100 and Light Racing UCA

That's awesome! I was wanting the turn down exit version anyway. Thanks for the feedback

Products Discussed in

To Top