Mc1337sauce's Turbo 1997 4Runner Build

Discussion in '4Runner Builds' started by Mc1337sauce, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Dec 21, 2015 at 6:59 PM
    Mc1337sauce

Mc1337sauce [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    97 4Runner Turbo 3RZ-FE 2WD
    KO Racing Turbocharged @ 5psi, Garrett T3/T4 .63 Exhaust/.50 Compressor, TiAL Q BOV and MV-S Wastegate, Injen/AMSOIL Dry Filter, 2015 FJ Trail Wheels/Tires, OEM Hilux Surf Corners and Tails, JBA Catback Exhaust, 35% Tint Front/15% Rear, Clarion CX501 Headunit with 2 Kicker CompVR 12s
    You could always run a water to air intercooler as well. Not sure how your fab skills are, but if you can build charge piping, you can build a water to air setup as well. I personally run a water to air setup on my supercharged Xterra, and it is absolutely fantastic, and since the radiator for the setup is fairly thin, I think you should be able to easily mount it just in front of your AC condensor or behind your grill.

2. Dec 21, 2015 at 7:05 PM
    Gear Head

Gear Head Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
    I looked briefly at those. A guy on customtacos said he would not recommend one saying that the water will get hot and stay hot even with the heat exchanger

3. Dec 21, 2015 at 7:08 PM
    Mc1337sauce

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    KO Racing Turbocharged @ 5psi, Garrett T3/T4 .63 Exhaust/.50 Compressor, TiAL Q BOV and MV-S Wastegate, Injen/AMSOIL Dry Filter, 2015 FJ Trail Wheels/Tires, OEM Hilux Surf Corners and Tails, JBA Catback Exhaust, 35% Tint Front/15% Rear, Clarion CX501 Headunit with 2 Kicker CompVR 12s
    It's a better alternative to no intercooler, but he is correct, it is not ideal if a traditional air to air intercooler can be used as well. If you can't run a front mount somewhere because of how you've built your truck, I would suggest trying it out non-intercooled at first and make a decision regarding the intercooler later.

4. Dec 21, 2015 at 7:12 PM
    Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I ordered two 45* bends to make the "s" from the compressor to the throttle body. I suppose it wouldn't be too much trouble to add one later if I decide it will be necessary.

5. Dec 22, 2015 at 2:40 PM
    Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    Did you have a particular water/meth kit you were looking at? I didn't realize that most people were just injecting washer fluid. At what rate is it consumed? I haven't been able to find any info about frequency of filling or rate of consumption. Seems simple but I just don't want to have to constantly fill it up. If I can get a few trips from one fill up I think I could live with that.

6. Dec 29, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    Mc1337sauce

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didn't get an email when you replied to me thread this time, and I don't check TW a whole lot anymore. If you run a meth kit with a pressure switch or one that varies amount injected with boost pressure, you can get a good amount of use out of a tank. I didn't have a particular kit I was looking at since they're all pretty good, but when I was doing research on them I was primarily looking into Snow and Devil's Own, simply for the warranty in case of pump failure. I've heard the AEM kit used to be unreliable as far as the pump is concerned, but that may have been fixed with later iterations. Depending on how much and how hard you drive, I think you could get away with filling the tank up with every tank of gas. The only think I haven't figured out is how to mount the injector nozzle, since I'm fairly certain that my intake pipe is far too thin to drill and tap. I'm thinking a TB spacer or perhaps a bung welded onto the intake pipe may be the only options, as injection must occur a fair bit before the TB. If you have any ideas as far as that is concerned, I would love to hear about them. I've bought a slew of JDM parts for my truck over the past couple weeks so I have those to install before I can worry about methanol, but having a clear plan never hurts.

7. Dec 29, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    Damn Snow is $200 more than the AEM kit. Sucks to hear that about the pump though.. I wonder how well URD would stand behind it? I've heard they are great to work with. I can live with filling it up every tank; assuming you're talking about the 1 gallon water/meth tank and not the 5 gallon. 80% of the time my truck is off road and when crawling I wont always be in boost and if I understand right the controller only starts spraying at a preset boost level? As far as injector placement that'd be a bridge I'd have to cross when I get there

8. Dec 29, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    Mc1337sauce

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    URD is great to deal with, I've gotten several parts from them in the past (including the MAF extension cable needed to install the turbo kit). I don't recall the Snow kit being that much more expensive...I'll have to look into that. They used to offer several different kits at various price levels, but it sounds like they may not do that anymore. I've heard that the AEM kit is better in its current revision, but there aren't as many reports on this version like there were on the old crappy one, so I really can't say how reliable the kit is. You can definitely ask Gadget (owner of URD) about that...he will always give you an honest opinion. As long as you drive relatively conservatively, I can see a 1 gallon tank lasting through a tank of fuel. Depending on the type of controller, you either start spraying full blast at a set boost level (pressure switch) or can control it progressively starting at a set boost (or vacuum) level and going up from there.

9. Jan 5, 2016 at 4:37 PM
    Mc1337sauce

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Another few months of work crammed into one update. I really need to post on here more often.

JAOS skid plate installed. Looking swagtastic.

Picked up an awesome custom-fit sunshade on sale before Christmas to replace my decaying Wal-Mart special.

Bought some OEM Kouki corner lamps off of a Surf...

...to go with aftermarket Kouki headlamps (with internal aiming adjustments). Planning on doing a projector retrofit with these, but have a ton of other projects going on right now so that will be a while.

With the headlights and corners, also got some OEM Kouki tail lights off of a Surf as well...package deal FTW.

Also picked up an OEM Hilux Surf rear wing, which I have not received yet. Needs to be painted to match my truck and I need to make some brackets and covers to mount it, but should be awesome once installed. Stay tuned for more!

wagerhope likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top