1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

McKee 37 Coating

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Benzdriver81, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Oct 20, 2016 at 7:29 PM
    Benzdriver81

Benzdriver81 [OP] Making it fool-proof will just make a better fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB Sport
  2. Oct 21, 2016 at 7:03 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
  3. Oct 21, 2016 at 7:25 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Check out the forum at Autogeek. You will find more users there. Coatings are the way to go. I have coated 5 vehicles within last 12 months. Have no plans to ever go back to a sealant. Coatings are more durable, more sheet water better, and help reduce swirls due to dirt, etc not sticking as easy.

4. Oct 21, 2016 at 8:09 AM
    Benzdriver81

Benzdriver81 [OP] Making it fool-proof will just make a better fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB Sport
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. I've made the progression from wax to hybrid waxes to sealants. Now I'm looking for that next step in quality and durability.

Can you put carnauba wax over a coating, like you would with a sealant? Or is that just defeating the purpose of the coating?

5. Oct 21, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I have put wax over Optimum GlossCoat. There has been some discussion about whether it defeats the purpose or not. Really depends on the coating brand on whether you can wax over or not.

6. Oct 21, 2016 at 9:27 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Lots of happy McKee's paint coating users over on AG. It sounds like a pretty great product. I've read a lot about it over on their forum. Regarding topping a coating with another product, keep in mind that the water/dirt shedding and self-cleaning characteristics that you see will be a result of whatever the last product you applied was.

Coatings were developed, in part, for their water shedding and self-cleaning capabilities. So, an argument I've often heard made against topping coatings is "why would you want the characteristics of an inferior product to present rather than the superior characteristics of the coating itself"? You essentially go through all the coating prep-work and application and don't reap the benefits.

Others might suggest a "topper" may provide an additional layer of protection (lets not debate that in this thread). And then there are those that just can't stand to NOT apply SOMETHING to their paint every other week or every two months (like me-- it's a hobby I enjoy). But if that's the case, why not just stick with a sealant? No fear, many companies also provide "booster" products for their coatings-- essentially a spray wax type product that helps extend the life of the coatings.

If you really want to top a coating, as Ace said-- read the product descriptions and find one where they specifically state that it's OK. Gloss-coat is one of them.

In short, If you're someone that doesn't particularly enjoy detailing and just wants to put something on for great protection and then not worry about it for a couple years, coatings fit the bill nicely (assuming you're willing to do the prep work). If you like to frequently apply a fresh coat of wax or sealant, you may not really get your "money's worth" out of a coating. And if you're a detailing nut-- you might want to use a coating AND a topper.

In the end... take your pick :) You probably know most of this stuff already, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

7. Oct 23, 2016 at 4:48 PM
    58LesPaul

58LesPaul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2" Lift

Products Discussed in

To Top