1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Measuring for a camper shell?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HammerHead, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Oct 21, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    HammerHead

HammerHead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD OffRoad PreRunner SR5 DC
    How do you measure the bed if you want a camper shell? I searched for an existing thread on this and could not find one, which may mean I'm the only knucklehead who doesn't know how. Anyways, do you measure from the outside of the top rails of the bed, or do you measure from the inside of the bed?

2. Oct 21, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    You really don't measure at all the cap manufacturers only need to know what type of truck you have "2004 Taco Double cab" they then use the appropriate mold. If you are looking for the correct/custom or even a good fit only a cap made for a 01-04 taco double cab will do.

3. Oct 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    HammerHead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    This for the ARE or Leer camper shells? I thought you had to measure for them? Not the truck bed caps if thats what you meant.

I'm trying to find a cheap, used camper shell for my 2004 Tacoma, and everything on Craigslist has different dimensions, and soem of the folks are measuring inside the bed, and some are including the few inches of the bed rails as well.

4. Oct 21, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    HammerHead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I may have found the answer, but if anyone knows this to be correct or incorrect, it would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

5. Oct 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    It's best to measure the whole box rather than just the inner dimensions, the front lip of the shell needs to be flush with the front of the box(can be a bit shorter), the shell door needs to close down over the edge of the tailgate and the outer edges along the side need to be at least as wide as the outer edge of the box(half an inch over the edge won't hurt either but looks funny if it isn't wide enough). I used a shell off an S10 for my 98 extended cab and it was about an inch too short but I modded the door and it doesn't quite meet the front edge of the box but it was very cheap.

6. Apr 13, 2017 at 2:00 PM
    Talentmann

Talentmann Member

Member:
    Interior Alaska to Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco
    It is now 2017, April, and I am having the same problem as "HammerHead" had in 2011 and have not found a satisfactory answer.

I, too, am trying to find a used (cheap) camper shell on Craigslist, but don't know how to spec for the dimensions I want, i.e., what does one measure on the truck (inside? outside of bed?) and what does one ask the seller to measure (inside? outside of camper shell?). I have a 2012 Tacoma access cab. With the tailgate closed, the outside dimensions measure (approximately) 65" X 78" and the inside dimensions measure (approximately) 56.5" X 73.5".

Any suggestions, recommendations, guidance here?

coastalyeti likes this.
  7. Apr 14, 2017 at 1:30 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    for one, post a new thread instead of opening a 5yr old one ;)

second, post in the second Gen section :)

third, same as above, find one made for your truck. the 2nd Gen has different mounting system and will be made specifically for it. if the seller has no idea, you might want to steer clear of it.

Products Discussed in

To Top