1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Melting side rear view mirrors?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MARKDESMO, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Mar 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    x2

2. Mar 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    4lo

4lo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    El Campo, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    some stuff
    It's absolutely the windows. What is your elevation? They build these insulated glass units at altitude...and ship them to sea level with no capillary tubes. This causes the window panes to bow into each other. That mixed with aftermarket "low E" film that all these companies push, traps heat between the surface 2 factory Lowe E coating and the surface 4 aftermarket coating. This heat then gets concentrated not only due to the trapped solar heat but also the glass warpage...very much like an overheated magnifying glass. I've seen all kinds of burn results from this application. Plenty hot enough to melt the black ABS. Or could be aliens. :rolleyes:

3. Mar 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
  4. Mar 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    +1

Nice that's the first time someone has put it in words that makes 100% sense. Each pane is a parabolic mirror. Anyone have a magnifying glass as a kid?

But I am really voting for the aliens. There is a few people I want to see get probed.:D

5. Mar 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/269393-plastic-melting-tacoma-no-reason.html

As I posted on the other thread.. worst thing possible is if you guys don't all document this, share pics and report it together. Otherwise the next guy who has this problem goes in to the dealer, says it's a truck problem and they go, "haven't heard of any problems..."

Hilarious.. every time someone has this problem (3-4 people now?!?) everyone jumps in and goes, "Damn! that guy with a blowtorch is back.. don't believe me? You just don't know what people are capable of!" lol

blowtorch bandit strikes again.. hahahaha

in all seriousness, you guys need to PM each other and report your issues to Toyota. Regardless of energy efficient windows and malicious youths with propane.. something is clearly wrong with their injection molding process at a supplier level and they need to be made aware of it for their own good, for your own good, and for all other people who have trucks from that part supplier.

6. Apr 18, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    Shmyak

Shmyak New Member

Member:
    I leave in New Jersey and it has nothing to do with Toyota Tacoma. I was really amazed by observing this and can tell you this one of the weirdest thinks i have seen in my life. I was walking around a building in a particular development in my town and took pictures

20210418_181756[1].jpg
    20210418_184255[1].jpg
    20210418_181817[1].jpg
    20210418_183422[1].jpg

Torspd and deanosaurus like this.
  7. Apr 19, 2021 at 6:16 PM
    RancidTaco

RancidTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes it happens to my brother in laws cars,several of them.The sun reflects off his living room window and melts in a line even on the door jambs. This even happen in October and he lives in a Staten Island N.Y. I would not believe it if I didn't see it for myself.

Turdyota3000 likes this.
  8. Apr 20, 2021 at 6:17 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I do property inspections. and see the reflective damage done to vinyl siding on homes. It is typically on one side, or near the 'inside corners' where outside walls meet. Some look like someone used a grill too close to the home, and in to the wind, and others, they most likely did.....

9. Apr 20, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    DiscoYaker

DiscoYaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE USA and Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4WD SR5 AC MT, 1995 Tacoma 2wd ext. cab auto
    Stock for now.. maybe
    Wow, all in the same block/location? That's crazy.
    Nice 1st post!

10. Apr 20, 2021 at 6:34 AM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    There is now..

Torspd likes this.
  11. Apr 20, 2021 at 10:14 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    You can see the direct path of the magnified light, across those cars.

Products Discussed in

To Top