1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Members who have a hard folding bed cover?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kjsayers, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Jan 3, 2008 at 9:09 AM
    Kjsayers

Kjsayers [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma D-Cab LB 4x4 Black
    I have been debating whether to get a shell or a hard folding cover for my DCab LB. Price is a deciding factor. I want a shell just don't want to pay 2K. The main reason for the hard folding vs. a soft roll up is I want to be able to mount bikes on to it. So the question is for those of you who have a hard folding cover do you or have you seen one that has bikes mounted to it? Can it be done and not damage the cover (can the cover handle the weight)? If anyone has pic please post them.

2. Jan 3, 2008 at 9:19 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have not seen one that has a bike on top of it, but mine (Bakflip G2) would definitely support them. It supports up to 200 lbs when spread across the cover. If you look near the end of this install video, you can see the installer standing on the folded cover and using it as a bench.

If you mounted a rack on it, it would probably interfere with the folding. Mine has a small section (about 4"-6") that does not fold, but something mounted to that section might prevent the cover from leaning up against the cab.

What about a hitch-mount carrier?

3. Jan 3, 2008 at 9:44 AM
    Kjsayers

Kjsayers [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma D-Cab LB 4x4 Black
    I would fashion a rail with 2 quick release fork mounts to it. So it would be basically a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick aluminum the width of the bed, 3-4 inches wide and mount the releases to that.

4. Jan 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I had the first generation of the BakFlip. I loved how it worked, but hated the construction since it fell apart. With that said, they designed the newest version (Gen 2) to combat ALL the issues I had from what I can see of it. Hell, I emailed them to congratulate them on the redesign and it solved all the problems I had. The owner replied back to me saying he would forward the email to the office since he was away. A day or so later I got an email from a woman at the office wanting information from me to send out a replacement! :eek:

Now, I already have another cover (Bestop Supertopper) so I don't need another BakFlip, but I think that says something about their customer service!

As for my new cover, it's a soft, folding canopy. I can take out the windows, and fold it up against the back window.

www.bestop.com

Video of it in operation:
    http://www.bestop.com/jeep-accessories/tacoma_accessories_vid_sft.html

Pics of it on mine:
    th_DSCF1168_532791dba3b53ddc257376ded2080ab395f27e9e.jpgth_DSCF1170_80967f0e28bd921511ae4cde452f47c97c17c5cb.jpgth_DSCF1171_9097fe51cd6a5054dad787405c355e9b6045efd9.jpg

Added some lights to see in it at night:
    th_DSCF1259_55d67aa8eca30ff22c0e10ad327bdc8366b0c5ef.jpg

5. Jan 3, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Oh, and the Bestop and BakFlip both cost me about the same. Between $550 and $600. So both are WELL under the $2k you mentioned for a conventional topper, and below the "normal" $1-$1.5k for a fiberglass hard cover or rolling hard cover.

There's also the Fold-a-cover. Forget the price, but it was one I was comparing to the BakFlip before I bought that.

www.foldacover.com

Oh, and the Fold-a-Cover supposedly locks the tailgate too.

6. Jan 3, 2008 at 5:46 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
  7. Jan 3, 2008 at 10:55 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Are you going to get it? If you sold it, it would recoup the some of the original cost to you.

8. Jan 4, 2008 at 4:34 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Peirced, I was looking into the Bestopper and it looked cool to me. The only thing I wonder is can it fold flat or only forward? Sometimes I want something that covers the bed but doesn't stand up like the topper. Also sometimes I don't want the bed open.

In other words aside from those two positions, does it go into a closed traditional tonneau position?

Thanks bro!

9. Jan 4, 2008 at 6:15 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I don't know... I didn't tell the lady I didn't need one, and I did give her my address and phone number like she requested so we'll see I guess! :D If I get it, you may see it posted for sale on here! :laugh:

No, it doesn't fold like a regular tonneau cover. I've never seen a canopy that does. Also never seen a tonneau cover become a canopy! :laugh: I think there's just too much material involved to cover the sides and back to make that work.

With that said, I've never had to fold mine down yet. All of my tools and such fit in there. We have our own riding mower so I'm no longer putting my FIL's in there each weekend, and we have all of our big appliances for the house now. Although, I still fit a full sized dryer under the canopy.

With my BakFlip (or any between-the-rails type I suppose), I had to lay my 15gal air compressor on it's side or leave a panel open. Even then the cover didn't close all the way so I had to take a wheel off. Now I just roll it upright into the bed and toss the rest of my tools in with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top