1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mesh Network and Comcast Arris Surfboard modem/router

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 916carl, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Mar 9, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    916carl

916carl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB TRD Sport SR5
    I’m looking at getting a mesh network and can’t seem to find an answer to what I thought was a simple question. I have Comcast and use their Arris Surfboard router/modem combo. Do I need to replace it with just a modem, or can the mesh devices plug into, and work with, the combo system? I don’t know if the mesh system can co-exist with the Wi-Fi router part of the Surfboard.

Also, I know it would be cheaper in the long run to buy my own router and modem vs renting, however I would rather not deal with that now if I don’t have to.

2. Mar 10, 2021 at 7:25 AM
    CJREX

CJREX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    I have an Arris modem and I am using a TP-Link mesh network.

The "master" mesh hub plugs directly into your modem RJ-45 port and the other discs all connect wirelessly.

Uses an app on your phone for configuration.

Works great.

The mesh network basically functions as an access point to your network.

916carl[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 10, 2021 at 5:55 PM
    916carl

916carl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB TRD Sport SR5
    I made the decision to replace the Comcast router/modem combo and get my own modem, and get the TP link mesh system. We'll see how it goes.

My current setup is Comcast router/modem combo in the living room... phone base station plugged into that, 8 port switch plugged into the other port. Cat 5 going from that switch to another 8 port switch in my office. Both switches have multiple devices plugged in. In addition, tablets, phones and a laptop work off the wifi. The wifi in our offices is poor, hence the move to the mesh.

So new modem, and the router will be one of the TP Link stations. The other will go in my office, connected to the switch and configured as an Access Point, connected via the ethernet to provide a backhaul to the router.

I'll install this weekend. It will involve calling Comcast customer service to activate the new modem. Pray for me.

D0183A90-A141-47AA-9931-B8C427CE7DF7.jpg

CJREX[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top