1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Metal Detecting discussions and finds

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by WileECoyote, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Aug 8, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    WileECoyote

WileECoyote [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yaesu FT-1900R w/ 2m/70cm Comet SBB-224 antenna, Cobra 19 DX IV w/ 4ft Francis CB24 Hot Rod antenna, Uniden Bearcat BC355N 800Mhz mobile scanner (analog), an external BNC mount routed to inside the cab for a handheld fire/police scanner or HAM HT's, Rancho RS5000 front struts and rear shocks, 6in KC Daylighter (pencil beam), 15x7 Black Rock Wheels Series 942, 31x10.50R15 Firestone Destination AT, fog lights, COBRA antenna hood mount (this is used to mount the GoPro on to)
    HAHAHAHAHA, I don't see this thread getting too many "views"!!! But, thought I would make one anyways just in case there are some out there that metal detect like I have been doing for some years now!!! :thumbsup: It's an expensive hobby at first, but it will eventually pay for itself if you know how to go about getting back "money spent"?! A very relaxing hobby and harder than you think when it comes to "walking". :bananadead:

Post some of your finds!!! Would be pretty cool to see some of your guys finds!!! :thumbsup:

Anyways, this is some of my gear that I use: (these are stock pictures... but what I have)
    Lesche Digger
    Finds pouch (made by Dead On Tools)
    Garrett Pro Pointer (NEVER had a problem with mine)
    Garrett ACE 250 (I have a few other MD'rs also)
    Firm Grip General Purpose Gloves (from Home Depot... or you would want something similar for sure)
    white towel/rag (used to put loose dirt on if needed and then dumped back in the hole)
    Lesche_digger.jpg

DeadOn_tool_pouch.jpg

Garrett_ProPointer.jpg

Garrett_ACE250.jpg

FirmGrip_gloves.jpg

white_cleaning_cloth.jpg

Here are SOME pictures of my actual gear... I dry sand hunt more now as it produces more coin and quicker!!! :thumbsup:
    DSCF0078.jpg

NOTE: the pouch is slightly modified to hold the Lesche digger
    DSCF0267.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. Aug 10, 2018 at 3:13 AM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yaesu FT-1900R w/ 2m/70cm Comet SBB-224 antenna, Cobra 19 DX IV w/ 4ft Francis CB24 Hot Rod antenna, Uniden Bearcat BC355N 800Mhz mobile scanner (analog), an external BNC mount routed to inside the cab for a handheld fire/police scanner or HAM HT's, Rancho RS5000 front struts and rear shocks, 6in KC Daylighter (pencil beam), 15x7 Black Rock Wheels Series 942, 31x10.50R15 Firestone Destination AT, fog lights, COBRA antenna hood mount (this is used to mount the GoPro on to)
    Just thought I would post some of my finds. I have more pictures of things that I have found, but can't seem to find them??? Likely on my old laptop, but anyways...

This was my very first silver that I found and the first time my mom was with me "on a hunt". Long story short, the day I found this, I was at an actual church BBQ with my mom, talk about "coincidence"???!!! LOL!!! It was roughly 4in down, if I remember correctly? Silver comes up as a very STRONG "dime" signal. Sure enough, the MD'r was a SUPER SOLID dime signal.
    StChristopherSilverCharm_June_24_2012_front.jpg

StChristopherSilverCharm_June_24_2012_back.jpg

I found this FUGLY 0.925 (a.k.a. 925 silver) about 2x days later at a high school in/near Cerritos, CA. The more and more I think about it, it looks like it would be some kind of toe ring??? In either case, the long/short story behind this particular find is that my co-worker asked if I wanted to come hang out at a high school with him and his buddy while they exercised on the field and track. I never hunted a high school before and brought my gear with me. His buddy is an a$$hat, which I already knew and as we were getting ready to leave the vehicles to go to the track/field, he was saying, "do you really think you're going to find anything..." blah blah blah blah blah and I just ignored his dumba$$. So anyways, we're walking along the fence-line on the sidewalk getting ready to enter "school grounds" and I'm scanning the areas of where I'm gonna swing the coil. I'm telling "MY" buddy, "I think I'll start right around the edge of that soccer field...". Finally, they go do their thing and I'm swinging my coil hitting coin targets and about/roughly 20min in, they just come back from their run around the track and I'm hitting a SOLID "dime signal"???!!! His friend continues to taunt me by being "mr negative" and such and I just ignore him. I go to dig my plug and YELL OUT, I found a silver. Both of them didn't believe me at first and I show them, look at the stamping???!!! ".925" and his buddy is like, "no way...?" He really is an a$$hat and my friend knows I don't care for the guy very much. He's the type that thinks his shi* doesn't stink!!! Anyways... that's the story behind this particular find...
    SilverRing_1.jpg

SilverRing_2.jpg

98cents_1867to1967_CanadianCoin_SilverRing.jpg

This "buried treasure" was interesting. I found this at what us MD'rs call "tot-lots". There was a small pencil and a piece of paper, but I don't remember anything written on the piece of paper??? Anyways, it had some quarters in it (a.k.a. "laundry money") as well as some pennies and such.
    car_baggy.jpg

These are just some of the finds that I've found/done.

I hope you guys/gals enjoy the pics and what is so interesting to me is that we typically don't think about what is buried below us as we just go about our business and such. Just something that is interesting to me in finding out what hidden treasures are below my feet???

HH \_ and Wheeling people!!!

3. Aug 10, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    My buddy and I scratch around for gold and sometimes coins. Not really dialed on the coinshooter, though...

I have a Fisher, Garrett, and a couple of MineLabs. It's a fun hobby that gets me into the out-of-doors. I couldn't find some of my older pictures, but this is what I came up with for photos:

My buddy found these in a dry canyon:
    Jasongold.jpg

This is my largest nugget to date: (almost a 1/2 oz.)
    1:2 oz nuggy.jpg

4. Aug 10, 2018 at 7:52 PM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    VERY SWEEEEEEET!!! :eek::goingcrazy::thumbsup::fistbump::bowdown:

I have a Garrett Infinium LS and the Garrett GTI2500. I've been trying to get into water hunting, hence, the LS because it's a PI. But I also wanted a bit more powerful machine regarding VHF's, hence the GTI. My next purchase that I would like to do though is also get a Tesoro Cortes and maybe another PI machine the Tesoro Sand Shark. I've been wanting other machines for either different "experiences" or whatever (I don't know how to better describe that... other than just like how you have a Fisher and Minelab so I'm pretty sure you know what I'm trying to say and get at).

Anyways, the hobby is most definitely fun and relaxing and sometimes VERY REWARDING as you have shown!!!

I came across a junk jewelry gold ring at the beach. It rang-up as a SOLID Nickel "tone", which is typically a strong indicator and when I finally scooped it, I could see "GOLD coloring" and my heart just about JUMPED outta my chest. Upon quick inspection, it started to become more and more painfully obvious it was junk gold jewelry. When I got home, I gave it a very thorough look at and definitely determined it to be junk. BUT HEY, my first "GOLD", HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::D:p That was with my ACE250, the one I happen to use the most and just LOVE that machine!!! :thumbsup:

With the LS, I was practicing, more or less, how to use a PI machine and hit, what sounded as if it was a "GOLD sweeping tone/tones", but the surf/water kept coming in too fast for me to recover it and eventually lost the signal!!! :annoyed:Water/surf hunting is, most definitely, a very skilled art and takes MUCH PRACTICE. What also didn't help that day though was that I was using my "stock" coil and that MrFr is F'N HEAVY!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA :goingcrazy::annoyed::laughing::laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl: So, meaning, I was not only fighting the waves/surf, but trying to hold/sweep that HEAVY A$$ COIL!!! o_O:annoyed: I mean it floats, if you will, but the current was just sloshing it around under water like some FAT CHICK on a water bed!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl::rofl::rofl::D:p I love me some fat chicks too, but just describing the experience!!! :D:p:rofl::rofl::rofl::spy:

Anyways, very nice find man. :bowdown:

Btw, I also got the LS because of that same reason for land hunting for GOLD in the canyon areas. Someone once told me a while back to check out "Lytle Creek" area??? I've been wanting to do what you do as well, just don't know where to go and definitely don't feel too comfortable going by myself due to either other humans or wild animals. Don't want to make myself an easy target for anything that is out there, if you know what I mean. But yeah, "canyon hunting" is something else I would like to do as well. I've been watching You Tube vids as well just to get an idea on how to approach it, but still have yet to go do it... again, I don't know anyone else that MD's. I'm on FMD forum as well and have hunted with some people, but it is never a constant "meet-up"??? HAHAHAHAHA

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. Aug 10, 2018 at 8:52 PM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Oh, before I forget, I've been doing my best to try to find my first "wheatie", '64 and older silvers, bufs, etc etc etc. I came up with a theory that the reason they're more often found in the Midwest regions and east coast is simply the fact that those states are older states. Now I'm mainly talking about walking liberties and the like. As you move out closer to the west, you're not going to find as much "older relics", if you will, simply because the states out west are "newer". I mean, the newer the states, the less likely you're going to find dated/vintage items regarding certain things?! Or put simply another way, you're not going to find a 2018 quarter on some island that has never been populated before... unless the ocean dragged it in or it fell outta the sky. LOL!!! Same/similar concept, the newer the area, the less likely of finding older items relative to that particular time period if it hasn't been populated as heavy or if at all!!!

Anyways, I've been using a website: https://www.historicaerials.com/ to find "old" parks and such to better my chances of finding wheats and silvers.

6. Aug 10, 2018 at 9:09 PM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
  7. Aug 10, 2018 at 9:25 PM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    That's a very NICE rig he has, a CTX I believe, and very SWEET FIND!!! :eek::goingcrazy::thumbsup:

HAHAHAHA, speaking about Minelab earlier, I've been thinking about the Minelab Safari or E-trac as well. :crapstorm: Like I said, EXTREMELY expensive hobby to start out with, but I LOVE my machines that I have already. Still would be nice to get other machines though just to have as part of your "arsenal" of things to go to and use.

Btw, at 1:49, as soon as his Lesche hit the can, I IMMEDIATELY KNEW what it was, HAHAHAHAHAHA :D:p:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbsup: Just that tell-tale sign of that sound/scraping!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: I was saying to myself, "hahahaha, watch, it's gonna be a can...?!" :rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbsup:

8. Aug 10, 2018 at 9:36 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
  9. Aug 10, 2018 at 10:00 PM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR DCSB 6MT 4x4...'97 Taco XtraCab 5MT 4x4
    DIY Fabricobbler.
    Sub'd

You have my attention.

I've been detecting the PNW Oregon since 1998 when I got my first detector, a Whites Classic IDX. While the IDX is a great machine in iron infested soil, with quick recovery between targets, I found that it is better suited for tot lots, and near surface finds. With the concentric coil, the deepest I can detect any good targets in our soil is about 4". And that is going super slow, and overlapping the living hell out of an area.

Then I moved up to the Whites XLT. This was fun to use and I found my very first silver coin with it. Turns out, it is also my oldest coin to date. 1859 Brittish 3 Pence.
    It too was difficult to detect anything past 4".

I decided to step up and get the CTX shortly after it came out, and this has been my go to machine. Regularly find coins at 6-7" and occasionally 8-9".
    I designed a carry bag on paper and had a guy on the east coast whip it together for me. It holds all 3 coils, two sets of headphones, several digging tools including the Lesche digger and Lesche shovel, as well as my finds bag.

Handkerchiefs work great for piling dirt onto and easily put it all back in the hole.

Here are just some of my finds. I keep ALL of my silver and older coins.
    This is just a snippet of all of my coins and finds. I don't take pictures of everything I find, nor do I bother with videos.
    This is a hobby that share with a commuting buddy so we tend to keep it simple and not go crazy with social media.

3-9-14 s.jpg

11-14-14.jpg

1874 Indian front1.jpg

1875 Seated Front close.jpg

1891 Seated front 1.jpg

Amity token Back s.jpg

35 Merc_SLQ s.jpg

Silver ring s.jpg

1946 Rosie Front-Back.jpg

10. Aug 10, 2018 at 10:01 PM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    RONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!! WTHOLYF DUDE???!!! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN???!!! :wave:

I'm moving back to HB by end of this month!!! :woot: Next time I see you, I'll tell you what went on and happened. o_O:mad::rolleyes: It's pretty sad, but people are telling me to get out ASAP of where I'm living at right now because it's none of my business and/or problem to be dealing with. It's just so sad what I'm seeing here brotha!!!

Anyways... :drunk:

ODNAREM[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 10, 2018 at 10:08 PM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    :eek::goingcrazy: VERY NICE!!! I like the IH as well!!! :bowdown:

I have YET to do a video, HAHAHAHAHA. Kinda the same thought process as you. I like taking pictures to document, but don't necessarily post everything. And, I keep all of my good finds as well. If I was to find those coins, yeah, they'd go in my books that I've started... well, CRH for wheats and CRH for the States quarters collection/series.

Again, very nice finds and happy to see on TW that there are some that MD as well or at least taking the time to view the thread. :thumbsup::fistbump:

Btw, that 1946 silver looks PRISTINE!!! :eek::goingcrazy::thumbsup::fistbump:

12. Aug 10, 2018 at 10:28 PM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Btw, are any of those wheats in the early 1900 (i.e. 1909, 1914, etc etc etc)? Be pretty SWEET to have a 1909 VDB!!! :thumbsup: THAT would be worth some $$$ RIGHT there, but I doubt I would cash it in myself, HIGHLY DOUBT I would do that...

wilcam47 likes this.
  13. Aug 10, 2018 at 11:23 PM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    DIY Fabricobbler.
    Wheat pennies for the most part are not worth much especially considering what our soil does to them. However, if I am finding wheat pennies, I have a 1 in 10 chance of finding some silver. Wheats were only minted to 1958, where 90% silver went to 1964, and 40% silver halves went from 1965 to 1970.

I do have a ton of wheat pennies, mostly from the 40's, but I think my oldest wheat is 1910. I have several 1917, 1919 and many from the 20's. I used to get excited when I found one wheat in a day, then two, then three, four etc.. Then I started hitting a single curb strip on Sunday mornings that was about 5 feet wide and 100 feet long. One day I did the one wheat, then next trip four wheats, then six. Then one day thirteen in one hole, and another thirteen in a 5'x 10' area right behind the first 13, all on the same day. That same curb strip has netted me over 100 wheat pennies and 10 silver coins, a 1925 Deutsches Five Pfennig, a few old crusted pocket knives, at least a pound of nails/screws, and a coffee can full of pull tabs.

On a side note, metal detecting has been a really interesting way to discover the history of an area that you search in. I have my town researched all the way down to the first white folk to show up in 1838 and his house is still in the same spot. Still trying to get permission to hunt that property. Its like the 2nd or 3rd oldest house in Oregon, let alone in the original location when built.

If you are just getting into detecting, and have an old park in your area stick to it! Hit it often and different times of the year.
    I've been hitting the same local park over and over ever since I started detecting in 1998. Attempting to clean it out, which is impossible to do, as frost, worms and other things move targets around so new ones pop up. We can hit it for 2 hours straight and find a nail, a pull tab, crusty zincoln on the surface, and nothing else. Then out of the blue on a random day, several wheats, a buffalo, an indian head, a silver Rosie, Merc, Barber or Seated dime will popup (obviously not all the same day).

My most recent hunts in that park (back in early spring), I found a 1911 Barber dime, two Model T spark plugs, one Model T hub cap, and a police issue pistol shell all within a 10 foot area. The Barber was only 2" down, the rest were 6-8". That was a good day in that park. Mind you this park has been hunted since Compass Detectors went into business back in the 1960's right here in town. Go figure?

It's certainly a relaxing, yet semi athletic hobby with all the walking, kneeling etc...

WileECoyote[OP] likes this.
  14. Aug 10, 2018 at 11:54 PM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    I've been MD'ing for roughly 9yrs now, but the parks in my city are just not giving me anything worth being "old". I do hit one spot/area quite a bit and have overlapped it many times over. HAHAHAHA, there was one particular day that I found a 1965 quarter and just THREW it because I was finding '65s til the end of time at that park???!!!

LOL, I still hunt there time to time in hoping that I'll find a '64 assuming the '65s are a hint?! :D:p

Anyways, I was just super happy I could finally chalk one up for finding a silver... two silvers... :thumbsup: Now I just want to be able to say that I found GOLD (ring, whatever). As for the wheats, IH, silvers, etc, there is one particular park that I just recently discovered due to driving around town (i.e. a different town/area mind you) and Santa Ana is a pretty old area. I'll be doing some research on the park and seeing if I can get an idea of when it was built. Plus, the park will not be all that far from me either, which is a plus when it comes to fuel.

15. Aug 11, 2018 at 5:04 AM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    You know, honestly, after "discussing" this with you... you gave me some new ideas on how to actually go about searching for "older sites" in city areas. It never occurred to me, all this time, on how to approach it. :thumbsup:

Finally, I know it's a personal choice, but people, here at least, tend to be much, much more protective when it comes to asking/doing anything out of the ordinary to their property (i.e. anything to their property and I'm not just talking about a yard). So, I don't bother going door to door just to MD. Maybe some day, but cold knocking on someone's door these days asking for permission is a definite no no and will likely be having the cops starting to "survey me for suspicious activity", which "I" for one am not willing to risk of possibly painting a target on my back. But again, I know and realize that that is a personal choice. NOW, if someone was to ask "me", which has sort of happened... kind of... then that is a different situation there and of course I would accept in helping and/or assisting in the search.

Annnnnnnyways...

HH to you!!! :thumbsup::fistbump:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  16. Aug 11, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    DIY Fabricobbler.
    In all the years of detecting, I have only detected a homeowners property maybe 3 times. One was a friend of mine that owns an old 1930's school house that he did a killer job converting into an actual house that he lives in. I brought him a detector to use as well. Then my wife's grandpa's property. And finally some guy that lives across the street from my main park. He saw my car pool/detecting buddy and I getting geared up for another morning hunt there and came over and chatted with us. Turns out he works for Intel as well, but at a different campus than we do. Gave us permission on the spot to check his house. Turned out that even though the house is early 1900's, the landscape was replaced or covered up with new soil in the last 15-20 years and we only found zinc pennies. Some of these were deep!

Don't hesitate to hit curb strips in front of old buildings on weekends when they are closed. Not because it's illegal, just so you are not disrupting their business. That stretch of grass between the curb and the sidewalk are all public property and as long as their is no written city rules, bans, or ordinances are open game and very often fruitful. It's generally tacky to detect and dig a curb strip in front of someones house that is lived in (although legal), it sends bad vibes between home owners and the detectorist community (expect an ear whipping). So, look for houses that are for sale and unoccupied, foreclosed properties, vacant lots, etc...
    Use a small coil like a 6" for curb strips and take your time. There could be a lot of junk near the surface that you need to work through to get to the goodies below. Be sure to remove the junk, do a nice clean job on ALL of your plugs, and use your pin pointer religiously to keep holes under control. You want to go back to curb strips that give up wheaties, as they WILL eventually give up silver. It's a 10 to 1 ratio for the most part.

Street and sidewalk tear outs are also good for getting below that surface that is usually covered in concrete or asphalt. City employees working these areas are usually pretty cool with me and let me take a quick swing in the area if they are not actively moving soil, repairing something or pouring new coverings.

One more thing I always do and suggest others do. Keep a gallon ice cream bucket or gallon protein shake container in the bed of the truck to toss all the junk you find. It will add up quickly as you know. This comes in very handy if and when you ever come in conversation with a "Negative Nancy" that seems to think they are in charge of the public area you are hunting. Show them all the dangerous crap you are removing from that area especially where children play. I've used it a few times to educate the police that were called on me via said "Negative Nancy". It's all part of the hobby.

TXpro4X4 and WileECoyote[OP] like this.
  17. Aug 11, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yeah, I've done just about everything that you have described except the gallon container, curb strips of vacant lots/etc, and business curb strips (hahahaha, never thought about those :notsure:). But yeah, most definitely "tacky" to hunt a curb strip that is in front of someone's home/property. I take ALL trash with me... you should have seen ALL of the KRAP one time on a SINGLE dry sand beach hunt???!!! :eek::goingcrazy::facepalm: I had so many tent stakes, cans and even a broken bottle, and even found a damn railroad spike???!!! o_O My plugs are cut very clean and something I made sure to practice on when I first started.

Well, more things to take into consideration. I generally stay away from "crowds" as much as possible. When at the beach it is either early in the morning or a couple hours before sundown. Parks, same/similar situation as the beach when I hunt.

One last thing, I will try curb tear outs as I see them... try to at least. I see them ever so rarely here that I'll probably get hit by the next meteor before seeing one.

Finally, I have my sniper coil and carry it whenever I go on a hunt. Just amazing how well it works in trashy areas!!! :thumbsup:

I'm in the middle of moving right now, but will hopefully post some pictures of any good finds here soon. The park I was talking about earlier was pretty damn big and in an older area for sure, but I just don't know how old as of yet? I just literally saw/drove by it yesterday and my machine is currently in storage while I move.

Thanks for some of those tips man... for sure!!! :thumbsup::fistbump:

HH to you

18. Aug 11, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    I asked a person metal detecting on the beach "what was the strangest thing he has ever found". This was his response:
    A key which was attached
    to a folded "Dear John" letter. It had been
    recently lost at the time I found it in the beach sand at
    Hampton. Of course, the guy never got it. It was only
    addressed in his first name....

This was my response back to him: I sometimes go on YouTube and watch people find amazing things and hope to one day try it myself, how cool would it be to be retired and do this full time?

WileECoyote[OP] likes this.
  19. Aug 11, 2018 at 5:07 PM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    DIY Fabricobbler.

The smaller 6" Double D coils can usually penetrate just as deep as their larger 10-12" Double D coils due to the fact that they take a smaller "bite" of earth per swing. With the bigger coils, one would think they go much deeper than smaller coils. In normal dirt soil they don't, in sand they can. It all depends on the mineral content of the soil.
    Imagine minerals in soil are like fog in the air. The more the minerals below the coil the less depth it can "see" through it, thus reducing it's overall depth. Similar to how fog reacts to headlights. Having lots of watts of light means diddly when you aim them straight into the fog. You'll get bounce back...aka noise that requires the user to turn down the sensitivity to keep the chatter in check.

Here's another trick for parks with small children. Don't bother shopping there, unless you can keep the parents between you and the kids. If this fails and for some reason you are surrounded by a gaggle of kids really interested in what you are doing, fake signal to a target and take some time to look like you have pinpointed it really good. Then tell them you will let them dig it. Once they are busy digging around in the grass/dirt by hand, it's your chance to re-position yourself or leave altogether.

20. Aug 11, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    DIY Fabricobbler.
    Great retirement plan. It'll keep you off the couch and out meeting new people, researching and seeing new places, and find interesting things along the way.
    If you enjoy fishing primarily for the surprise of what you catch, rather than an expected catch, then you'll really understand the love of metal detecting.

Like fishing there is some level of expected outcome, but that is where things are fun if you leave your mind open for adventure. Lots of metal detectors will tell you on screen the ID number associated with a particular metal (calibrated for coin sized objects), tones that can be tailored to various metals, as well as other details like depth and icons that show the probability of various metal items that fall into a given range of ID numbers.

For example, my CTX will give me the Ferrous and Conductive numbers and personally assigned tones for each piece of metal that the coil goes over. After many hours/years of listening to targets at varying depths, noting what the detector is telling me through tones, and shows me via the display, I can usually tell the difference between indian head pennies, from pre 1950 wheat pennies, from wheat pennies and copper memorials up to 1982, and from zinc pennies. However, even with all that knowledge I get fooled and dig up an old token, or piece of plated jewelry, dog tag, stainless steel washer, etc.....

It's all about the dig...."whats inside the ground, man?".... "whats inside the ground?"

Same with pesky pull tabs. You dig a hundred of them, and figure screw it I am going to skip these because I am tired of digging them (and there are A LOT of pull tabs to dig). Then your buddy comes up behind you and he's digging everything and pulls a nice small gold ring. Damn-it!!!

Fun stuff!

TXpro4X4 and WileECoyote[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top