1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Metal Shavings on Transmission Dip Stick

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pyro13g, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Feb 18, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    pyro13g

pyro13g [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab 4-CYL 5-Lug
    2.5" Lift, Add A Leaf, ridding on 30's, Sound Mat in floors and doors
    So how bad is this really going to be? I was checking my fluids the other day and found some metal shavings on the dip stick for the transmission fluid..... I hope this is not what i think it is (bad tranny)... I should mention before anyone gives me advice that the radiator did have some holes in it from a tire that shreaded on the highway about 6 mos ago... The radiator was fixed/ repaired so this is maybe where metal shavings could have gotten into the radiator and therefore the transmission fluid since the 2nd gen tacomas run transmission cooling through the main radiator (if you dont have towing package).

So what should i do? Its at about 70,000 miles.. which means toyota will bend me over and rape me if i take it to them...

Do i pull off the transmission drain pan and clean it out, replace fluid and see how it looks in a couple weeks/ month or two?

Or take it to shop and hope for good news?

What am i looking at to replace it? $1200? $3000? Arm & Leg?
    If that happens to be the case, how hard is it to replace the tranny yourself with the help of a few friends?

2. Feb 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Shavings on your dip stick?
    You mean glitter, sparkles?
    That's likely clutch. If you pound it you can have a lot of that. You're checking the pan BEFORE the filter. Anything too heavy to be sucked up by the sump but be agitated by returning fluid could be on there. THere'll be metal and clutch particles.

If you're worried about it. Drop the pan (assuming it has one) and check out what's in there and change the filter (assuming it has one).

IF you were to find bits of planetary gear, yea.. 1200-3000 for a rebuilt transmission probably. Paid 1200 for the last automatic i had. 4l80e I think it was. Installed in 1998ish

Something you could do, but don't invite your friends. They'll just force bolts, cross thread things, lose your fittings, lean on your truck and put grease on your refrigerator.

But, if its not slipping or making noise, shifting hard or anything, why think its headed south? Probably nothing. Just check it out to make sure. Its an 07, when does the manual require fluid and filter replacement? You definitely have particles in the pan. Probably all it is.

Probably pushing rebuild territory if your one profile pic is any measurement of normal use. Muddy, trailer, 4cyl, automatic; My transmission would be used up in 70k possibly.

Products Discussed in

To Top