1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Michelin LTX A/T2's

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by NMG, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Dec 9, 2009 at 2:34 PM
    BG04

BG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    I almost didn't get the tires but Im glad I did. Here are my 265 70 16 on a stock lift.

tire2.jpg

tire1.jpg

tire3.jpg

tire4.jpg

2. Dec 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    BG04

BG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    Thanks I couldn't find any pics so I made sure people could find detailed pics if they searched for 1st gen. Its worth the extra money.

3. Dec 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    BG04

BG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    They are very quiet both city streets and highway. I dont hear anything except wind and engine so far what I noticed. The take offs are quicker than before. I barely give it gas to go. I heard they rolled better but now I know. Also compared to BFG RT the steering is a lot lighter feeling. Toyota should have put these on from the factory they are great tires.

4. Dec 9, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    BG04

BG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    If you visit discount tires web site and look up these michelin AT tires you can read reviews and see how many people currently have these tires, how many miles they have driven with them and if they would buy them again. That is what sold me. If you compare the reviews to BFG AT most of them said they would not buy again. The guy at the store tried to get me in BFG they had them ready to go and I almost did. Now I am glad I waited an extra day to get these.

5. Dec 10, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    Fyrmedic707

Fyrmedic707 Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 AccessCab Speedway Blue
    Went from BFG Rugged Trails to LTX AT2 (P265/70/16).
    About 55,000 on stock 4x4 TRD (2006)

Finally got mine installed yesterday. Initial impressions - great tire. As stated before, it is a much lighter steering feeling, but in a safe way. Tires feel like they handle much better as well.

So, as for the whole road noise level, I really didn't know what road noise was. I mean, I know what it means, but thought "Its a truck, its going to be noisy, and you cant really hear tires unless they are some huge MT's or something." Wow, was I wrong. These tires are pretty much silent compared to the BFG RT's. I can actually hear the engine. I commute and do a lot of freeway driving, and these seem to be MUCH better so far.

Its supposed to rain here in California over the next few days, so I will report back with rain performance. Shouldn't be hard to beat the BFG RT's, which were TERRIBLE in rain.

Looks: The tire looks good, not overly aggressive and not a highway/ plain looking tire. I thing the BFG AT is the best looking tire, but I didn't want it due to past bad experiences with the tire. The store tried to get me to buy the BFG AT over this, and I too am happy so far with my Michelin purchase.

Well, these of course are my first impressions, with only about 70 miles so far. I will definitely update with more miles, rain and snow experiences.

Any pic requests from people?? Any angles or looks they want to see. I can easily take pics and post them.

Oh - and FYI, as of now the 265/75 is not available. The place I got them from said they are on a national backorder, and he called about 6 different distributors and they did not have them. I would have rather had the 75's, but the 70's look just fine.

6. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM
    Fyrmedic707

Fyrmedic707 Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Quick rain update: We just had a pretty good size storm come through Northern California. I have driven quite a bit over the last few days preparing for Christmas. This included highway, urban streets, and some steep hills (paved). The tires performed great. Not once did I feel as if they had hydroplaned, or had any control issues. They also have performed much better on the same roads than the BFG RT's. So far, after a few hundred miles, still great. My next update will hopefully be with a few thousand miles, some offroad, and of course snow.

7. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:24 PM
    Seagrave

Seagrave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC LB 4x4 Sport
    Thanks for the update!!!!

8. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    BG04

BG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    I will update as well I think people here would enjoy them as I have but know nothing about them. Everything is great still glad I bought these. So far I haven't seen any rain or snow yet.

9. Dec 14, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    jdavis92

jdavis92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab, 2.7L, 5spd
    Stock
    Just got a set of the LTX A/T2's on the Tacoma I just bought.

Stayed with the stock 245/75 R16 size.

They look good and I just took them hunting on some pretty gnarley desert trails where it'd been raining. They performed flawlessly!

I've had the old LTX AT's on a previous vehicle and liked them. In the short term these seem to be holding up to the Michelin name.

Jeff in Flagstaff

10. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:46 PM
    NMG

NMG [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Thought I'd add yet one more update. We had some REALLY cold weather last week (-30 to -40 C) and the tires still handled it just fine. I actually continue to be impressed with the traction I get in 2WD with these shoes. At those temps many intersections get glazed down to very hard ice and there were times I was fully expecting that I'd have to pop it into 4WD to get going, yet when I took my foot off the brake, the truck just advanced forward and with some very gentle throttle application, I was able to slowly pick up speed without much fuss. This type of compact is about as slick as it gets (snow is much more manageable) and based on my experience thus far, I've only NEEDED to pop it into 4WD once. That was when I was trying to back up an incline that was completely compacted ice and I had to start from a dead stop. I have had the odd bit of spinning, but that was almost certainly due to trying to use too much gas for the conditions.

These tires have been simply awesome when proper winter driving techniques are employed. Love my Michelin's!

11. Dec 18, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    thats great to hear.my buddy had them on a f-250 deisel and he hated them for wet traction.but thats him.

12. Dec 18, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    Fyrmedic707

Fyrmedic707 Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weird. Its funny because if you look on tirerack for reviews, in general for any tire, they differ from guys with our trucks and bigger 3/4 to 1 ton trucks. They are so much heavier and act so much differently than our smaller trucks. Especially with that much torque and weight.

Now after awhile, some really heavy rains and a lot more driving, I can say I am VERY happy with my Michelin purchase.

Oh - NMG, thanks for the review. If my knee starts to feel better, i will be going to Tahoe for some snowboarding soon and I will give my own "california" snow review.

13. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I got a set in the fall of 2008 at Costco for $~760 out the door with the rebate... I've since put about 22k on mine. I've been rotating them every 7,500 miles, and it appears that they've worn quite a bit, more than I was expecting based on experience with other Michelin tires, but again, need to check current tread depth vs. new. The tires do well in snow in 4wd on unmaintained roads. I had my truck out in the national forest at about 10,000' in elevation on an unmaintained road last month with a good amount of snow, and had no trouble. They handle snow on pavement well, but they don't exactly inspire confidence on ice... not that I expect anything less than a winter tire to do so. I had once incident turning into a parking lot last year where I encountered some black ice, and my rear end started to slide out on me. I would have sideswiped a car had it not been for the stability control kicking in.

I have a topper and keep a couple of 60lb bags of tube sand in the bed in the winter, which I recommend. I keep my speed reasonable when there's snow or ice on the road... they will definitely break loose if you push them. The Blizzak's on my wife's Subaru are a whole different story. It's damn near impossible to get those things to spin on ice.

14. Mar 17, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    Have any of you guys had these out in the dirt yet?

I'm in a funny spot regarding tires and need one tire that does multiple jobs. I'm a whitewater nut. I'm completely willing to drive a thousand miles a weekend just for good water. This means I need a quiet highway tire with good wet response. It rains in Oregon. A lot.

However, there is an inverse correlation between the quality of water and the quality of the road leading to it. More often than not, the word "road" is rather generous. I don't do rock crawling per se, but sometimes a little is in order to get passed a fallen tree or a giant puddle.

In short, I need a quiet long distance tire with excellent wet traction, that won't die of punctures in the sticks. Do these work well for that?

15. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    X2... just got them installed today. I got it in 265/70R16 too but it looks bigger than stock BFGs for some reason.. maybe just because it's not too dirty yet. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

Great design: has sipping for the snow yet leaves large enough channels for mud
    [​IMG]

These are way more aggressive looking in person than pics on Michelin site
    [​IMG]

16. Jul 24, 2015 at 11:38 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Well let's resurrect this. I have them on my 2001 I'm about to sell, loved them, still have deep tread after 50k miles.

Now consideering them for the 2015 now to replace the Dunflops.

Looking to go up to 265/75/16.

Post 'em up. Silver DCLBS especially :)

Mush Mouse likes this.
  17. Jul 24, 2015 at 1:10 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Great tires. I got them 4 years ago.
    Very grippy both on-road and off-road, and show very little wear.

I did have trouble getting the 265/75R16 size (that I really wanted) from Americas tire, though.
    So I settled for 265/70R16.

Mush Mouse likes this.
  18. Jul 26, 2015 at 2:51 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    I am really liking what I'm hearing about these tires. I am glad I ran across this thread because tomorrow I was going to order the LTX M.S. 2 I like how the A.T. 2 look. So my question to all you guys is, has anyone had any problem with vibration or getting them balanced correctly?

19. Jul 26, 2015 at 3:03 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    The shop I bought my AT2s from had trouble balancing them. But that's because they were retarded. I had vibes around 55 to 65.

Took it to another shop, no problem, no special voodoo involved. Rotate them every 5k, no issues with sound or vibes.

You are paying for Michelin quality, but you get it. Plus, they are not particularly aggressive.

Mush Mouse likes this.
  20. Jul 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    no vibrations they run better than most All Seasons,they actually enchance the smoothness. if you get vibs its not because of these tires. I was also torn between the AT2 and MS2 im glad I got the AT2 for my TRD Offroad look and handle awesomely love these tires

DwightKSchrute likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top