1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Might be dumb....Discord server idea?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Russianman92, Aug 22, 2019.

?

Tacomaworld Discord Server?

1. Sounds good!

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Nah

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Aug 22, 2019 at 3:59 AM
    Russianman92

Russianman92 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dunwoody GA
    Vehicle:
    1995 White Tacoma 3RZ 4x4 5 speed
    bilstein shocks/struts Add-a-leaf Mostly stock. Running 31x10.5 r15
    Morning guys. This may be dumb and not practical so bare with me.

What if we had a Tacomaworld discord server? You can have discord on your phone as well and not just your desktop app so it is mobile and can carry with you.

There are so many times where I have seen someone that would like some help/feedback on a problem ASAP as they are stuck. I know a lot of members don't have a chance to check the Forum until they are off work or busy or something along those lines. This allows for the ability to send a message in discord for, as an example, someone stranded on the side of the road and need help as soon as possible. Additionally the added ability to anonymously jump in to a voice channel to talk instead of type to attempt to diagnose a problem or get assistance in general on the spot would be awesome.

Like a community run tech support server to help each other. It isn't mandatory...but for those who want to jump in and help on their free time. There have been so many times where I wish I could just explain a problem or listen to someone explain their problem as text can at times not fully easily explain what's going on.

You could have text channels for "stranded" issues, urgent issues, engine related, transmission related, drive-train related, electrical, etc... Under each have multiple voice channels so people could jump in and try and help diagnose the problem via voice or text. Obviously the server to be used in a mature manner. You can even add a BS voice/chat channel so if people want to just talk about random stuff they can. You can have the same MODS here MOD the discord server or some members that are very active and responsible.

Idk...just a thought. If it is dumb or not practical please let me know why you think so instead of just replying with "NO" or "You're dumb". I would like to have a discussion.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Sailorsport likes this.
  2. Aug 22, 2019 at 4:11 AM
    Sailorsport

Sailorsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    Black 2017 Tacoma Sport DCSB
    MBRP exhaust, TRD air intake, TRD pro grile
    I don't think it's a bad idea, it would just take some advertising to get enough people to join the server to become effective for what you're intending (quick response time for urgent issues if I am understanding correctly)

Russianman92[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 22, 2019 at 4:30 AM
    Funkensour

Funkensour Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2004 Prerunner SR5 Tacoma 2WD
    scion xb seat swap/ 3rd gen 4 runner swap in progress
    I have tried.to use discord before via reddit and the app is a little.hard for me to use. I prefer email based

4. Aug 22, 2019 at 4:55 AM
    Russianman92

Member:
    Dunwoody GA
    Vehicle:
    Discord is an app that essentially allows you to create/join a server. On the server there are different channels text or voice. You can join those channels with other people and talk via voice or join the text channel and type there.

It is really easy to learn how to use and once you do you would see the benefit. It's difficult to explain as it is easier to show.

Sailorsport and Taco critter like this.
  5. Aug 22, 2019 at 5:01 AM
    Jibbs

Jibbs "When in doubt, throttle out!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2017 SCREW Raptor Lightning Blue
    Whoooooooshchchch
    My biggest worry is that it would just become as awful as the tacomaworld facebook page. Theres already a big difference in maturity between the forum and FB group, and adding another outlet for Kyle from LA to ask how to fit 20s on his $0 down $60k trd pro sport edition without having the benefit of a search function at all for him to ignore isnt gonna be fun for anyone.

I do like the thought process of using it for "Im stuck"- but at the same time if you can connect to discord you can also just hop on here. Those threads draw alot of attention and usially get the person helped.

Hobbs and Wulf like this.
  6. Aug 22, 2019 at 5:02 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    You lost me at app. I hate apps, I find apps annoying and intrusive.

This might be good for people who are more active on the site than I.

Taco critter likes this.
  7. Aug 22, 2019 at 5:04 AM
    Russianman92

Member:
    Dunwoody GA
    Vehicle:
    Well, on mobile it is an app you download.

On desktop you can access discord via browser and dont have to download an app

8. Aug 22, 2019 at 5:11 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    I think you have a good idea. Personally I don't like having to create accounts, I didn't really want to sign up for TacomaWorld, but that's how it works. I reluctantly use technology.

9. Aug 22, 2019 at 5:27 AM
    Sailorsport

Sailorsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    Black 2017 Tacoma Sport DCSB
    MBRP exhaust, TRD air intake, TRD pro grile
    I agree with you in the sense of "Kyle not doing the research" however I think there's going to be people like that on every platform.

10. Aug 22, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    Wulf

Wulf no brain just damage

Member:
    First Name:
    Kira
    1789 28th St, Boulder, CO 80301
    Vehicle:
    rock raisin
    I don't see the need; this forum's mobile site works really well. if you need help in a pinch the 1st gen lunchtable thread sees a lot of traffic from knowledgable people. Plus there's also the TW live thread...

If needing help locally nearly every regional subforum has an active BS thread as well :notsure:

jbrandt likes this.
  11. Aug 22, 2019 at 9:57 AM
    JC15Taco

JC15Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    SK, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD DCLB
    I find the mobile site to be very good, and I'm an old 'luddite'. :) :amen:
    Jeff

12. Aug 22, 2019 at 10:53 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    We are a community of Toyota enthusiasts, not first responders. While there are some 1st responders that are members, TW should NOT be what you look to communicate with in an emergency.

While some people have been helped by making "help!" posts, it's honestly not something I would encourage.

Jesus, if you have enough cell coverage to post on TW or any other internet connected service, call 911 if it's an emergency. If you're stuck on the side of the road, just call AAA.

Sending a message to people who are 1,200+ miles from you is just wasting bandwidth. Sure, you are casting a wide net and many many people (eventually) get the message, but what is the point of me in CA getting a message about someone stuck in New Hampshire?

TW is a great community. TW is a good place for members to gather and coordinate trips to help another member get out a stuck vehicle, for example, but more like "okay guys, I had to abandon my truck this weekend, let's get some people and tools together to go get it" not the "help! I'm stranded and will have to spend the night!"

Back to the whole "community run" tech service thing, there's enough shitposting on this site, and it is well moderated by very specific people with specific responsibilities. I've honestly never heard of it, but the way I interpret your description of it, discord, IMO, would be no better, and in fact worse than the facebook group. Now instead of just facebook notifications, you now essentially get text messages for everyone asking about how to fit 33's and what kind of oil to use? No thanks.

Hobbs, PzTank and Wulf like this.
  13. Aug 22, 2019 at 11:01 AM
    Russianman92

Member:
    Dunwoody GA
    Vehicle:

You can opt out of notifications if you want. So you're saying that people posting on here asking for mechanical help is shitposting? Fair enough. Just an idea.

14. Aug 22, 2019 at 11:08 AM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    So a member with the name @Russianman92 wants us all to link up with a server.....

I’ll pass :D Thanks for the offer :thumbsup:.

crackils and jbrandt like this.
  15. Aug 22, 2019 at 11:45 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    I didn't say that at all. I said there is shitposting on this site, I did NOT say this site is all shitposting.

As is the issue with the facebook group, the main problem are the elevendy billion posts for things that have already been discussed thousands of times over the years. Even with this site having a very good search feature, some people still don't use it (let alone just using google). While we'll always have those people, I would prefer to avoid a system where you can't even search. We don't need to start an entirely new conversation every time someone is wondering what oil they should use or what kind of lift they need to fit their 33's.

Honest question: Not being familiar with the system you're describing, if you don't get instant notifications, what is different/better about that vs. what TW already is?

16. Aug 22, 2019 at 12:13 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    I thought there already were discords. They are usually specific to certain topics within the site though which makes sense.

17. Aug 23, 2019 at 5:54 AM
    Russianman92

Member:
    Dunwoody GA
    Vehicle:
    I misunderstood your previous statement then. Apologies.

Discord allows for members to essentially join a chat room in voice or text. Essentially you can opt in to instant notifications or opt out. It gives you that option. Voice allows for people to try and talk through problems instead of type. I always felt that you can get to the solutions faster that way. You can even be in voice talking to members trying to help while you're at your vehicle working to try and diagnose the problem.

18. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:18 AM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    I prefer sticking to the forum simply because it's easier to search. Voice conversations and live chats tend to be lost to time. The people on the live chat end up answering the same questions over and over, then get grumpy. I've seen it happen on IRC.

The thing is love to see would be a wiki, but they take quite an effort to setup right and maintain.

THE_KiRRAx likes this.
  19. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:38 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Logging on to chat is so 90's.

20. Aug 23, 2019 at 9:45 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Yeah, but it's "retro" now so it's cool again.

:rofl:

That reminds me, I just got the new 1 MHz version of the Commodore 64. I hear they're working on a new computer with a whole 1MB of ram, but so far, only the military have access to it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, I just don't see the advantage.

I don't know how old you are, but it sounds like you might be too young to remember the chat rooms of the 90's. Maybe I'm just being ageist, and making ASSumptions... This just sounds eerily similar, just with voice technology. There's a reason those chat rooms died. I was a high school senior in '97, I believe that was the year AOL released its chat room as a stand alone program (or "app" as the kids call it these days). I used it quite a bit at first, especially when I was a freshman in college. I soon realized that there really weren't that many of my friends who were online, especially at the same time I was. That's were email came in. If I wanted to talk with someone, I'd call.

Again, with emergencies, just freakin' dial 911 or AAA, or call the friends you've met through the forum you know are locals who could actually help. As for helping people with maintenance or whatever, I find it way more helpful to have a thread with pictures or video and a description that I can read through at my own pace, and re-read what I need to, then ask specific questions for clarification if needed. If you really need 1 on 1 help, there have been numerous times where a build party happens, or just a few members get together (in person) and help a fellow Toyota enthusiast install their new leaf springs or whatever.

I can't imagine someone wanting to be chatting live with me for the 2.5 days it took me to do my timing belt. Yikes.

Think about trying to help your grandma reinstall printer drivers, but having to first describe to her over the phone what a mouse cursor is and where the internet is located... And no, that's not a retractable cup holder. :frusty:

I've seen a few threads over the years where a couple people exchange phone numbers and solve the issue that way. Just doesn't seem to be the demand for a dedicated server for this.

se7enine[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top