1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mild driveline vibration ???s

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LDrider, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Feb 21, 2008 at 4:34 PM
    LDrider

LDrider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR 2.7 Access Cab 4x4 (sold to Carvana!)
    I have a 2008 Acess Cab 4.0 Auto 4WD with 5K on it. Since new it seems to have a vibration that I can feel while holding the steering wheel and through the pedals. This vibration is present at most speeds. I think it is a driveline issue because when I lift, it seems to disappear somewhat.

My truck is factory stock. I will be bringing it in for the 5K service next week, and will tell the service department about it. Anything I should be aware of or anyone else experience this? I am going to take a new one out while I am at the dealer to see if this vibration is present in that one also. Reason? I have a <hunch> the dealer will say "they all do that"...TIA for any advice.......

2. Feb 21, 2008 at 5:29 PM
    sako243

sako243 Active Member

Member:
    pennsylvaina
    Vehicle:
    2008 taco 4x4 off road v6
    scangaugell, bug deflector,
    i have the same truck with 5 spd auto. have a vibe just when trams is shifting from 1st to second from A dead stop

3. Feb 22, 2008 at 7:12 AM
    Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franklin,NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD V6 4x4
    metra ipod
    I had my front diff go bad with only 600 miles on the truck it was giving me vibrations also it would come and go so I drove it until I could recreate the problem for the service dept 4 trip to the shop they finally got if fixed but i have very mild vibartions when giving it gas to stay at speed I think it's got something to do with being a v-6 instead of and 8 like my last tundra

4. Apr 13, 2008 at 8:38 AM
    04asphalt

04asphalt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    driving 50-65 I let off the gas an the truck stops vibrating, back on the gas just a little and it's right there like an on/off switch:mad:

anyone heard about a class-action for this defect?;)

5. Apr 13, 2008 at 11:15 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    dude.....you just need to get rid of that particular truck and get a different one. i guarantee you that the next one will be fine.

6. Apr 13, 2008 at 11:33 AM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    Mine jiggles (feels more like wind resistance to me) a little around 60-75. I think Its just because Im getting used to driving a vehicle thats higher off the ground than the C-230 sport I was in before. My kid loves her new view in the truck.

7. Apr 13, 2008 at 11:37 AM
    ChrisDeSoup

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    My wife says I'm wrong and the truck drives fine! :der:

8. Apr 14, 2008 at 12:35 PM
    04asphalt

04asphalt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner

:poking::rofl:rather sign up for the class-action than loose a bunch of cash lol

9. Apr 14, 2008 at 1:46 PM
    aknagcameltoe

aknagcameltoe Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma dbl cab 4x4
    none
    Good luck at the Dealer ! your right they will say they all do it ...thats what I've been told with my problem . the steering wheel shakes. they put on new tires and it made it better but 8k miles later and here it is back again ... the little shake shimmy you feel is it when you start from a light or all the time ? I had one from a standstill start it would shimmy and when I turn the wheel and started to move it would do it ... they put an additive they said they have done it to other truck and it helped and with mine it did help . but the truck rides like shit. wish I never bought it .shakes . feels like a bumpy road all the time .... SHITBOX can't wait to unload it

10. Apr 14, 2008 at 2:06 PM
    ChrisDeSoup

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    +1:D

11. Feb 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    LDrider

LDrider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR 2.7 Access Cab 4x4 (sold to Carvana!)
    Well, my truck now has 22,000+ miles on it and the vibration is getting progressively worse. New, balanced tires haven't helped. A very high frequency vibration that now begins around 40mph and up. If I lift, the vibration instantly goes away. It isn't a shimmy or a wobble, but a true buzzing vibration.

The truck also seems to wander all over the place. Constantly have to keep sawing at the steering wheel to keep it in a straight line. I recently been driving my 1992 Ford Taurus wagon with 166,000 miles on it and can't believe how much better that POS is on the highway than my 28K Tacoma.

What is the final word about the vibration? A look through the forum comes up with a million hits with a million solutions...TIA for any help. I really want to like this truck, but it is getting harder and harder.....BTW, when I bring it to the dealer I get a blank stare and they say it is <normal>. This is after they blamed the tires...

12. Feb 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    tammikm

tammikm Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5 AUTO
    n/a
    I have an 06 with 30,000 km on it and it has the exact vibration you decribed... I'll be going to the dealer soon as well, let me know how you make out..

13. Feb 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM
    danmckennat

danmckennat Well-Known Member

Member:
    chardon, ohio
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma access cab offroad package
  14. Feb 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    My tires WERE out of balance from the dealer, they re-balanced no question/problem and my vibration is gone. Your problem is definitely consistant with driveline (or other drivetrain) problems since it stops when not loaded. Misalignment or unbalanced tires will vibrate all the time.

I had an old jeep with a lift that created a severe angle on the driveline which caused the u joints to wear out prematurely. Whenever it vibed under acceleration I knew it was time for new ones, once replaced it was smooth again.

Also, I know that older drivelines had to be balanced, I'm guessing it's true with new ones too. Maybe the weight came off or was never tacked onto the driveline?

15. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    kevymetal

kevymetal New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Stock 4X4 Taco
    I know that there are still a lot of people out there that are still having this problem so here is the solution I found.
    I have been trying to figure this same problem out for months and months. Minor vibration at 20-25mph, severe vibration at 60-70mph. It was bad in the floor and seat like I had a solid tranny mount instead of a rubber one. It went away at about 80mph.

So, after replacing:
    Center bearing
    Center support brace
    U-Joints
    Leaf springs

I finally broke down and pulled the drive line out and took it in and had it made into a one piece and all my problems are gone. I found several places that all acknowledged that they have been doing a lot of these in SoCal for the 2nd gen of Tacos.

16. Nov 17, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    Ok guys, I've been reading about these vibration issues for a year now. That's how long I've had my truck and that's how long I've had the vibration. Unfortunately I test drove a different truck cuz they didn't have the color so I ordered mine new.
    Anyway 60mph and over, it's been progressively worse. I have 14700 miles now and finally had time to take it in for my yearly inspection, oil change, new blower motor and the VIBRATION that actually shakes the passenger seat if nobody is in it. The dealer felt it and but couldn't find where it was coming from. They opened a Case # with Toyota and ended up doing what I suggested from all the reading: They rotated the carrier bearing housing 180 degrees where the drive shaft is held in place. They claim it's fixed but I won't get a chance to check their work until tomorrow morning. Wish me luck and I'll report back.

17. Nov 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    crashnrondo

crashnrondo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB Limited
    tag for the results

18. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    Well I got to try it today. By the way I looked underneath to see if anything was done. I'm not a mechanic so bare with me as my story is changing slightly. The carrier bearing that is question is actually at the joint sort of in the middle of the drive shaft (2 piece drive shaft) to keep everything in line. It's hard to tell if they rotated the housing but I could definitely tell the whole bracket that holds the housing to the frame was slid to the drivers side by about 1/2 inch. Whether they did it on purpose or not I don't know but my guess is yes. What it did was to change the resonating frequency. In other words, it now vibrates more between 40-55 and much less between 60-75 but it still does it. I'd say the hum that hurts my ear is around 62.
    So-- I think since the housing is on slots, it is just two screws that you can loosen to move it around and change the angle enough where you may be able to find a happy medium?
    Sorry I dot have the end-all answer but maybe some help.

19. Nov 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    BTW I forgot to mention... the dealer said he never saw this before. I call B.S.

20. Nov 19, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    kevymetal

kevymetal New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Stock 4X4 Taco
    I went through all of this before and wasted a lot of time throwing parts at my truck. When I finally pulled my driveline out I saw that there was a lot of opposing weights on the rear shaft. This is not really acceptable if you are trying to obtain a balance and you keep adding weights to counter the last weight you put on. I figure whoever balanced mine on the assembly line was just too high to know what they were doing. Also, having it made into a 1 piece should only cost a few hundred compared to the $1000+ I spent replacing parts. Drives flawlessly now!
    Good Luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top