1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mini H1 retrofit

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by REDTRD, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    REDTRD

REDTRD [OP] Woods & Water Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    Ok new question I'm starting all this tonight and prob won't get to putting the shroud on tonight but how do you make the shroud stick to the projector/reflector bowl. I see 4 screws on the shroud is that is screw them down to the projector once I get it aligned?

2. Sep 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    Tacolover443

Tacolover443 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Haverford, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OR DCSB BSP
    Satoshi, color match grill, 2 Hella 500ff's, rear TSB, yellow "Taco", OEM all-weather floor mats, OEM TRD seat covers, Ultra-Gauge, bed linered rear bumper, Plasti-dipped rims, DuraTrac's,
    You actually want to glue it on with the silicone that you have for the rest of the projector, but make sure to put the silicone on the actual projector where the shroud will slide on to, not the other way around or you run the risk of getting the silicone on the projector.

3. Sep 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    That made sense, but also confused the shit outta me at the same time lol I'll have the headlights apart tonight maybe it will make more sense. I got the mini gatling's b/c they were supposed to be simple to install. But I did pick up some of the GE clear silicone that another member suggested I get. I suppose this is were it comes into play.

4. Sep 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    Rascal737

Rascal737 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    yeah, the silicone to "glue" the shroud on to the projector and to seal around the lens once everything is put together...just before you install it on to the truck. It's just extra protection from moisture getting into the housings.

5. Sep 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    Sorry for the dumbass moment but in this picture which part needs to be glued the red or the yellow? Or are you talking about putting glue on the back side
    eskvw7_2b43d20b2eac47204bdc78f6528e55d02bd82e19.jpg

6. Sep 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    apply the silicone on the projector, where it touches the shroud, then slide the shroud over top so the silicone doesn't get onto the projector lens.
    then if the shroud touches the reflector bowl you can silicone in those areas as well, but apply the silicone on the inside of the shroud so that it doesn't become visible from the outside.

hope that helps, so really to answer your question...you can glue both red and yellow areas, but at the minimum the red area

7. Sep 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    Got it just don't get any glue on the projector lens it self.

8. Sep 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    It's started lights are in the oven!

9. Sep 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    Tacolover443

Tacolover443 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Haverford, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OR DCSB BSP
    Satoshi, color match grill, 2 Hella 500ff's, rear TSB, yellow "Taco", OEM all-weather floor mats, OEM TRD seat covers, Ultra-Gauge, bed linered rear bumper, Plasti-dipped rims, DuraTrac's,
    Sweet! Glad we got the shroud thing worked out hahaha. Good luck!

10. Sep 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    ok got them apart and was just looking how the projector goes threw the bowl does this rubber washer need to be on inside of the bowl or outside? And this is the BIG rubber washer not the smaller one. Wasn't sure which one to use.
    nqz49z_146dcaa6c496cc1a87098c9c0b752990964186b1.jpg

11. Sep 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    Ok figured that stupid rubber washer part out, now on to the dreaded shrouds! Do I have to take out the reflector bowls just to put the shrouds in or just glue em in. This is what I got so far! Painting turn reflectors also tonight, hopefully pick up on the shrouds later.
    [​IMG]

12. Sep 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    you can glue em on with the projectors on.. doesnt matter.. but test fit everything first before you glue em

13. Sep 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    I've got some GE waterproof silicone clear would that work as a good enough glue. It says Temp is good for up to 400 degrees The projector it self won't get that hot will it? Or should I use something different.

14. Sep 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    i would use permatex ultra black hi-temp silicon OR JD weld.... use the GE silicone to seal the lights at the end around the housing for extra measure

15. Sep 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    Ok I'll pick some up in the morning, thanks for your help :thumbsup: +rep!

16. Sep 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

17. Sep 6, 2012 at 5:06 AM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    A few other pic's from day one of the retro process! Even got the wife to help!
    [​IMG]

Taped off to paint side marker yellow and popped back in my yellow turn signal reflector and had to sit everything in to just get an idea of what it will look like. All the painting is done and I'll take pics of the painter tape off this afternoon when I get home. Haven't done an alignment yet that's next, but all depends on the weather this afternoon. But that's next on my list. How far from the wall to do a proper check 30ft?
    [​IMG]

18. Sep 6, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    25 ft is good.....approx 25 steps.

19. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    Anthony, lights are looking good...not too hard eh?!
    Nice to see that you got your wife to help! How did you do that?? lol

20. Sep 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    Yeah they aren't to bad at all man, I catch myself wanting to rush threw stuff then I got to settle back to down and remember I don't have to hurry I want to do it right and not have to reopen these things lol. I told the wife that I would take her and get her a new pair of shoes if she would get all the old glue off the inside so she pulls out the hair dryer and flat head screw driver and had both the lights cleaned up in 20 min and said, ok new shoes for me. :rolleyes: Looks like the rain may hold off for to be able to get them in and tested tonight :D

Products Discussed in

To Top