1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Minimum mods needed to fit 285/70-17

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Voodoo Rufus, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    I've pretty much settled on 265/70-17s for when I replace the stock tires, but I wanted to toss this to the forum anyway.

From what I've searched and read so far, one needs to trim the fender liner, possibly remove the front mudflaps, have the proper offset wheels or spacers to avoid rubbing the UCA, chop the cab mounts, and lift the truck in order to have 32.5" tires fit with no issues.

My upgrade list includes the following that would apply to this:

1. Planning on doing an aftermarket bumper, so fender liner trimming is coming anyway.
    2. Mudflaps can be easily replaced with something thinner like urethane rally flaps locally.
    3. Planning on new wheels anyway with enough offset to not rub the stock UCA.
    4. Cab mounts can be done locally by either friends or metal fab shop.

I have no intentions of "lifting" the truck. The most that would be on my mind would be 5100s all around with possibly a new Deaver or Alcan leaf pack. If I did lift it, I would want it to be small enough to have no chance of drive-line vibrations, if that's possible. Is lifting mandatory for 32.5"s to not wreck the stock fenders when articulating the suspension?

I drive about 6k miles per year on my personal vehicles, maximum. That translates to about $100-130 extra per year in fuel costs due to the approximate loss in mileage moving from 30.6" stock tires to 32.5". When I do plan on off-roading, it will be done on dirt county roads or exploring two-tracks. No rock crawling plans here. The only other thing that concerns me is the loss in acceleration due to the increase in tire diameter. I like to drive and accelerate enthusiastically, and a supercharger is definitely in the long term plans for the vehicle. The truck has an automatic transmission so it already cruises at lower rpms than a manual equipped truck.

I guess basically my question is, are 285/70-17s right for me and my applications, and can the tires be fit with the planned suspension upgrades I have in mind?

2. Apr 23, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    Voodoo Rufus

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    Wow, I can't even get a "search n00b" post, even if I already did search.

3. Apr 23, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You need the lift for the 285's...............n00b............:p

4. Apr 23, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Probably don't need to chop the cab mounts.

5. Apr 23, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    for 285 with no lift you WILL want to chop the cab mounts. Im running a 2.5" lift with 285's and during normal driving I dont get any rubbing but as soon as I hit the trails and take sharper turns I rub.

above you have two tire sizes. are you wanting 285's or 265's?

6. Apr 23, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    I'll admit that 285s look pretty nice, and am not afraid to modify the truck a bit to get them to fit. I am worried about the acceleration/braking performance loss from moving to that size. And since I don't want to lift the truck more than 1.5-2", I'm simply curious if the 285s might be overkill for what I want to do (trail running, no rock crawling).

7. Apr 23, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    90% of my drving is on paved roads. I cant really spin the the tires on pavement anymore but thats no big deal, my truck still accels plenty quick and Ive had to break pretty hard a few times and performed flawlessly

Products Discussed in

To Top