1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Misdiagnosed Frame

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cudason, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Mar 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM
    cudason

cudason [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TURD
    Eagle Alloy 050 series wheels. TRD fj shift knob Bilstein 5100 set @1.75 TRD CAI TRD seatcovers 2009 Taillights Xenon HID kit
    So here we go with another frame recall post. 2005 TRD sport imported into Canada from the US. I've owned it for 8 plus years. All previous recalls were done at my local Toyota.....so, I took my truck in under 2 years ago when I received my notice in the mail for the frame recall. I promptly took it in and it was "diagnosed" as being fine and was undercoated by the dealership. There was overspray all over my paint and they assured me the frame was fine. About 1 month ago I listed my truck for sale and had a buyer right away who wanted it inspected at Toyota. I've babied this truck and had no problem with the inspection. 2 minutes into the inspection the tech said there was a large hole behind the cat in the usual spot. The tech was also unsure whether the truck had even been undercoated. I contacted Toyota Canada and they just told me this morning that my truck would fall under the class action lawsuit in the USA and that the recall had expired and I was shit out of luck. I asked how if the other recalls were done in Canada how could this recall not be done here as well. Needless to say I've hired a lawyer and will be suing the local Toyota directly. I can't believe the disrespect I've received and am saddened that my truck has become a lawn ornament. They obviously over sprayed the rust hole as my truck has seen limited driving between the initial "inspection" and "undercoat" and there's now a 2 inch hole in the frame. Fucking disgusting. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament and would appreciate any feed back. I did my due diligence and Toyota dropped the purse. Real chicken shit stuff. See you in Supreme court you Cunts...sure glad I have lawyers in the family

TegoTaco and scottalot like this.
  2. Mar 7, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    ChemDawg

ChemDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    Can you Post up pictures?

lynyrd3 likes this.
  3. Mar 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Good luck , let us know how it turns out.

4. Mar 7, 2017 at 1:29 PM
    ajpagosa

ajpagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab TRD Off Road 6-speed manual
  5. Mar 7, 2017 at 2:12 PM
    cliffyk

cliffyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 TRD Sport 145k miles
    Nope, the Brian Warner et al. v. Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., Class Action Settlement is as the name implies a US only action.

from the Settlement Agreement:
    “Class” means, for settlement purposes only, all persons, entities or organizations who, at any time as of the entry of the Preliminary Approval Order, own or owned, purchase(d) or lease(d) Subject Vehicles distributed for sale or lease in any of the fifty States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and all other United States territories and/or possessions.

6. Mar 7, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    ajpagosa

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    DistortedAxis likes this.
  7. Mar 7, 2017 at 2:31 PM
    Blockhead

Blockhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2019 magnetic gray DCLB
    That's disgusting. I don't understand how people can outright screw somebody over like that!

8. Mar 7, 2017 at 2:32 PM
    ajpagosa

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Note edit above...

9. Mar 7, 2017 at 2:55 PM
    cliffyk

cliffyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 TRD Sport 145k miles
    In re-reading it the class definition from the US suit could be interpreted as including owners of vehicles "distributed for sale or lease in any of the fifty states..." regardless of citizenship or residence--t'would be a thing for lawyers to battle out.

The Canadian suit appears to be in it's infancy, still seeking participants and unclear as to whether they have even yet filed a complaint (there does seem to be a letter of intent that has been submitted to Toyota Canada).

10. Mar 7, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    ajpagosa

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:

I think the thing for the OP to do would be contact the attorneys for the US class action suit and ask them how to proceed:

http://www.toyotaframesettlement.com/

11. Mar 7, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    cudason

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TURD
    Eagle Alloy 050 series wheels. TRD fj shift knob Bilstein 5100 set @1.75 TRD CAI TRD seatcovers 2009 Taillights Xenon HID kit
  12. Mar 7, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    cudason

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TURD
    Here's the hole. Probably undercoat on the inside of the hole too. I will NEVER buy a Toyota again. And before you throw me under the bus for being a fucking whiny Canadian read the full story above. I got fucked. I did my due diligence and got fucked. I'm suing the local Toyota and have joined both Canadian and US settlements. I rely on my truck to pull my work trailer and will likely need to sell my house in order to get through this shit. My wife is unable to work as she's a full time caregiver to both herself and my young son who have type 1 diabetes. Thanks Toyota.

13. Mar 7, 2017 at 3:20 PM
    cudason

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TURD
    That's a pic of the hole and undercoat roughly 16,000 kms( not sure what that is in miles). It's obviously a bandaid to quell the hemorrhage that Toyota underwent with their fucked frames. Climb under your trucks and take a good look up there. Mine is right behind the Cat. I can't believe this wasn't seen

14. Mar 7, 2017 at 3:32 PM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Fellow BC'er here with a replaced frame;

Was your original inspection notice from Toyota Canada? On a US truck? weird.
    Part of the undercoating treatment is an extended warranty against rust. Did they mention that? I would be digging out that paperwork.

It's interesting that the Canadian dealership even touched it in the first place. I know they treat US imports pretty lousy here in the interior - like turning them down on trade in, not doing TSB work etc, etc..

Toyota Canada probably won't cover it - I would think it should be through Toyota USA.

15. Mar 7, 2017 at 3:34 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I know this won't make you feel any better, but look at the bigger picture. Personally, I think Toyota has gone far beyond what any other manufacturer has ever done in instances like this. I can pretty well guarantee you that none of the (former) "big three" would have done anything for you if your frame rusted out and you were beyond the limits of your 3 year / 36,000 mile factory warranty. For instance, Ford never recalled any of their early (2003-2004) Super Duty trucks with the famous 6.0 liter Powerstroke diesel engine that was an absolute POS. Although they stretched the warranty a bit, the really serious problems with these trucks didn't start until one got over 70,000 miles or so and everybody was out of warranty. (Ask me how I know that.) And what mileage limitation did Toyota put on replacing most folks frames?

ABNFDC, lynyrd3 and cory02taco like this.
  16. Mar 7, 2017 at 3:53 PM
    cudason

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TURD
    I wasn't aware that the undercoating is an extended warranty against rust. Nothing on my statement. If you have something on yours could you please post it? From this point on its in the lawyers hands. Tech at Toyota says it's fine to drive. I suppose until the frame breaks and I kill myself....then the lawyers will line their pockets

17. Mar 7, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    from the Canada recall thread;
    Copy of the Letter;

[​IMG]
    If they did an inspection and applied the CRC you should be extended.

18. Mar 7, 2017 at 4:57 PM
    cudason

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TURD
    Fuck well that changes things. Any chance you could send the whole document to me at

brooke.3@shaw.ca

That would be greatly appreciated and could turn the tide for me

19. Mar 7, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    BDL5589

BDL5589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM 4WD RC
    I don't understand why the hell one of the largest automakers in the world and one with possibly the greatest reputation for reliability can’t get the f*cking simplest part of a vehicle right.

Sorry OP, I wish you the best of luck with the whole thing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    lynyrd3 likes this.
  20. Mar 8, 2017 at 7:57 AM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    The key words you are looking for are "distributed for sale or lease in". You may have imported it into Canada, but it WAS sold ("distributed for sale") in the US.

lynyrd3 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top