1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Missing bolt and new rattle in driver's door

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by oldcb, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM

oldcb [OP] New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    First Name:
    Boulder, CO
    '02 Tacoma 4x4, 4 cyl
    Ran some errands in town today, and when I shut the door at one point it sounded just like a hammer handle was loose inside the door. There's now an empty hole where a bolt head had been, this in the end of the door below the latch and immediately below the VIN sticker. Swing the door in either direction and you can hear something substantial is no longer held in place. Latch, lock, and window crank all behave at present, but I don't want to let this go and let it develop into something.

So, I know I need a bolt (or machine screw or whatever), and that I'll need to remove the inside door panel for access. I'm generally wary of prying off an inside door panel until I know I can do it without damaging something. Is there any trick to removing the driver's panel? (I have crank windows and no auto door locks, no auto anything running to the door.)

And can anyone specify what size bolt I'll need, so I can get it from hardware store or auto supply house -- I HATE dealing with a dealership, and do so only if absolutely necessary.
To Top