1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mod Rear FJ Shock for Tacoma Mount

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by HBMurphy, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Apr 12, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    I'm going to have a "slight" interference fit. Jack, PePe and Sarah all spoke to me about some part of this install, I even spoke to the installation guy about it and he said he uses WD-40 and a rubber mallet to lightly press in (or tap in) the bushings. The spec for the All Pro provided bushing is .750". All steel manufacturers "cheat" a little on the diameters, so .749"/.748" (kind of like how a 2x4 is not really 2" x 4"). I'm pretty sure I'll match what All Pro provides with their kits but I'll double check the supplied dimensions upon delivery and post back.

2. Apr 12, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy [OP] Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Is All Pro sending them to you or are you getting them locally? :confused:

3. Apr 13, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Both. All Pro said they'd try to get them in the mail today (depends upon their supplier) and that they'd 2nd day air them to me. Seeing as how I'm w/o a vehicle until I get this fixed, I'm having one of the guys who works for me (after hours) make a set to my specifications on a lathe. I was able to get some scrap 302SS and he said he'd take 30 minutes to "whip them out" for me. I should have them outside of my office first thing this morning. Just hope they aren't too long...

4. Apr 13, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Don't forget to heat treat the 300 series! .... jk

5. Apr 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Pics coming in a few... How tight should the nut on the top of the shocks be? Torque value anyone?

6. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
  7. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    :D
    Sorry. That was a true geek test to the engineers - 300 series SS is martinsitic IIRC and is not heat treatable.... :eek:

8. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    I ended up installing the bushings by using a little lithium grease and installing the bolt thru the end of the bushing and then thru the shock. I tightened nut against the washer to let it pull the bushing into place. Worked like a champ! I have a ton of pics over in another thread... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...o-they-really-fit-out-trucks.html#post1659394

If you want any more pics I can take them for you... Also, I missed your heat treat reference above as I was focusing on the other stuff to help me get the problems I was having fixed. You should have thrown a couple of "stress relieving" 7075-T731 joes at me... :)

Oh yeah, probably the most important part... The longer bushings DID NOT WORK! I used calipers and measured the opening on my truck and it measured 1.27" and the bushing was too long. I had to run back up to work, have one end cut off, deburred, then take the girls to swim lessons and head back to work to pick up my 1.25" long busings. I'm glad I did that because the ones All Pro was going to 2nd day air to me STILL haven't shown up! weaksauce...

9. Apr 21, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    Bump since Paul updated his post.

So if you have All-Pro shocks your adjuster knob doesnt change any valving like say coilovers for a car, instead I think it controls the flow of oil thru the resi. On his re-valving he went 20/70 in his shocks I believe, or 20/60.

I have the normal 2.0 Piggy Backs for the FJ. The back of my truck felt super stiff, so I used my 1 free re-valve with ORW. Called Sonny and he suggested 30/70 and it feels great in my truck. This was Feb of 2010.

So bottom line, if you have a shock consider getting it re-valved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another member recently broke the upper 90 on his AP/FJ Fox shocks. Remember if you are running these and your clearance is tight, remove the shock and radius the mount to avoid contact. During your install the rubber bushings at the top should have a small bulge to them. Don't tighten them til you can't any more, as you bringing the shock higher into the mount and making your clearances even less.

10. Feb 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    They are GREAT GUYS - It's nice to get stuff from guys that know what they are doing and not just selling you parts! :)

Although I don't have limit straps, I have not had an issue other than the people that originally sold them to me had no flipping idea as to how they were valved and why would I want to change them! Once Sonny took care of me they have been GREAT. I have the adjuster but honestly the main valving is all that is really needed IMO.

11. Feb 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Just remember, that really depends upon how you wheel. They are trying to help you protect your shocks. If set up right, the limit straps WILL save your shock from destroying itself.

Products Discussed in

To Top