1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mode button problems with PAC SWI

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jay-Hawks, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    Jay-Hawks

Jay-Hawks [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Galveston
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD 4X2
    Tube Step, Leather interior, XM, Bed Extender, Tinted Windows, Dynolock
    Yesterday I installed an PAC SWI jack with an Alpine IVA-W205 and everything works fine except for the "Mode" button. When I was programming the PAC it never recognized the "Mode" button when I pressed it. It was fine with the volume and track buttons but no matter how many times I tried to program it I couldn't get the mode button to work.

Have others had similar experiences or do I have a bad PAC?

Thanks...Scott

2. Mar 4, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    what model of SWI did you get? i have the SWI-JACK on my kenwood and it works fine. in fact yuou can program any o fthe buttons for anything you like. however the functions on my kenwood are somewhat limited

3. Mar 4, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    Jay-Hawks

Member:
    Galveston
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD 4X2
    I bought the PAC SWI-Jack. When I program the thing sometimes it will see the "mode" button when pushed but regardless of what I try to program it with I can't seem to get it to work. Sometimes it will recognize that I have pressed the mode button and other times it doesn't but regardless of what it does during programming it never actually seems to work. Another proble I found yesterday is that when I play my IPOD that I can't advance the track using my steering wheel buttons, that sucks!

4. Mar 4, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    make sure you connections are solid. my swi-jack was not working properly when in had my jvc, sold that and put in a Kenwood dnx5120, in the process I found that one of the crimp connectors that spliced into the factory steering wheel control wiring harness did not penetrate the sheathing all the way giving it a bad connection which made some things work some times and other functions work for the wrong buttons.

oh and dont get discouraged programming those things takes multiple trys to get it perfect. Some times you must skip some of the functions to get it to work properly, (alpine ex. I would skip 3,4,5,9,10,11) just depends on what functions your alpine has. Follow these directions exactly to get it to work properly

5. Mar 4, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    did you install the resistor petween the last 2 wires on the connector as it stated in the instructions? did you make sure you installed the right value resistor? did you check the color codes? did you make sure you grounded the other wire?
    having looked at a schematic for the SW buttons on the tacoma that resistor has everything to do with the mode button, if the rest of the buttons are working i would look over the resistor and the hook ups again.

6. Mar 4, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    Jay-Hawks

Member:
    Galveston
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD 4X2

I did install the resistor and it was the right one, based on the instructions I read. Can you wire a resistor backwards?

7. Mar 4, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    To answer your Q, no resistors are not polarized so you can't wire them backwards.

I have 1 connected to my Pioneer P2600 - PACSWI-PS that worked great for awhile, now it won't remember the Sirius station up/down, it does channel category up/down instead. It's in the Pioneer unit cuz I can program it to do either CD track up/down & Seek up/down The Pioneer unit will not switch the channel select setting from channel category to channel #! Anyone had this problem? My Pioneer remote does the same thing. Guess I shoulda bought XM instead of Serius.

8. Mar 5, 2009 at 6:24 AM
    Jay-Hawks

Member:
    Galveston
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD 4X2
    Well I was able to get the mode button working correctly last night, honestly don't know what I was doing wrong before but I'm glad it's working now. I have another problem but I think I'm just going to have to live with this one. I discovered last night that if I program the buttons on the steering wheel for preset up and preset down that when I use the ipod that jumps between playlists and not tracks within a playlist which makes it pretty useless. If I program those buttons for next track and previous track then my sirius and regular radio won't go through the presets. Since I will be using the ipod less then sirius and the regular radio it looks like I will be stuck not having control over the ipod with the steering wheel controls unless someone has a solution to this problem.

9. Mar 5, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    I totally have the problem now where the "mode" button doesn't work at all. Probably a bad connection. I'm pulling out my DDX812 to add the Nav module, so I'll take a look at all the connections.

One thing I was wondering was what is the mating connector part number for the steering wheel control connector? Right now, I just have wires plugged directly into the sockets of the steering wheel connector, but I know I could get better connection using an actual mating half. I don't want to clip the connector off, and I suppose I could tap into the wires, but I just didn't know if anyone tried to find the mating half of that connector.

I also have the Scosche adapter for the JBL sub. I've noticed that when I hit bumps, half of my speakers turn off. It's intermittent, so I'm thinking I might have a bad connection. Has anyone had problems with this unit?

Thanks y'all!

10. May 6, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    Goblin

Goblin TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
    I'm having problems with my Swi-PS intermittently not working. No rhyme or reason to the sequence but it ends with all button functions not working. After stopping and restarting the Taco; bingo-we have use of the buttons again. I called PAC and the tech there said it is a common theme with the Taco's. He recommended double checking all my connections and then reprogramming the Swi with the vehicle running. Worth a try anyway.... I'll let you know if it works. Plan on doing it in a couple of days.

11. May 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    I must admit, my problems were with the Pioneer uint being in the wrong function mode. Evidentially I can program it to change by category or channel #. The mode was changed accidetally & I blamed the SWI. MY FAIL!
    Might check that out before you send the SWI unit off for replacement.

12. May 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    makes sure especially that your resistor connections are good. the resistor is the key element to the swi working correctly in the Tacoma

13. May 6, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    Goblin

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
    I feel the resistor is solid as it was soldered. If all else fails, you know I'll be pulling it out and redoing it. LOL

14. May 6, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    yep thats what I have done as well, has worked without a problem for 4 months so far on the second install

15. May 10, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    Goblin

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
    OK, so I'm an idiot! My problem was simple in that one of the wires was not quite in the splicer and barely made contact with the tab. UGH! A week of frustration over something so frigging simple. Anyhow, I ended up buying all new splicers and redoing all of them. No problems in the past two days!

Products Discussed in

To Top