1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Money or a life?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by GreeGunc, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Jun 19, 2018 at 2:12 PM
    GreeGunc

GreeGunc [OP] Full of regret

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen 3rz+18' inferno OR 6spd
    2lo mod. PIAA 510s. Green Floor Lights. Green dash swap. Axle dump exhaust. Husky floor mats. Moto metal mo970's. Shrockworks. Sundown sa-8. 9.5xrc. Kings
    Thanks man

You guys have persuaded me to stay, I'm learning everything I can. I get on something else every chance I can to get good with everything.

2. Jun 19, 2018 at 2:15 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    You've got to look at how strong your relationships are... I was in the same position. I just took a new position that pays me approx 10k less per year to have a better work/life balance and be only 2 hours from home instead of 6. I spent the last 5 years on the road chasing the almighty dollar, but realized what value my family had to me long term...

3. Jun 19, 2018 at 2:19 PM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
    Money isn't everything, but it is something. I chose a career that would give me plenty of it, so I could have a good life. What do you want out of life? Is what you make now getting it for you? Only you can answer that.
    I wanted a family, and a family life, not working all the time and not able to enjoy what I was working for. If you have to work OT to make ends meet, you need less ends or better income, not more hours. Quality of life matters.

You're young and can go in whatever direction you want. I suggest the direction that makes you happy longterm, whatever the money is.

4. Jun 19, 2018 at 2:31 PM
    hobiecat111629

hobiecat111629 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab
    Its all about the balance. I was asking myself the same question a few weeks ago and decided to find a middle ground.

5. Jun 19, 2018 at 2:32 PM
    1DVS-BSTD

1DVS-BSTD is probably confused

Member:
    Idiot Land
    Vehicle:
    '03 TRD Off-Road
    881's, Nitrochargers, Dakars, SR8's, Duratracs
    Being fiscally responsible and preparing for the future will always be a good idea. Friends and family are important too, but don't let them keep you from pursuing what sounds like a good opportunity. They will always be there if you need them. If the new job will effect your life in a positive way I say go for it. I would think your friends and family would encourage the same. I've made decisions based on being closer to friends and family (and a girlfriend), but to this day think, what if? Not sure if it's regret, but it certainly makes me wonder how different things may have been. Be it good or bad.

Ultimately it is a decision that only you can make and shouldn't be conflicted with what others think. Sometimes taking a chance and stepping out of your comfort zone is exactly what a person needs. Best of luck with your decision.

:cheers:

6. Jun 19, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    Woofer2609

Woofer2609 Getting better all the time.

Member:
    First Name:
    Clancy
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC 4X4 2.7 5M
    Best advice my grandfather gave me was get certified, with schooling of AT LEAST a 2 yr duration to get the ticket. All of a sudden, you are employable while another guy who doesn't have the ticket isn't.
    I got my teaching certificate, and well, actually, I love the work.
    I'd have been as happy getting my Red Seal certification as a carpenter. I started down that route after getting my bachelors degree, but got accepted to teaching college and did that instead.

I actually went back to school last year on a sabbatical from teaching to take the school portion of the carpentry apprenticeship, mostly because I want to build my own house.
    I found it challenging on my body in my 40's (mostly tennis elbow from swinging a framers hammer), but my teaching career allows me time to take another sabbatical to build a house, ideally under the tutelage of a journeyman or master carpenter . I may not get the red seal, but I'm OK with that .
    Do the physical labour first in your life. Nobody will argue that, but don't work unless you're working towards certification!

This is good advice. Be wise with your money! Maybe start reading the Mr Money Moustache.com site and save your money.

I personally worked too much in my late teens and 20's. I missed many good parties and screwed up some relationships because of my work loyalty.

3 hours pay now will equal 1 hours pay in 5 years down the road, so don't work too much.

Everything else has been said.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  7. Jun 19, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    1alexie

1alexie Member

Member:
    Canada
    You need money to live a life, for as long as your happy with what you are doing then you should never give up.

HighCountryTacoma likes this.
To Top