1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Monroe 37280 shocks and 3 leaf aal

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Troyken, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Feb 15, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    Troyken

Troyken [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    I bought the Monroe shocks for the rear of my '13 off road. I have added '15 factory 3 leaf springs with a three leaf AAL and no overload spring. I had older 5100's on with these springs but they seemed very soft to me and were used when I got them. I got 1.5" of lift in the rear with the newer springs. These shocks are listed for direct replacement on a stock truck. I installed them in June 2018. The shocks road well but I think they topped out (overextended) daily while backing out of the driveway. This is an off camber situation for me with the passenger side quite a bit lower. One morning, I heard an odd,something broke,noise while backing out. After that the passenger side had a rattle, but no leak. The drivers side was fine. I replaced them with standard 5100's last weekend. Rattle is gone , ride is smoother and very quiet.

This illustrates that stock length shocks (these anyway) are not suitable for a lifted rear. They will not last even in normal use. I still have my stock off road Bilsteins but I didn't want to ruin those too. I have 5100's on the front at stock height with stock springs. The Monroes had a firmer ride, not bad loaded but a little choppy empty. I am not knocking the Monroes at all. I mis-applied them and they broke.

Products Discussed in

To Top