1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

More Cooling!!!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by extremachn1, May 3, 2012.

1. Jun 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    I know you already skipped the lower radiator cap but just wanted to say you have to be careful doing that. If you go too low you can have check engine light issues in the winter if your temps do not get up to a "ready" status. If more than 2 systems do not report as ready within a given time frame you can throw a CEL

2. Jun 1, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Lower radiator cap? Not sure what your talking about. Do you mean a lower thermostat? Trust me, my truck will get up to temp. I was looking at the URD 170 degree thermo but they won't sell it individually and from talking with gadget it won't do anything to bring down my overall temp.

3. Jun 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I am going to switch grills, thats on the list of things to do here soon as well.

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Yes your right, typing and working at the same time :p

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I am sure a good cleaning of the outside of the radiator, replace my fan shroud, and the pusher fan will help keep the truck under control. There are a lot of bugs in my radiator stack right now and i am sure plenty of dirt too from the off road fun I have had.

6. Jun 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    OK, so I had to replace my radiator because like a dumb ass I punched a hole in it while taking my fan and fan shroud off. I had to go with an OEM style aftermarket radiator from a local shop because no on in AZ (not a single dealership in the whole state) had a stock radiator and it would have taken 2 days to get a new one in.

So before replacing the radiator and fan shroud I took a garden hose to my AC condenser and supercharger intercooler. The AC was a little dirty but didn't take much to clean out, the intercooler on the other hand was packed, took almost 30 minutes before it ran clear water through it. Looking at all 3 of them I noticed that the radiator and ac condenser you can see through, the intercooler you can not. It seems to have 2 offset cores and is much tighter packed. Because of that it seems to have clogged much easier and was not allowing much air to pass. This is a big deal because the intercooler blocks 80% of the AC condenser and radiator. All I did is put the garden hose on the gentle spray and put it really close to the radiators and spray until clean water ran through that section.

Once done with that I re-installed my new radiator and fan shroud/fan & fan clutch and topped off the system. It was 105 today down in Tucson so it was a good day to test it out. After about 30 minutes of stop and go traffic around town the temp never got above 189 and sat at 184-186 for 90% of the time. Then I jumped on the freeway with a nice hard acceleration and then sitting at 70-75 mph and the temp went up to 191-193 but still a totally manageable temp.

A little more testing needs to be done but for the most part I think my issues are taken care of, I am still looking at installing a pusher fan just for low speed offloading to help with the temps but I will no regularly clean my radiators after every off road trip.

Products Discussed in

To Top