1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

More EDR.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flyjbaker, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Nov 6, 2008 at 9:08 AM
    flyjbaker

flyjbaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was quite surprised to learn that these vehicles(I would assume most Toyotas now) have Electronic Data Recorders. I did a search of this site and did find some topics related to it. One of the underlying themes thru these threads are "....why would you want to disable it...do you plan on doing something stupid..." or things such as that. We will assume that most of us are on the up and up and we don't plan on doing anything stupid. The people that have the philosophy up there in quotes are a little ignorant of how our litigous society works. Let me give you a scenario:

You are cruising along doing the speed limit. You are coming up on a traffic light/intersection and the light is GREEN, it has been green and it is going to remain green. A drunk driver blows thru his red light and you T-bone him perfectly and he is killed. Toxicology reports show him as drunk and red light cameras show him as running the red light. Open and shut case....without an EDR...YES.....with EDR....not so fast!!!!

After the court subpoenas you to admit your EDR info, it is found that you were actually going 1.27486936749365769mph over the speed limit!!! This could be due to parallax angle from your eyes to the instrument....maybe you thinking that 1mph is "close enough for government work".....maybe your new oversized tires. Anyway, the lawyer for the plaintiff(in a civil case) or the ever so eager overzealous DA(criminal case) can now prove, had you been going 1mph SLOWER, that the deceased would still be alive. Now you maybe be liable for damages(civil) or may be going to jail for vehicular homicide(criminal).

The above scenario is not too far fetched in this day and age. I fly for a living and have this stuff(CVRs and FDRs) watching me all through my working life. I sure don't want it in my personal life. Anyway, I guess this is a rant because I kept hearing people on those searched threads echoing the same high horse bullshit of..."...are you planning on doing somoething stupid???.....driving is privilege...not a right...."......blah blah blah!

Okay, rant off.:)

2. Nov 6, 2008 at 9:19 AM
    TSUNAMI*22

TSUNAMI*22 Obama can suck-it

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Standard Cab / White / 2.7 I4
    ScanGuage 2 equipped. Toyota DIY aftermarket Cruise Control mod

Hello, mr. fellow anal pilot. I'm just as anal. :)

It's a pilot thing.

3. Nov 6, 2008 at 9:24 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Finally someone that was capable conveying a message peacefully and tactfully. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top