1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

more power

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by michigantacoowner, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jul 26, 2010 at 4:59 AM
    michigantacoowner

michigantacoowner [OP] Member

Member:
    SouthEast Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4 x 4
    Jason truck cap trailer two brake Excalibur remote car starter
    I have seen a few thread before about increasing horsepower, but I thought I throw it out and see if there is anything new out there. I recently pulled my ~4,000lb camper from MI to Washington DC. I was really disappointed with the power in the hills and the plummet in gas mileage. I got 8.4 MPG in the hills of PA. The truck is a 2010 DC 4x4 with 14,000 miles on it. I tow in 4th gear due to no towing feature.
    Any thoughts on increasing HP? Improving MPG while towing?

2. Jul 26, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    Not really man, I think your best bet at real HP is gonna be a supercharger. Good luck though, I recently ran across the same problem towing my boat and now gotta upgrade to a Tundra.

3. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Supercharger will help, but 8cyl is better.

4. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    YotaDude01

YotaDude01 Kentucky Boy

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01' TRD off-road
    if your pulling something large you either need the towing options like trans cooler etc.. or you might need to upgrade to the larger tundra.

5. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    How much weight were you pulling? Also x2... tow package with transmission cooler or no? Towing high loads without it is very bad for the transmission without a temp cooler...

I towed about 3500+/- lbs with my prerunner (trd off-road with TSB AAL) over Grants pass (6% grade, steepest and highest interstate pass in the u.s.) and was blowing by people doing about 75 without even breaking a sweat. Also pulled about 11.5-12mpg's that run. In lower cali on 95 I was pulling 16mpg from Sacramento to Bakersfield...

It all depends what you're towing, if you're staying in the vehicles optimal raiting or not.

As for more power... boosted or bust. You can gain minimal power with some basics like DT Long tube headers, exhaust, high flow filter (only talking maybe 10-15hp's on the dyno here). Boosted is all you're gunna get for real numbers though (supercharged, turbo... whatever floats your boat).

Products Discussed in

To Top