1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycle Carrier Concerns

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by rwilsond, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Jun 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM
    rwilsond

rwilsond [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Owns 2008 V6 Dbl-Cab, Short-Bed PreRunner
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Tacoma Double-Cab V6 Auto-5-speed, short-bed, with a factory tow-package (Class IV). I would like to use a motorcycle carrier supported solely from the hitch. But one of the large manufacturers of these carriers tells me that I'm limited to only 280 pounds of carrying capacity (due to the "leverage"). Actually, it's not a limitation on the carrier itself, but on the truck. The carrier manufacturer states that their carriers would place too much torque on my truck, via the hitch. My bike weighs 350 pounds dry; but I would like to carry a 550-pound bike occasionally.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this, or data to the contrary?

2. Jun 25, 2008 at 12:18 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    what they're saying is definitely a valid concern. I don't know about the actual numbers though.

There are other options though. if you don't have to go far, you can let the rear wheel roll with a product like this http://www.motorcycletrailer.com/mag1/caddy1.html but I would rather use a dedicated motorcycle trailer.

3. Aug 7, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    falco

falco Member

Member:
  4. Aug 7, 2008 at 7:02 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You've got the TSB- But do you have the tow package??
    You need the Class IV hitch-cause that'll give you the tounge weight capacity -
    And I'm going to guess that isn't a light piece of gear.

5. Aug 8, 2008 at 1:24 PM
    falco

falco Member

Member:
    I have a 4 banger with factory tow package installed. Is the tongue weight the same for the 4 and 6 cylinder?

6. Aug 8, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Not sure- but in your Owners Manual there should be a section out GVWRs and tow capacity and what not- Take a look in there for what you can handle.

I'd imagine it's prolly about 600lbs (roughly 10% of your max weight rating)
    - but I'm not sure.

Products Discussed in

To Top