1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycle Carrier

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rwilsond, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Jun 23, 2008 at 8:16 PM
    rwilsond

rwilsond [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Owns 2008 V6 Dbl-Cab, Short-Bed PreRunner
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Tacoma Double-Cab V6 Auto-5-speed, short-bed, with factory tow-package (Class IV). I would like to use a motorcycle carrier supported solely from the hitch. But one of the large manufacturers of these carriers tells me that I'm limited to 280 pounds of carrying capacity (due to the leverage).

Does anyone have any data to the contrary?

2. Jun 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM
    ricepow

ricepow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport

Hey man, I know this doesn't really answer your question but you may want to check out my post from yesterday. I am going to be getting one of the motorcycle racks from usrack.com. I just emailed them today and apparently they are making the unit even stronger. Check out the pics that Oldcow posted of his setup. Pretty nice and will probably cost close to a hitch carrier.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/10486-hauling-dirt-bikes-double-cab-short-bed.html

3. Jun 24, 2008 at 12:05 AM
    gOnedrivIng

gOnedrivIng Member

Member:
  4. Jun 24, 2008 at 5:12 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    How big of a bike are you carrying? I used to throw my CRF in the bed of my short bed no problem.

5. Jun 24, 2008 at 8:08 AM
    rwilsond

rwilsond [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Owns 2008 V6 Dbl-Cab, Short-Bed PreRunner
    N/A
    Actually, it's not a limitation on the carrier itself, but on the truck. The carrier manufacturer states that their carriers would place too much torque on my truck, via the hitch. Obviously, the closer the carrier is located to the truck, the better, as far as that goes - so as to reduce the lever-effect on the truck & hitch. So, for example, if a particular carrier is rated at 600 pounds, and a 550-pound bike is placed upon it, then the torque on the truck & hitch could exceed the ability of the truck to support such a torque (e.g., at the point of attachment of the hitch to the truck's frame). BTW, my bike weighs 350 pounds dry; but I would like to carry a 550-pound bike occasionally.

Products Discussed in

To Top