1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycle HID Problem - Capacitor?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ThunderOne, May 6, 2020.

1. May 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    has anyone put an HID kit into their bikes? I just did and used a proper relay which has a direct battery connection, but I still get a very short on/off flicker when I do anything after a couple of minutes, like flip on the high beams, use a turn signal, etc. Do I need to get one of those anti-flicker capacitors now?

I just went through all the headache of redoing the wiring on the HID relay harness I got because all of the wire lengths were wrong.

I can only guess that there is a slight dip in voltage in the existing headlight wires whenever I do anything else with other lights (except my brakes). It appears that my high/low/turn signal bulbs all share a common ground wire (yikes Suzuki)

2. May 6, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Is this a new bulb/ballast setup? Brand?

3. May 6, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Factory stuff was halogen. This is Morimoto relay harness + acme speedy start ballast (some kinda TRS brand) and a bulb I got from Diode Dynamics (I ordered from DD because they seemed to have halfway decent quality 3000k h7 bulbs)

4. May 6, 2020 at 6:24 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Do you have spares you can swap in to see if it is component related?

5. May 6, 2020 at 8:57 PM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    I could try swapping the ballast, but considering the power cut happens when I do random things on the bike, I'm thinking there is some odd shit going on with the bike itself. I emailed TRS to see if they had any ideas, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I just emailed them this evening.

6. May 8, 2020 at 2:47 PM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    I swapped the ballast and also directly connected the ballast to the headlight plug, and the same behavior was still happening. So it's definitely something with the bike. TRS is suggesting a canbus system that plugs into the factory headlight plug, but I don't trust the factory headlight plug at all (keeps melting even using regular H7 bulbs) and I'd rather use a relay. Also my bike is an 06 so I don't think it uses anything fancy that would need a canbus system. I'm going to try the capacitor and wire it into the relay signal + wire just to see if that fixes it.

7. May 12, 2020 at 12:53 PM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    capacitor didn't work.. I may try to add a delay on/off timer to the relay to it and see if that masks the problem. The current relay has a 5 second delay on, which works fine, but I need a delay off too apparently.

8. May 19, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    I ended up fixing it with one of these:
    http://timers.shop/6V-28V-10-Amp-Timer-Wi-Fi-configurable-via-phone_p_44.html

I wired the relay directly to the battery, the trigger was the headlight wire going in and going out to the relay trigger wire. So when there is a momentary drop in voltage on the headlight wire, the time delay relay will stay on unless there is no voltage coming from the headlight wire for more than a second. This tricks the relay signal wire into staying "on" whenever I switch on my high beams or whatever. My LED corner lights still blink since they are not used in this circuit but I don't care about those, even though they are supposedly canbus, being configured this way doesn't seem to make a bit of a difference.

I also added a 5 second delay before the HID's turn on as well, so that on top of the standard 5 second time delay on the Morimoto relay gives me 10 seconds to diddle around before I actually have to start my bike.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  9. May 20, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    or not. light still blinks after the fan kicks on if I'm not revving it. seems like a weird voltage drop. Maybe my battery is on its way out

10. May 29, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    No such issues with LED I just installed (GTR Ultra 2). At least it's not noticeable. My guess is the LED has less power draw and it can also run at a lower voltage so any voltage drops don't affect the LED.

Products Discussed in

To Top