1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mountain Bike Trip to Vermont.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by meafordmike, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Nov 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    meafordmike

meafordmike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4/ 4Dr 6 speed, Sport/ Towing
    Devil Horns, Wet Okoles, WeatherTechs, Radflo Coilovers, OME Dakar's, FJC Gun metal rims, 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA/KO, Rear Diff breather Mod,
    Last week I returned from a week bike trip to the Eastern US. My trip goal was to load up the Tacoma and drive to Kingdom Trails in East Burke Vermont and mountain bike for a few days, sleeping in my truck on my new sleeping platform I made and eating mostly rations and things I could make to keep cost down.
    Unfortunately I am unable (not qualified) to post photos as most of you do with statements between photos, but I will send pics regardless.
    I departed Meaford, Ontario Oct 26 for Fort Drum N.Y, which took about 6 hrs, after a lovely, if not boring night on base I departed next morning at 0500hrs for Tahawus, N.Y a Ghost town in the Adirondacks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahawus,_New_York.
    After walking a few short trails and eating lunch at Tahawus I departed for Stowe VT. (I really had no plan and flipped a coin to go to Lake Placid NY or Stowe VT) I arrived in Stowe in time for an evening 11mile/18km bike ride. After checking the Stowe out and asking around I figured I would sleep in the truck at the trailhead for the town rec path, right behind town hall, I had a great night sleep. The next day biked around Stowe on the Rec trail 18 km and then some single track in the mountains having a great time. I then departed Stowe for the Kingdom Trails in East Burke, VT. I had read so much about the 100 miles of single track biking and was really looking forward to this. I spent the next two days biking the kingdom trails which were great, it cost 10$ for a trail pass but its $ well spent by very well marked and looked after trails. I got a camp site one night while in East Burke and after driving up the Mountain to the site and realizing that no one was anywhere near this place had a shower and headed Back into town to “The Pub Outback”. Great food and the beer was going down great. Between my two beer and still drive and three beer and don’t drive the bartender asked me if I wanted another beer? I asked him if I could keep my truck in the parking lot over night. And yes I had more beer and slept in the parking lot for the night. After a full day of biking on Thursday the 29 I started heading back west. I stopped in Burlington VT for supper at an Uncles then continued on to Lake Placid that night. I stopped in Lake Placid and was looking for a place to stay (park) but ended up continuing west towards Fort Drum. I should have stay the night in Lake Placid to run a few bike trails the next day but oh well, I was heading home so I could walk my kids around for Halloween.
    I had a great time and spent less then 300$ US for a week bike trip including gas and all and am already planning a return trip. I will make out to Moab someday for a similar trip.
    Thanks all the help in the planning of this including SimonsMom.

100_0468.jpg
    100_0478.jpg
    100_0484.jpg
    100_0491.jpg
    100_0498.jpg
    100_0516.jpg
    100_0537.jpg
    100_0551.jpg
    100_0578.jpg
    100_0586.jpg

2. Nov 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    meafordmike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    Devil Horns, Wet Okoles, WeatherTechs, Radflo Coilovers, OME Dakar's, FJC Gun metal rims, 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA/KO, Rear Diff breather Mod,
    More Photo's

100_0540.jpg
    100_0557.jpg
    100_0599.jpg
    100_0603.jpg
    100_0609.jpg

3. Nov 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Looks like a fun time. Looks like you found the scene of the next paranormal activity. lol

4. Nov 9, 2009 at 4:37 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Awesome photos & trip report! It sounds like you had a great time! I especially liked the story about the PubOB ...pretty soon their parking lots will be overflowing with sleds.

5. Nov 9, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    Awesome trip. Next time you come to VT, drop a line. Kingdom Trails are the best, but you should also check out Millstone Hill Trails (near Barre/Montpelier). 70ish miles of trails, mostly around old granite quarries and forested ridges. http://millstonetrails.com/directions/

6. Nov 9, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    magneticnick

magneticnick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Orange, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab TRD Sport
    None Yet
    Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing, nice pics too! I would love to do something like that one day.

7. Nov 9, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    ramjm_2000

ramjm_2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVa (Alexandria VA)
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DoubleCab BSP
    5100's Rear TSB Dominator slider/step bars Eclipse AVN 2210 Nav/XM Leather Upgrade TRD Skid Century Royal Sheel Armor Tech Custom Rear Bumper
    Sounds like an awsome trip. Can't wait for my kids to get a bit older so I can justify being gone for an all weekend ride. Jealous!

8. Nov 9, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    meafordmike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the comments.
    It was a great trip!

9. Nov 9, 2009 at 2:05 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    Thank you for comming to Vt ya should have stayed longer!

Products Discussed in

To Top