1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mounting 31.5 Tires on my 2001 2.4 5-Lug

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Adominguez24, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Feb 17, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    Adominguez24

Adominguez24 [OP] Adrian

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma 2.4l Step-Side
    Cooper Discoverer A/T on 15x8 Trailmaster wheels, Pioneer Deck, Kicker Speakers, Rockville 12" Sub, Limo Tint
    I'm interested in adding that to my truck as well. Any tips?

Das it mang[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Feb 17, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    Das it mang

Das it mang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Az
    Vehicle:
    1996 T100 SR5 MT
    Stock again- rip slug

TBH I did mine the most time consuming and prolly worst way possible and it still worked; so I wouldn't worry on ur own end for messing it up haha. The MAIN thing u want to watch for is going too big on the hole for ur air box in comparison to the deck plate.

With mine, I got a 4 inch diameter plate off Amazon. I took a sharpie and outlined the diameter of the plate onto my air box. Took a drill and put a bit on the tip, and used the drill like a make-shift saw-zall cutting the hole around the line I made. I took the plate and would re check fitting after each adjustment to make sure I didn't cut too much. Sanded down the burrs and took some blue rtv silicone and goop generously around the seams to make sure they're sealed if/when u have to put the deck plate back on. Most people will buy the drill attachment with the 3-4 in diameter hole punch and use that. I'd recommend that unless ur funds are tight, bc my way took a half a day to do haha.

I haven't mudded heavy or sunk my 5 lug so I only have had to put the deck plate back on during trailing to avoid excess dust being sucked in. During heavy rain the air box stays dry too, don't have to cap it during rain storms as an fyi.

I can definitely notice the response difference with the plate; make sure if u put the cap on or off it change the air intake flow; so pull the efi fuse to let the engine relearn the new air intake flow when u change the plate on/off

3. Feb 17, 2020 at 12:07 PM
    Das it mang

Das it mang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Az
    Vehicle:
    1996 T100 SR5 MT
    Stock again- rip slug
    silicone took a couple hours to cure and I've drove my truck since without issues. Just be mindful about when to cap it again

Adominguez24[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top