1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

moving shock mounts on first gen

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Hermit, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Jul 25, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    Hermit

Hermit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD ext cab
    not much yet, soon to come
    Wanted to discuss moving my rear shock mounts - but I don't want to pester DSM - they are busy enough (I am getting my CO's and rr shocks from them).

Im building a mid-travel set up that emphasizes heavy haul, long distance four wheeling (sort of poor mans expeditioning).

Anyway, the new Deaver custom rear springs will give 2" of lift and be a bit stiff. I'm installing a U-bolt flip kit, with integrated soft Timbrens.The flip kit requires moving the shock mounts.

Things I'm thinking might be true:
    1 - Im guessing the travel won't be changed all that much since the leaf springs are stock length? basically true?
    2 - If the truck sits 2 to 2.5" taller then I would be able to maintain the "engineered" operation by simply rotating the mounts around the axle tubes, so the new mounts are located 2" higher than stock? about right?
    3 - Im thinking the Toyota engineering is good, so trying to keep the suspension arrangement close to stock is a good idea? Aye?

Anybody have experience to suggest that I can relocate the mounts to "improve" how the suspension works? Hoping to use the Fox adjustable rr shocks, if there is a length that maximizes what travel I have available (expect I'll do the measure real travel of new springs - "then" buy shocks after method).

Just wondering if my thinking is lining up with people's experience? Really just wanting to chat a bit about suspension mods.

thanks... Don

Products Discussed in

To Top