1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Tacoma - someday...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by MacTak, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Oct 30, 2008 at 10:38 AM
    MacTak

MacTak [OP] Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Chevy
    Ok, I just found this site while searching for general information on Tacomas. I have a 5.7 L '96 Chevy 1500 extended cab long bed, and a '93 Dakota 3.9 L V6. Dakota has only had one minor transmission problem since I got it in 1997, but the Chevy is presently in the transmission shop for a rebuild. $750 fuel pump on Chevy in spring, a/c problems, etc. I am done with Chevrolets I think, and my next truck will probably be a Tacoma.

I tow a small boat and a 5,000 lb travel trailer, so need the towing package. I also do not buy new, but now need to drive the money out of the Chevy before I get a Tacoma, hopefully in about two years (I move very slow when spending my $!). I would buy now, but better wait.

Here's what I want:

1. Four door cab
    2. V6, manual transmission, towing package
    3. Two wheel drive will do (but wouldn't mind 4WD)
    4. 2006 and up model - wish I could get leather seats! No option, right?

All you have to do is check out the various truck forums online, and I think you can get a fair idea of a truck's reliability. My Dakota has been incredibly solid, but would not get a newer one. I'm done with Chevy... don't like Ford or Nissan... So, that leaves Toyota, and I think the Tundras are ugly! Plus, Chevys even get better gas mileage, of which I cannot complain with my '96. Fuel economy and comfort are two areas I like about the Chevy. I get over 13 mpg pulling the trailer, and almost 20 mpg on trips. Not bad for a 350 V8 long bed truck.

Anyway, I'll keep checking out this site to see what y'all boys (and gals) are saying problem-wise mainly with your Tacomas... So far, I think I have learned that the '05s have some problems (that on the Edmund's site), and '07s seem to be the most problem free for now... Thanks!

2. Oct 31, 2008 at 4:30 AM
    MacTak

MacTak [OP] Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Chevy
    Wha'? No welcomes... I'll just take my truck and go home then....

3. Oct 31, 2008 at 4:38 AM
    Evans381

Evans381 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Rome, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Toytec ultimate coilovers. 5% Window tint. 40% windshield. Kenwood DDX372BT Monitor. JL Audio 12w0v3 subwoofer set in ported Q-Bomb box. 20" Gear Alloy Recoil wheels wrapped in Cooper Zeon LTZ tires
    What do you think about mine?

untitled.jpg

4. Oct 31, 2008 at 6:46 AM
    MacTak

MacTak [OP] Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Chevy
    Evans, nice truck! You are about 200 miles from me, near Augusta. Your Tacoma looks just like what I want, even the color - going white, if possible buying used. If the CFO allows, I might just get a new one, though unlikely.

5. Oct 31, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    Evans381

Evans381 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Rome, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Toytec ultimate coilovers. 5% Window tint. 40% windshield. Kenwood DDX372BT Monitor. JL Audio 12w0v3 subwoofer set in ported Q-Bomb box. 20" Gear Alloy Recoil wheels wrapped in Cooper Zeon LTZ tires
  6. Oct 31, 2008 at 9:34 AM
    Radelix

Radelix Runs with Scissors

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    17 trdor dcsb 6mt
    welcome both of you, its halloween, people may be distracted

Products Discussed in

To Top