1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mud in Alternator?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dysfunctnlretard, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Oct 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I went mudding last week and have since experienced an undescribeable noise. The sound reminds me of a pulley trying to move put experiencing trouble doing so due to friction from the rod or something. In any case, I checked out my truck and the noise is coming from the drivers side, and it sounds like its coming from the alternator but Im not sure. Someone else mentioned that they once had mud on their tensioner pulley and it caused a noise as well. My pulleys seem to be fine but what do I know. My question is:
    If there is mud in my alternator (or dried up dirt by now) what are the long term effects? And what can I do to make sure my tensioner pulley is not experiencing the mud problem? (Im guessing the mud on the pulleys would be in between the pulley and whatever it attaches to, not the pulley and belt)

2. Oct 19, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Mud is evil.....

It can ruin every bearing that exists on your truck.

You just have to find out where or what (or if) it's a bearing. I'm guessing its a bearing somewhere.

On my 96 tacoma...I've had the A/C idler bearing go bad and the alternator bearings go bad due to mud/water.

If you take off your belt - and start feeling around at every pulley. Spin every one by hand and if you feel any rough spots in the bearings, then you can almost assume that bearing is going to fail and needs replaced.

If you have a battery & alternator shop near you -you can take the alternator in and they can change the bearings & clean out the entire alternator for you (check/clean brushes too). A dirty alternator won't work as effectively.

3. Oct 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Thats not what I wanted to hear. LOL. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top