1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mud terrain poll

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by trailinTaco, Dec 31, 2011.

?

What mud terrain would you pick

Poll closed Jan 30, 2012.
  1. BFG mud terrain km2

97 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Nitto trail grappler

27 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. GY wrangler mtr

13 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. General grabber red letter

7 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Other

40 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. Dec 31, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    trailinTaco

trailinTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bel Air, MD
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4x4
    3 inch suspension lift, 33 inch bfgoodrich mud terrain tires, toytech diff drop, Procomp alloy wheels, hella fog lights, black projector headlights with 8000k HID's, blacked out tail lights, two 12 inch subs, 20% tint, pioneer head unit and speakers
    I'm in the search to buy new tires and I don't know what ones would be the best. I'm looking for mud terrains. What do you like and what gets pretty good mileage? The km2's were originally what I want cause I like my km1's but I could get something else. Also really like the nitto trail grapplers.

2. Dec 31, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
  3. Dec 31, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    The KM2's are awesome from what I hear. I have the cooper discoverer stt's and they do really well except they are fairly loud when they get low on the tread but other than that they are a great tire.

4. Dec 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    oneBIGroom

oneBIGroom SSS

Member:
    First Name:
    SSS
    SSS
    Vehicle:
    SSS
    SSS
    Pretty sure they're not good on mileage, but I saw some SuperSwamper Boggers for the first time in person and they're crazy :goingcrazy:

5. Dec 31, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
  6. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    ruler1

ruler1 stump thumper

Member:
    palmetto fl
    Vehicle:
    97 2.7 4x4 5speed
    header, k&n intake, ome coils, springs and struts,diff drop, Urd simulator, dynomax exhaust, slotted roters, bpv relocater
    There is a better nitto option. They have trail grapplers. They are in between the mud tread and all terrain. The nitto mud tires wear out way to fast on a f250 I'm not sure how they perform on much lighter trucks. The trail grapplers have the look of a mud tire without the noise, ride, or horrible tread ware. I have buckshot mud tires on mine. They came on the truck and I just got it. Noisy and bumpy but I like the word buckshot so it evens out.:D

Edit: the poll says trail grappler not terra grapplers aka all terrains. Get a set of those. Lol

7. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    my latest issue of Jp magazine (March 2012) just did a write up on 27 different tires, everything from bfg at and km2, to dick cepek crushers and mud country, falken wildpeaks, general grabbers, goodyear duratracs, silent armors and mtr kevlars, maxxis creepy crawlers and trepadors, mickey thompson mtz and claws, nitto mud and trail grapplers, procomp mt's, xterrains and xtreme mt's, and of course super swampers. you might want to pick up a copy for yourself and read those reviews (i think you might be able to find it online as well), as the editors drive thousands of miles in every type of terrain on each tire.

my favorite mt tire of the bunch (for a dd), has to be the mickey thompson mtz - here is the review of that tire:

Among mud terrain tires, the MT MTZ is a versatile performer in the dirt. On-road, the pattern is louder than expected but still very comfortable in terms of ride quality. Like most MT designs, the MTZ includes sidebiters that extend part-way down the sidewall. The thick, siped tread blocks provide exceptional grip in the rocks and we've found their performance in the mud to be outstanding as well. When negotiating thick slop, the MTZ's didn't require alot of throttle application to clean out and pull willingly. Overall, the MTZ might not get a top score in any one terrain type, but they do everything better than average. If you don't like compromising performance, the MT MTZ may be the tire for you. We recommend them to friends all the time.

score: street 3/4, sand 3/4, mud 3/4, heavy rock 3/4, snow 3/4, ice 3/4

and just because a few folks have mentioned the km2, here is their review of that tire:

The M-T KM2 is often referred to as the working man's Krawler. Sharing the Krawler's broad, blocky tread elements, but on a condensed scale, the KM2 is a winner in almost every terrain type our editors could find. The only exception was ice-covered roads and side-hilling in snow. On icy roads the lack of siping caused the tires to spin excessively and required a lot of driver effort to slow the vehicle down. We've had a few experiences that make us wonder about the puncture resistance of the sidewalls , but for the most part this tread receives regular recommendations from our staff. The noise level that this tire produces on the highway is quite noticeable, but no more than many of the other mud terrains we'v tested. With 3 plies in the sidewall and another 3 in the makeup of the carcass, this tire is one of the lightest mud terrains available today.

score: street 3/4, sand 4/4, mud 3/4, heavy rock 4/4, snow 3/4, ice 2/4

if anyone would like me to copy any of the other reviews (within reason, i'm not going to copy everything, go buy the issue!), feel free and i'll try to accomodate. thanks.

8. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    jackhart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    i ran bighorns on my jeep, LOVED them, at least for the first 15K miles. after that they began to wear pretty fast. if they had lasted a little longer i would have bought another set without question.

9. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    jackhart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    just noticed the OP was considering nitto trail grapplers (how come not the mud grappler??). so here is one more review from Jp on that tire, hope this is helpful:

The Trail Grappler works well in the sand and dirt, assuming you can get past the stiff carcass and portly rotating mass. Mud doesn't phase this tire. However, traction in the snow...falls short. On rocks, we prefer to have a carcass with more flexibility. Nitto generally does a good job of making sure a tire is round and well balanced, and the Trail Grappler is no exception. In the snow, they perform on par with others in the segment, but in ice they excel. On the road these tires are much quieter than we expected and thanks to the two separate sidewall designs, the visual appearance of the tire is selectable. If you need a puncture resistant tire, the Trail Grappler is about as close as you can get to a bias ply sidewall in terms of strength. The real beauty of this tread is its mild on road manners and well rounded performance across the board.

Score: Street 3/4. sand 3/4, mud 4/4, heavy rock 3/4, snow 2/4, ice 4/4

10. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    cooper stt

11. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    precoma

precoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Lake Arrowhead, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 trd sport
    Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel, Defined SUA
    Can you put up the review for the general grabbers please

12. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    Km2s! I have them and I drive 75% on the highway and they do really well and not loud at all, off road ... Love em !

13. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    precoma

precoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Lake Arrowhead, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 trd sport
    Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel, Defined SUA
    I was talking about the red lettered race tire look alikes they are the opposite of cheap that's why I haven't gotten them yet lol and I heard they don't do that well in the snow and ice

14. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    :cheers:

15. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    Considering duratrac's...would appreciate you posting the editor's review of those! Good luck with your choice OP!

16. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    megawisdumb

megawisdumb Active Member

Member:
    Montevallo
    Vehicle:
    01 Reg Cab 4x4 & 03 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    I've got DuraTracs on both my tacos and you cant beat the price vs performance vs noise issue.

17. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    jackhart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    general grabber

Our testing concluded that the overbuilt 7 ply carcass would take on anything nature could dish out, and keep returning traction free of punctures, tears, or deep gouging. On the street, the Grabber is heavy and robs power, but inspires confidence on rain slick pavement thanks to long angled grooves that channel water to the outside of the pattern. When aired down, the sipe free tread blocks left us wanting more bite when compared to others in this segment. Additionally, the pattern returned less than desirable results in icy conditions, which is to be expected from a tire with an emphasis on desert performance. Overall the Grabber has proven itself among the elite desert racers as a formidable competitor to other tires in the segment. We recommend the Grabber for the go fast [offroader] who doesn't mind a heavy tire that howls.

Score: street 3/4 sand 3/4 mud 4/4 heavy rock 4/4 snow 3/4 ice 2/4

18. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    jackhart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    GY Duratrac

One of the most aggressive all terrain tires we've seen from GY, we think the Duratrac blurs the lines between an all terrain and mud terrain. As such, our staffers subjected the tire to a whole assortment of surfaces including rocks, sand, snow, mud, and ice. The pattern stood up to heavy rains and ice covered asphalt, and returned a quieter than average road noise. In conclusion, the tread scores highest in snow and ice traction - probably because of the plethora of multi angle siping on every lug. However, the pattern also proved worthy of mud, sand and rock. Just don't get too deep into rocks with sharp edges as the compound will chip and cut easily and the 2 ply sidewalls are more vulnerable than you might expect. For a daily driven weekend warrior, these tires are a great choice.

Score: street 3/4 sand 3/4 mud 3/4 heavy rock 3/4 snow 4/4 ice 4/4

19. Dec 31, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    ILikeTacosToo

ILikeTacosToo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD Off Road
    ARB front locker, alpine nav, image dynamics i5800, Polk audio front rear and subs, TOYTEC 3 inch coilovers wiht AAL, awesomest driver ever!
    I just got some Definity Dakota M/T's and they look great and ride very well on the highway. Taking them out for the off road test monday, will let you know. The price is fantastic and they have a 40K tread life warranty. not too many M/T's have tread warranty (that I know of)

20. Dec 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    ratso

ratso Well-Known Member

Member:
    northern ca2
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    Camburg coilovers,ARB, warn 9000,avic d3,KN cold air,poweraid, optima yellow top,line x

Products Discussed in

To Top