1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 2000 Tacoma won't start

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Dvnkrause, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Dec 16, 2016 at 10:08 PM
    Dvnkrause

Dvnkrause [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma
    I have recently replaced my battery and posts but I get in the car after leaving the store and it clicks but won't start it won't take a jump either there's corrosion on the terminals

2. Dec 16, 2016 at 10:15 PM
    TTT

TTT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Los Gatos, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Fox 2.0 w/reservoir, 17" Fuel Vapors, RCI skids, Pelfreybilt bumper, BAMF sliders
    Pour some soda (Pepsi, etc) on the corroded terminals, to melt the corrosion off. Check that the terminals are still tight, and try and jump it again.

because_wumbo-truck likes this.
  3. Dec 16, 2016 at 11:41 PM
    Tac0maSteve

Tac0maSteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off Road Icon Ext. Travel
    DCSB... No mods here
    A Tacoma wont start?!! Crazy.

You could also try baking soda and water to clean the corrosion. How recently did you replace the battery?

4. Dec 16, 2016 at 11:57 PM
    greyzland

greyzland Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    California
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Running Board Roof Rack Bed Extender
    If it won't take a jump, then your battery must be completely dead...so dead it won't even take a jump.....it happened to me.....I had 2 incidents..I went to Pep Boys..... after inquiring, they are selling me the battery for $115...I ask if they could install it as part of the service in the purchase of the new battery as O' Reilly and AutoZone offers it as part of the the purchase for free...Pep Boys manager referred me to their service department and the guy at the service service dept said they are a separate company so I have to pay for the installation and have to wait as the wait is 2 hours......I still have to go to work, so I asked the manager of PepBoys if I could borrow some open wrenches and I will change the battery myself as I have to work.... the manager offered to loan me a pathetic pair of pliers, so I ended up buying an open wrench and a pair of pliers and changed the battery myself..... I told those people in Pep Boys, this will be the last time I will set foot in their store for their pathetic services, and i will never recommend their store to friends....I hope readers will learn my experience from this pathetic Pep Boys store and their branches.....

5. Dec 17, 2016 at 2:40 AM
    Dvnkrause

Dvnkrause [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma
    Thank you. My truck is currently in the parking lot of Marshalls and office max concerned about it being towed I ubered a ride knowing since I have brand new jumper cables and the battery including the posts or whatever they are called. (My ex replaced) only 3wks ago. He did mention the posts came out completely when he was trying to remove the battery. Which another individual mentioned it must've been really hot. So having the help of absolutely no one except the driver from uber who happened to be on the clock, I tried many times to jump the car the night ended with the security officer pointing out the fact that on the terminals and the bolt that holds the bracket holding the battery i n place should not be there its a NEW battery. Now I am playing mom and dad with a new job time is important especially with the officer mentioning in 5hrs from right now the possibility of the truck getting towed is high as he will be leaving his shift

6. Dec 17, 2016 at 3:45 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    If the terminals are corroded that bad of course trying to make a connection with jumper cables is not going to work.

Nor is your new battery able to start the truck

I would be glad to help if I was close

A shame when the battery was replaced things should have been cleaned

Best of luck

7. Dec 18, 2016 at 7:03 AM
    TTT

TTT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Los Gatos, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Fox 2.0 w/reservoir, 17" Fuel Vapors, RCI skids, Pelfreybilt bumper, BAMF sliders
    This is why I carry a bag of basic tools in my truck. Harbor freight has tools for cheap. Put together a basic tool set screwdrivers, open end wrenches, socket set, pliers, crescent, hammer, knife..throw it all in one of their $15 tool bags. You can throw together a decent set for under $100, or just a basic set for under $50.

8. Dec 18, 2016 at 1:48 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    All the tools in the world are not a help if you have no idea what your looking at.

9. Jan 13, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    Turkeyman

Turkeyman Member

Member:
    I used to have a 99 TR D off-road. I had an issue with it like that one time and it was because the positive terminal on the starter was corroded. Loosen that up clean it and put it back it should be OK

10. Jan 13, 2017 at 2:42 PM
    Frkypunk

Frkypunk "Death is what you make of it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Woods of P.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra limited,2015 Highlander limited, Prius(commuter)
    Got the gas mileage down to 13mpg! Modification complete
    Are your headlights bright? ,and dome light...if so it could be the starter cylanoid. Nine time out of ten though, it's a bad connection or bad battery.

Products Discussed in

To Top