1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 2007 has frame rust!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BlueT, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Thanks for this tip, are they up in Westford?

Sorry to the OP for the news, my shocks, undercarriage looks terrible too....more than likely will rot like the rest of them.

2. Oct 7, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    AWESOME color choice! New generation or antique green?

3. Oct 8, 2009 at 1:35 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Sorry to the op. But im glad i bought some Chassis Saver and wash out my frame,crossmembers ect. alot. i have little to no rust and will be coating my frame here in the next 2 weeks. :D

4. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:20 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I went with something that looks similar.

http://www.carwell.com/

5. Mar 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    TacomaNC

TacomaNC Active Member

Member:
    NC
    borla exhaust tintind windows
    dont look that bad

6. Mar 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    :goingcrazy:

Thanks for digging this little gem up lol

7. Mar 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    UNDERCOAT!!!!!

8. Mar 8, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    Blackbear

Blackbear Hardtooree Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blk SR5 2.7 4X4 5 spd ACab
    (DIY)...Fog lights, alloys, wheelwell liners, tonneau, frame cleanup & rustproofing, floor mats, trailer hitch.
    Rust ate my last Tacoma (1996) because I didn't pay attention and because Toyota frame steel is crappy. I bought my 2008 Taco a few months ago after doing the rust buyback program with Toyota. Other than rinsing down the undercarriage as weather allows, my plan is to 1.) wait for warm/dry weather, then 2.) wash/wipe down the undercarriage, sand or wirebrush any rust I can see/get to, treat the rust with spray-on rust converter, and prime and paint (Rustoleum) all parts I can get to. In November I'll then spray on or wipe down the frame and rockers with a home-made rustproofing potion to help keep winter salt at bay until I can do it all over again the following summer.

Annual rust prevention. It's the price one must pay for living in salt country and driving a Toyota truck.

9. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I know this thread is years old but I don't understand how some people let it get to this point. Why wouldn't you be under your truck inspecting at least every oil change?

10. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    BlueT

BlueT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    lety it get to this point? truck was 3 years old when I posted this. :notsure:
    After first winter it had nothing, second winter there was bunch of surface rust, third winter really pushed rust out.
    Its not like I waited 20 years.
    Truck is repainted now underneath and looks mint.

I do my own work not like you. When you do your first oil change post it in build up thread :D You can have that along wheeling the dirt road thread.:rolleyes:

11. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I understand your winters are much more harsh and I understand the paint on these things suck. I guess I just don't understand how you didn't catch it before it got so bad. I'm under my truck pretty damn frequently, at least every oil change. I'm also forever washing the underbody of the truck and frame (to remove mud, salt, etc...), and I get down on my knees and visually check out the frame. Seems like I'm always touching up some surface rust with a wire brush and some Rust Stop rattle can paint. 4 years and no pitting. If I wasn't under there so often I wouldn't have caught a missing nut on the bolt that holds the leaf pack to the front spring hanger. :D

I guess if your expectation is that you can let it go 3 years in harsh winter conditions the Tacoma will fall short. I also had in mind a frame I saw somewhere that looked REALLY eaten up, flaking. How do you not notice it before it gets to this point, ya know?

Seems like you wheel so I'd expect the same thing. Not trying to insult you...

12. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Having dealer done your work does not count as doing your own work. I have yet to see you providing any tech info in tech section apart from smart remarks and meaningless posts. If you have nothing to contribute then either read or go back to your x-runner thread.
    Again stop going to dirt roads and you will see how real trail looks like. :)
    Your ATRAC experience = 0 You went on the dry dirt road, read manual and suddenly become Traction expert. :rolleyes:
    :D Whats next you going to flex on curb at the mall and become suspension expert.

13. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  14. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Again thats very simple.
    First winter nothing
    Second winter surface rust
    Third winter bubbles.
    Here 4 months out of the the year you dont want to be under the truck, unless you enjoy laying down in snow/slush when its -4F to 25 F

And bubles show up by rusting underneath the paint. Can't see that until it's actually bad enough for paint to come off.
    BTW rustoleoum won't help here. frame needs primer with rust inhibitors first then paint that will seal it.
    Pieces that I painted in 2009 dont even have any surface rust.:headbang:

15. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    What are you mumbling about , my truck has lockers :D
    Oh and BTW TIS is around $1500 ;)

16. Mar 9, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    Blackbear

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    (DIY)...Fog lights, alloys, wheelwell liners, tonneau, frame cleanup & rustproofing, floor mats, trailer hitch.
    Guys, no need to get in wordfight here, we all have an opinion and everyone's entitled to one. Besides, it's a downer fightin' on the forum...kinda' dumps on the 'happyplace' aspect.

Around these parts there's no such thing as perfect rust control, even if you are good with maintenance. Unless you've been through one of these Northeast 'salt and sand the crap out of all roads' winters it's hard to understand just how nastily (and quickly) a frame and rockers can rust out, especially on Toyota trucks (I've had a few of them). Lots of folks don't buy their trucks new (like me), so they have a strike or two against them in the rust prevention department. One thing that we can probably all agree on is that keeping ahead of rust in a perfect rust environment isn't easy, and one-shot rustproofing (do it and forget it) just won't work here. Ya' gotta' stay on it every year.

BlueT, I hear ya' on the 'hard to wash a truck in a Northeast winter' message. The last time I did mine (2 weeks ago) I looked like a giant popsicle when done. Rolling around in wet slush snow and ice, with a running hose and 20 degree temps, sure ain't much fun!

Sidenote: Be careful about putting TOO thick a coat of paint on your frame since it may simply cover existing rust long enough for it to get REALLY bad, and bubbles are more likely to occur. Several thinner coats are better than one thick one, and I definately agree...cleaning the metal well and priming before applying the paint is the best way.

17. Mar 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    I have a powerwasher and have been running it under the truck every couple weeks this winter. After reading this I am going to spend some more time washing down the underside.

side note:
    I am really surprised that Toyota has known about issues with rust for the last 3 decades. A relative had an '85 SR5 4x4 and the whole bed rusted out on that after 5 years and more recently he turned another one in for rust. This rust thing is BS and we should expect to get 10 -15 years out of our vehicles without it turning into a rust bucket.

18. Mar 10, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I hear ya. If it does rust under thick paint then once it shows up I can always clean up and weld plate on the top.
    Plus I can safely say that none of the spray paints really work here. Must be that coating from factory. The only thing so far that had stopped rust from coming out is the primer+paint from Tractor Supply. Since I did that my frame is nice and black. And thats a second winter now so it looks like I am winning :D
    I think I missed few spots on the end of the frame (under the bed) but don't feel like pulling bed out to do painting. Maybe this year, if I have any time.

19. Mar 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    Blackbear

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    I may have to try that fancy tractor paint and primer. Then if I get the urge to plow out a corn field on the way to work I'll know it's workin'.

20. Mar 23, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    4 Banger

4 Banger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4
    I have the same problem on My 2007. The welds are rusting and scaling. Only 66K on it. I have mine at the dealership now so they can look at it. doubt they will do anything now, but at least if there is a recall it will be documented.

Products Discussed in

To Top