1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my '97 Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ngrysen713, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Apr 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    ngrysen713

ngrysen713 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Hudsonville, MI
    First of all, thanks to everyone that aids in the information on this site, as it helped convince me to purchase my first Tacoma! ('97 2.7L tacoma, reg. cab, 4x4, 5-speed)

To skip a lot of details, I bought the truck and it took a crap on me not long after. First of all, I have minimal car knowledge and wanted something that was going to last me awhile with few problems other than normal maintenance. Unfortunately, I must have bought the wrong one.

Again, skipping some details, we hoped it was just the head gasket. Opening the valve cover, we notice the engine has been neglected, and has a nice, nice amount of sludge buildup. We did not find anything too convincing until we got to the head gasket, which we (for lack of a better word, my mechanically inclined friends) determined it would need a new head gasket at least.

Now for the question, what do you all recommend for the replacement? I am a member of other unrelated forums, so I understand the "search" function of the site, but was unable to find specifics as to what exactly I should get and possibly where from. Should I get a standard Toyota replacement? What would you do?

In addition, I'm getting the block all cleaned up and having it checked to make sure it isn't cracked and get it machined incase it is warped. What is the most effective cleaning method? I heard break fluid, a rag, and some elbow grease, but thought I would see what other people have done.

Feel free to ask for any more details if they are needed to make an informed recommendation!

Also, I apologize if this isn't in the right thread...Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top