1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My bad, another ?...lens cleaner/polish...?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 45longcolt, May 13, 2008.

1. May 13, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    What would you use to clean and polish our headlamp lenses? I do not have one of those fancy orbital buffer tools so speaking from doing this by hand. No big scratches or dents, just 18K miles of road wear on them. Thanks guys for your input. I have no idea what I could use for this. My last vehicle still used the square glass bulbs.

2. May 13, 2008 at 3:27 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I use 'GS-29' scratch remover it has microcrystalline stuff in it that works wonders on that haze.

3. May 27, 2008 at 10:31 AM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    where do you get gs-29

4. May 27, 2008 at 10:40 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Hey 77- I find it here at the Kragen auto parts- Im sure you'll find it out there at the local auto parts store ( the 'chain' stores) comes in a tube that stands up on its cap. This stuff is great! It does OK on scratches as long as theyre not too deep-but I find it way more valuable on headlights AND it is a cool evener for after you apply toucup paint to a chip or scratch you swirl this stuff over and over on the site and it blends the surface nicely.

5. May 27, 2008 at 10:43 AM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    thanks ill go get some today ill let u know how it works out..:)

6. May 27, 2008 at 10:50 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Cool! You're going to like it. Just shake the tube really well, pour some onto a small cloth and just rub in circular motion-youll actually see that buildup disappearing as you rub. After you remove all that buildup get a terri towel and wipe excess off then for good protection apply a little sealant (or wax):)

7. May 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Guys I sanded on one of my headlamps to get the specks off and it worked and made it smooth as a baby's butt. Then you are left with a white opaque looking lamp assy. I used Flitz metal polish and went and bought a mini power ball for the drill and after an hour of polishing it looked new again. As a matter of fact it is this lamp below that got the sanding.

Tip when sanding headlamps: use more strokes, not more pressure. More pressure only makes more marks than you are trying to remove. Ask me how I know.......:)

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top