1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My clutch replacing efforts

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dylandercole, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Nov 18, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    thanks chris. i sure hope the hard part is done. If it fails then cleaning up the peices might be harder. (not to be peccemistic)

2. Nov 18, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    I sure hope there wont be a next time!! I wont be able to convince my dad to help again. Ill have to sell my sould to pay for it

3. Nov 18, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    your 19 there will be a next time...

4. Nov 18, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    yea your probably right. well im sure as hell not going to think about it until it comes around. Im waaaaay over this project. just want it to be done

5. Nov 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    VIIIIIIICCCCCCTTTTTTOOOOOORRRRRYYYYY!!!!!!!

ITs all done fellas. everything is put back together. took it for a test drive. everything works! its a miracle.

two problems that arent that big.
    1) when i was putting the stick shifts back on i accidentally broke off the wire running to my 4x4 button. now i only have 4lo but ill fix that this weekend.

2) my clutch is extremely sensative. like reaaaaly sensative. I havnt stalled my truck in like a year and i stalled it 4 times on the test drive. catches very quick and catches only like 2 inches from the floor. im hoping theres a break in period or something. but at least it works

Thank you to everyone that was so supportive during this whole proccess. TW is simply just an awsome place full of great people. thank you all again.

ericp95 likes this.
  6. Nov 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    :woot:
    im glad you for it all back together
    how many "extra pieces" did you have left over?
    i allways have them :(

7. Nov 18, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    i know you wont believe it. but none! i thought i did. but they ended up being the bolts that i was missing!

8. Nov 18, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    gofas

gofas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Ukiah
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Timberland Mica Access
    ImMrYo review mirror bracket.
    good job!

ericp95 likes this.
  9. Nov 18, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    You should be able to adjust the clutch, check ur repair manual for directions. I know I had to do that for my 94.

Good job getting it all done man, feels good doesn't it.

10. Nov 18, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    Sure does. I think its just I still have some air left in teh hydrolics. So its not pushing all the way making it catch real close to the floor. Im going to bleed it again tomarow and see how it feels. if that doesnt help ill try to adjust it. I drove it for about 20 miles a bit ago and im getting used to it. I think it just felt real foreign

11. Nov 18, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    the more your clutch wears the higher the pedal engages, you just have to make sure its bled good and get used to it being close for a bit until it wears in. My 2010 felt real close to the floor for the first 500 miles, better now

12. Nov 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    bawilson21

bawilson21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    WA
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 V6 4x4 5-speed
    Rear Diff Breather Extension Deck Plate Mod 31" Destination A/T 3" Body Lift Rancho 5000 Shocks Grey Wire 7Pin Tow harness
    So 4 years later from when you replaced your clutch, I find myself in the same situation. Except, I'll be working in an apartment complex parking lot. Its pretty chilly.. Hoping that I dont have this thing down for too long. I'm going to move soon so I need my truck to pull my trailer and with how much its slipping, that isnt going to happen right now. I hope it doesnt take me 30 hours to do. That would not be good. I'll probably take it up to a place with a lift though. Should save a little time. But I'm going to feed off of the words of encouragement you got.... So, thanks everyone for that!:eek:

13. Nov 15, 2013 at 3:03 AM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    I never pull the whole drive line just the section thats at the trans and mark it for phase timeing pull the bell houseing bolts and its done I hate the ellectrical above the trans cause theyre hard to unplug.. replace the rear main seal resurface the fly wheel replace the clutch pacs and the throw out bearing and reinstall without resting the trans on input shaft
    line it up and done.

14. Nov 15, 2013 at 4:34 AM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Yea this job took me around 4 hours with help actually pulling the trans off and slipping it back onto the input shaft.. its not too bad, but that doesn't include the time it took for the flywheel to be resurfaced.. ill say the very top bellhousing bolt is easiest to get to from inside the truck after you pull the shifter boots and shifters off, just connect a few extensions and I used a ratchet to break them all loose then spun em off with a chordless.. its not entirely too bad but good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top