1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Deadening Project

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by cutothechase35, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Dec 2, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Excellent write up.

I have a quote from Don as well. The same project as this, for about $100 more, the contents very though and I am not sure why. I have a Second Skin quote coming, I will ask for a Raam quote as well. Can't see the $550+ price tag for this.

2. Dec 3, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    UpstateTacoma

UpstateTacoma I'd rather be diving than working..

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    All Stock, future mods will be audio only!!
    I thought the ensolite that RaamAudio offered was the noise barrior. Yes the Raam Mat was the vibration supressor, but the ensolite was supposed to be the noise barrior. After i installed it, it was way quiter, i dont hear the road noise and my stereo with stock speakers sounds good.

From Raam Audio product page

3. Dec 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Ensolite is a closed cell foam. It's decent for high frequency barriers but road noise is anything but. For road noise you need to get closer to the 1lb per sqft zone for real noise blocking. That's where MLV comes in. Ensolite, by definition (being light) doesn't work well blocking lower frequencies like road noise. It's like using a screw driver instead of a drill to build a deck; the screw driver will help a little but it's not the proper tool for the job.

4. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    UpstateTacoma

UpstateTacoma I'd rather be diving than working..

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    All Stock, future mods will be audio only!!

Ahh well i am hearing impaired anyways since i wear the hearing aids so I guess the ensolite works good for me becasue i can tell a difference between not having it and having it. haha I guess sometimes i am thanksful that i am hard of hearing, otherwise i would of never met my hot wife..

5. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:55 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Everything happens for a reason; and that sounds (no pun) like it :D

6. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:40 AM
    machman

machman Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Alabama
    Vehicle:
    03 DC PreRunner TRD V6
    There is one thing that I have learned in my 37 years on this earth; many things in life are a "trade off". Looks like (didn't want to use "sound like" in your case) your on the winning side of that trade.:thumbsup:

7. Feb 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    IRDCTACO

IRDCTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    07 IR DC
    ItalynStylion,

Did you ever get the chance to compare your truck with a non deadened truck yet? I'm still up in the air in regards to using the MLV. I really don't find the road noise to be that offensive. I do find the wind noise to be pretty bad at interstate speeds so I was curious in regards to the difference your work has affected wind noise.

8. Feb 1, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    I used the same materials as IS. My suggestion is to do it. If you are tearing the truck apart anyways, might as well do it right the first time. As far as wind noise, all I get is the sound from the windows. Other than that, just the tires on concrete sections gets a little louder. I will take some video when I get a chance.

Good luck,

G3

9. Feb 1, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I've not had a chance yet to do any real testing. I was in radio shack the other day and I ALMOST bought the SPL meeter I'd need to do the testing. Wind noise is certainly the most amount of noise I get for sure. All from the windows/mirror areas. I'm thinking of a fix for that as well but it's tricky.

10. Feb 1, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    gokiburi

gokiburi New Member

Member:
    Hey Tacomaniacs! Stumbled across this post while researching my own sound deadening project (for a Honda car), and wanted to thank ItalianStylion and weigh in as well. My advice is - USE MLV!

I had reached the point in my install where I would either simply re-install the carpet over the Second Skin constrained layer damper and closed cell foam, or add a layer of MLV.

Like some of you, I debated the use of MLV (more money, not sure of the benefits, hard to source, etc.). I decided to go all out. I found a good deal on MLV at Super Soundproofing http://www.soundproofing.org/. I installed the MLV on just the floors about a week ago, and the difference was *very* noticeable vs. CLD and 1/4" foam only. I have yet to do the doors, but I expect even more improvement from that step.

My advice is that if you are going to go to all the misery of ripping your interior out, just do it right. The MLV is well worth the effort - unless you're some kind of hypermiler, but then you wouldn't want those heavy subs and amps, either.;) Thanks.

11. Feb 1, 2010 at 11:25 AM
    IRDCTACO

IRDCTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    07 IR DC
    Just curious to see if anyone else has tried this yet: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/57536-soundproofing-wind-noise.html

I know that MLV + CCF is the way to go but I'm having more fun designing a penny pinching system than what I'd regularly install. To fully soundproof the truck, I'd end up spending more than the sysytem itself. Besides, the truck really doesn't have that much road noise IMO, but the wind noise is pretty bad.

12. Feb 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I've thought about doing something similar but I've been a bit tied up. Give it a shot and report back man. Let us know if it's worth it.

13. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    geolink

geolink Well-Known Member

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB MagGray TRD SPORT
    Weathertech mats and hood protector, RuffTuff seat covers, padded console, Redline Hood Struts, Snugtop canopy w/Thule Rack, TSB rear springs plus AAL, 5100's all around OME 885 front coils, LR UCA, Avid Step Bars, LT265/70R17 BFG AT on stock Sport Rims
    I have done the wind noise weather stipping. For me it is well worth it.
    The key is to get the right profile of stripping, color match, and adhesive prep. Result, wind noise much reduced and for me dust proofed for my desert travels.

The remaining (wind/road?) noise I need to address is the rear cab wall. This may have been increased by my shell ....
    This thread gives me ideas for that project. Thanks!

14. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Maybe I missed it, but what was all involved in removing the center console and carpet once the seats were out?

15. Feb 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
  16. Aug 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    Plick1221

Plick1221 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner
    Bilstien 5100's set at 2.5", Toytec 2" AAL, K&N CAI
    Great Post! ItalynStylion you did an excellent job. This is the only way to properly quiet your vehicle. It takes mass to block noise ex. road noise transmitted thru the floor. The company that I work for manufactures these materials, and I deal with noise and vibration control on a daily basis. He does know what he is talking about. Products similar to Hushmat and Dynamat are only a damping layer. They do have some weight and mass, but not like a mass loaded vinyl.

17. Sep 22, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Check out the pictures directly afterward. I filled it with silicone.

18. Dec 15, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Thought I posted this before but maybe I forgot. Crude but you get the idea. It wont be like that with the stereo on loud but it's a hell of a lot quieter than it would normally be.

th_TacomaInstall004_101a5ca56cccbf51a8f47659b861ddd818e58ce0.jpg

19. Dec 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    My deadening was about the same as IS's and Id rate it as moderate. You definately can tell its deadened but its no where near DEAD or luxury car quiet. Mostly other cars around me are half as loud, my car's engine is half as loud, wind noise stayed the same, maybe 10% reduction. Can t tell yet. I used a sandwich of 1/8" foam, MLV, 1/8" foam on the doors vs all the foam on one side. I also did the roof with tiles and a sheet of 1/8" foam. I still need to put the drivers rear panel back on to get real results though cause there is no seal on the bottom of that door... its part of the door panel. Maybe I will think differently once that gets back on. Still have the primary noise which is the wind near the side mirror at 40+ MPH. You also cant deaden the glass which is where most of the noise gets in. I can feel the added 100 pounds to my vehicle too but I will add way more weight with other offroad accessories and I had become acustomed to driving with my whole interior removed except the driver's seat so it felt real light. Lots of noise gets transmitted directly through the chasis into the vehicle when you driuve over things. Notice other things like the dash rattling more where I didnt notice it before. IMO it certainly helps but the cars metal and glass thickness and double vs triple sealed doors limits the effectivenss. Its not like you cant tell but IMO its not amazing either.

20. Dec 17, 2010 at 4:45 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Not hard...but time consuming. The wires stuck to it are a pain in the ass once you FINALLY get it to drop. And getting it to drop takes the removal of EVERYTHING!
    Nope, we sure don't! I noticed that too when I was stripping everything. And to answer your question; there is noticeable pressure. When you're going and you turn on the AC you can feel it. It also makes the doors harder to close when you don't have a window or another door open. The truck is quite literally air tight.

Products Discussed in

To Top